i dislike spam- rant

Started by 94touring, November 06, 2009, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Wether its spam sent to my email, or spammers trying to get into the website to post up crap, junk spam mail in an actual mail box, phone spam via lets move your junk in our truck, or the door to door sales pitch spam.  Once every year or two I get college age kids knocking on my door trying to compete with the opposite sex for some kind of points system BS that gets them a free trip to the bahamas or some crap and all I gotta do is donate 20 bucks and it goes to a good cause and something about school and blah blah blah.  They talk fast, don't take no for an answer and its very annoying to be interupted with this.  Not sure why people can't take no for an answer.  Last time I said no thanks I'm not interested and the guy kept going on and on and began to say how much money I must make because I'm a pilot (he started off by asking what I do for a job) untill I finally interupted and said how about you give me money to pay back MY student loans and give me a free trip to some island.  Followed by a door to the face.  Tonight I got another knock on the door.  Here I am looking through the peep hole at two sketchy looking guys, one of them sticking his tongue out and creepily saying hello and the other grease ball standing there laughing.  So I decided to open the door and greet them.  The split second I open the door the sales pitch starts, followed by him giving me a limp handshake.  I despise limp handshakes.  As soon as I get Mr. Limp Hands to slow down for a second I say no thanks I'm not interested.  He follows it up by asking do you know what we're even doing, and I say yes.  He asks so what are we doing then (as if to challenge me), to which I respond, wasting my time..... end scene door to the face and exit left please.  Not that I'm the best salesman in the world, and I actually think I'm a horrible sales person, but for the love of goodness show some respect.  Bombarding people with fast talk, stinking your tongue in my peep hole laughing, and giving me a handshake like you couldn't give a rats ass is not a good way to be asking for a handout.  Rant over.   ;D               

MiniGene

So...if have about 45 minutes I'd like to talk to you about our Lord Jesus Christ.

Minicop

Next time just answer the door while your in the middle of "cleaning your gun". Answer the door with it in your hand. That will do the trick. That little peice of metal works wonders. When I'm on duty, and if a suspect starts giving me trouble, I put my hand on my gun and he usually shuts right up. ;D Don't be threatning with it, just have it in your hands.   

xcc_rider

I find my 110 lb Great Pyrenees is a great conversation ender. First the knock, then the really loud/deep barking starts, the door opens, they move 5 steps backwards and ask if the screen door will stop the dog, I reply NO, they spout out a feeble version of they're speel, they leave before they're eaten...

No problem.  ;D     

Now I'm on the "avoid" list and don't get hardly any door to door visitors anymore.     dan

Holy bajebbas that's a lot of spam you're getting.

Lately here at the shop we've been getting a lot, I mean AAAA LOOOTT, of telemarketers calling. Here I am trying to take care of customers that walk into the store and I have to listen to this guy try to be funny and sell me a package deal for 500,000 industrial strength zip ties or some other useless crap. I used to just hang up or ask to be taken off the call list, but the calls just kept coming. So for the past month I've been telling them, ' Hey, right now is not a good time, can you call back some other time? '. To which they reply, ' Okay when would be a good time for us to call back? '. I tell them ' Well, it's best to call between the hours of 1am-4am Sunday morning. '. There is usually a long pause, then they tell me they will make a note of it in the computer. Needless to say the calls have thinned out!!  :) I think my little plan is working!  ;D

As far as the door to door stuff, If it's a Mormon or some other religious folk, I tell them I'm Atheist and they usually take a hint and leave.

gasmini

Quote from: 481 on November 11, 2009, 07:39:11 AM

As far as the door to door stuff, If it's a Mormon or some other religious folk, I tell them I'm Atheist and they usually take a hint and leave.
Take an empty beer can to the door and offer them one. If they want one tell them you'll be right back, close the door and forget about them.

Quote from: gasmini on November 12, 2009, 04:21:13 PM
Quote from: 481 on November 11, 2009, 07:39:11 AM

Take an empty beer can to the door and offer them one. If they want one tell them you'll be right back, close the door and forget about them.

LOL Now that's a good idea! I'm going to ask the next set of Mormons that knock on the door, ' Hey, is it true that the underwear you guys wear REALLY protects you from knives, bullets, demons, etc.?? '   :o