Started by MiniDave, August 10, 2018, 07:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That was pretty darn cool.   And very well done.  I can't imagine how much work went into that.   And I don't think David Byrne would object either.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It occurred to me that more than a few of our members might not know the reference, so just in case......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

One evening a couple of months ago I went on a whiskey fueled nostalgia journey.  Talking Heads are an epic band from the 80's, pretty much a soundtrack (along with David Bowie and other alt artists) to my teen years.

A little later in the 90's this song would resonate with me. It would not do that until I was much older though.

Both my kids went to private schools, my younger one is 15 and is still in one, although it is not as big as the one before it, he goes to school with some mover and shakers kids. Like Federal Judges, notorious Lawyers, Doctors and well known local businessmen.

I am not cut from that cloth, I am a regular guy, grew up poor, father sucked and could not hold a job, never got anything I wanted unless I busted my ass to get it.

These people are alien to me, I do not belong among them.

When there was a school function we HAD to or HAVE to attend, this song rings in my head the entire time.

Key hook:

I do not belong here.

I do not, I am VERY lucky to be able to afford to send my son(s) to these schools and I know that.  Most people I meet at these schools have no idea how lucky they are to be whee they are.

Saw a quote today, from Vidal Sassoon, of all people. I felt it was very true.

Quote"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."

I busted my ass to get where I am I guess maybe calling it lucky would be wrong, lucky are the folks who's parents could afford to send the to college and nurture them to the point that they could only be successful.

Point is, when I am around these types, I feel so out of place, I just do not belong there.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring