Dyno Day at Jesse Prather Racing

Started by MiniDave, May 04, 2018, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Definitely, nothing is set up at this time but I'll get Styers involved too.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I've been talking to Jesse Prather about a dyno date, he's fairly flexible right now but I would like to get a date set up sooner rather than later....my thinking is late Sept or early Oct would give us the best chance of cooler weather but no rain to worry about.

Jesse says it has to be a weekday as he's either racing or with family on weekends - to that end I'm thinking a Friday would be best?

Weigh in and let me know what will work for those of you wanting to come up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Friday would work for me.   Since it's 8+ hours from here, I'd probably tow my Mini there rather than driving it.  And I'd do that on the Thursday before.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

One of the September dates will conflict with the TxABCD in Round Rock, Texas.  I am not sure which yet.  Their website has not been updated with the 2018 schedule.

TxABCD Website

It would be a longer run for me (being about another 6 hours south of Bruce), but I may consider bringing the Moke for giggles.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Oct 5 works for me, I'll tentatively set it for then.

Michael, I would love to see you come up with your Moke, but I know it's a long drive. But hey, what else do you have to do?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wonder if Dan and Mark will have their cars running by then?

Cost is projected to be $110 each based on 10 people, they way the Brit club did it was that included lunch, sodas, cookies etc from Subway so no one had to leave or stop the proceedings.....The dyno day costs $1000.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If Mark can build a whole car by October, I'll hire him full time.  My car will maybe, and it's a big maybe, done by October. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Mark doesn't need his car finished, just running!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm sure mine will be running.  Just not sure how road ready and buttoned up it will be. 

gr8kornholio

Lol. Yea maybe a rolling chassis with a way to run the motor.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

stan360

Quote from: MiniDave on June 06, 2018, 02:26:58 PM
I'm sure there's a race shop in your area that does dyno - tuning, the problem is would they know anything about SU's, and would they have a selection of needles to dial it in? Maybe the Brit's Bits guy knows of one?

Maybe the folks you took Emma to for the alignment know of a shop in your hood?

If not, make a trip to KC (well, Topeka actually), if they can get similar results to what John and Susan's car got it would be well worth the trip!

I'm hoping to get another dyno day set up for the fall - you don't want to do it when it's 95* and a million percent humidity like it is here in the summer, but you'd be welcome to join us - 8 hour trip from your hood. Maybe Dan would have his hot rod together by then and you both could come up? I know I can get a few folks from KC with classics to go, and Don definitely wants to get the Pup on the rollers. We need about 10 folks to make it cost effective.....I'm sure there are a couple of local Lawrence (Stan?) and Topeka folks who didn't get to go to this session that will come, I'm pretty sure we can get 10 people/cars together.

I just seen this !   AGGH that would of been so fun.  I am going if this is an option in the fall ! 

MiniDave

Absolutely Stan, save the date - October 5....we need 10 cars altogether.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Oh I'm sure the group who is able to go can divvy up the difference if it's under 10.   

MiniDave

I appreciate that, but we'll have some local guys too, so no worries.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Spoke to Jesse today, and we are tentatively booked in for Oct 5th. He's looking forward to seeing all our little Brit cars and seeing what he can do with them!

So all you  guys who are just treading water on your builds, get busy!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Posting for two reasons:

1) Bring this back to the top.

2) Ask for additional details in order to book a room somewhere.

Dave,

Any additional details you can provide for those of us that would like to come from way out of town?  Places nearby to stay, etc.?

MiniDave

Absolutely, the shop is on the southeast side of Topeka, Ks and there are plenty of hotels in the area - I live about an hour away - in Overland Park, a suburb on the west side of KC. The address of the shop is:

Jesse Prather Motorsports
4950 SE Adams
Topeka, KS 66609
785-249-0284

There are a lot of very reasonably priced hotels near the shop and the track right down the road.

Details are we'll show up at the shop about 8 am and he'll load the first car on the dyno. Each run takes between 20 min to a half hour and as we get closer to the date I'll set up a schedule. Everyone is welcome to hang out at the shop while the other cars are being run on the dyno - I find it fun to see what kinds of results the different cars bring. Right now my plan is to have all the classics run first, there will be some new MINIs in the afternoon.

We'll break for lunch around noon and start back up about 1-ish.

I was hoping there might be an event at the nearby Heartland Park Road course that weekend but it appears not, however it's only a few miles down the road if anyone wants to go see the track - I've done probably 500 laps there over the years!  77.gif

Mplayle, google says it's less than 12 hours from San Antonio to Topeka, so not too bad.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm really looking forward to this.  Now all I've got to do is get my car back together before that weekend.   

Michael, I imagine you are towing the Moke up there rather than driving it?   I will be towing rather than driving.  Perhaps we could caravan up together? I'm planning on leaving here Thursday morning and hitting Topeka by late afternoon.  Friday is on the dyno.  And then heading back home on Saturday.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

We need to get Dan's ass in gear and get his hot rod Mini here too!

I'm hoping to get Deighton to bring this Bugeye up too, it may only be making 35hp at the wheels but it would be nice to see if they can get any more out of it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad