Saw 481's Mini in person?

Started by MPlayle, December 10, 2009, 10:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I think I got to see 481's Mini in person while passing through Waco, Texas on my move to Fort Worth.  We stopped for lunch at a Schlotsky's in Waco that is next door to a Triumph and Ducati motorcycle shop right on IH-35.  There was a classic Mini that looks very much like his avatar parked in fornt of the cycle shop. 

94touring

Thats cool.  Sounds like you've been busy with the new job and relocation. 

MPlayle

Yeah, been busy getting finished with classes and relocated.  I start the new job Monday.

Off to a slow start unpacking today. 

You're right that's my Mini!  ;D Did you happen to notice how unbelievably filthy he is from the wet weather? I'll get time to clean him eventually...  :-\

You should have come into the shop, I'm always up for Mini talk. Might get in trouble with the boss...but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Lol! I got an email about a Mini gathering that is going to take place at the Elite Cafe on Jan. 2nd, you going to be there?

MPlayle

Had a friend driving the moving truck while I drove my MINI up for the move to Fort Worth.  We just stopped for lunch at the Schlotzky's on the way through.  I was tempted to pop around as see whose Mini it was.  Saw the "481" as we went past on the way to get back onto the highway and suspected it was your Mini.  Had a time schedule to maintain, so didn't stop in.  When we get the MOT forum site up, you'll have to join and keep up with what the classic Mini folks in Texas are up to.

I also heard about the Jan 2 function - mostly a new MINI thing.  Do not know what my availability will be.  I may be in San Antonio for the weekend - my parents are there as well as a lady-friend I am trying to form a relationship with.

94touring

Hey hows the new job?  Must be busy, haven't seen you around in awhile.

MPlayle

I've been dropping in quietly and reading any new posts then popping off again.  Mostly being quiet on all fronts.

New job has been keeping me a bit busy getting used to new software tools and approaches.  I also was running back down to San Antonio a lot for the holidays with my parents.  Actually stayed in Fort Worth this weekend to get some more unpacking and sorting done as well as fix the lock on the driver's door of my MINI.

The actuator went out a couple of weeks ago.  Had to order a replacement part, which came in yesterday.  Got it changed out today and the locking system reset.  The BINI system recognizes the driver's side as a "master" actuator and has to have the battery disconnected to force a reset of the coordination with the other locks.  Took a little over an hour to do the whole job of taking the door apart, getting the old lock out, getting the new lock in and properly connected, and the door put back together then resetting the system.  Now to figure out how to get behind the front bumper to replace one of the running light bulbs.  Then all the little maintenance things on it will be done (until the next thing decides to quit).

Cheers,
Michael Playle

MPlayle

Actually had some extra time on my way from Fort Worth to San Antonio today.  On my way through Waco, I stopped to finally meet Ryan at the motorcycle shop where he works.  Got to see his Mini up close and chat for a bit before getting back on the road to San Antonio.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

It was great to meet you Michael! :)

It's always good to put a face with a name. I enjoyed the Mini talk, and I can tell I have much to learn. Hope the trip to San Antonio went ok, I know that traffic on I-35 in this area can be quite a pain.

-Ryan