1964 Austin Cooper 'Barn' Find

Started by Lone Star Mini, January 14, 2018, 12:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

There is more to the story, but in a nut shell...  New Years Eve and 18 hours away from home, I grabbed my brother-n-law to go knock on the door of a complete stranger who had interesting Cars in his front yard lite up with Christmas lights.  We arrived and found a very interesting/welcoming couple cutting down a pecan tree in their front yard.  We said 'hello' and made introductions.  Then we were given an intriguing tour of their car collection.  Around the house they had all kinds of good conditioned classics including a 1950's London Cab.  Most of the cars were French.  Then we were shown inside the shop/'barn' behind their house where they had approx 22 classics in various stages of restoration, most all European.  I gathered that their pride possessions were the Austin 7's.  Not being the car buff, I couldn't remember all the cars, but they were all really cool including the Model-T hidden under all kinds of 'stuff'.  I thought the Bug-eyed sprites were incredibly cute.  As we walked through their 'barn', tucked away was a 1964 Austin Cooper that looked in really good shape for it's age.  I was so fascinated in this MK1 that I lagged behind our personal tour to snap a picture trying not to appear rude.  At the end of this fascinating tour of cars, we were chatting in the front yard where I learned the Mini was one of their 'loves' and has been sitting since 2002ish.    Before leaving, I specifically asked for their contact information.  An 18 hour drive home gave me plenty of time to discuss with my wife on the idea of trying to buy the Cooper.  My wife agreed that if I sell my beloved car that has been sitting in our garage (1991 560 SEL Mercedes), I could attempt to buy the Cooper.  Therefore two days later and back in Texas, I sent the couple an email asking if they would consider selling the Mini.  They had put some cars up for sale, but he told me that he was most reluctant in selling the mini after owning it for over 30 years.  He simply could not make up his mind and didn't wish to part with the car.  It may not be the most sought after MK1, but the find to me was SPECTACULAR and ended my 2017 on a exciting note.  A day before I had already struck a good deal on Mini parts and now here I was looking at a nicely kept MK1.  I have read about 'Barn' finds over in the UK, but have not heard much of Mini barn finds here in the States?!?   After a few email exchanges and waiting almost two weeks for them to decide, it appears that the couple likes me well enough and is going to sell me their Austin Cooper.  I'm still waiting on further information, but it appears to actually be an American market mini from the 60s (?).  We currently have a gentlemens agreement that I will purchase the car, but it's not actually mine until I take delivery of it.  Now just to plan another 18 hour road trip... 
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Congrats!

So it hasn't run since 2002 or even longer? Bit of  hill to climb to get it running again, but certainly worth the effort!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Very cool Randy!  Nice to know there are still cars hidden out there and your sleuthing paid off.    Good luck with it.   From the single photo of the Mini I can see that it does have the chrome trim around the door window as expected on a Cooper.  It looks like it is missing the flange that the front bumper would mount to, but that can be fixed. (it was somewhat popular in the 70s to remove the front and rear bumpers and the flanges they sit on to make the cars looks smoother and 'cleaner'.  It was often done to Bugeye Sprites too). 

The other cars are very interesting too.  I like the old cab and the 2CV, and the Austin 7!.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

@Dave..  while it hasn't run on the road since then, I think he has started it since that time.  He told me last night that it turned over and shouldn't be too much of problem getting it running.  We shall see.  According to the VIN and Engine numbers and thank to BruceK, it does appear to be a 998 even though the owner told me it was a 997.
@Bruce..  you are right on (as always)... here a  picture of the current owner in his younger years with both the Mini and the sprite w/o bumpers... the owner told me that he does not have the bumpers at all.   

I've inquired about the floor pan and other rust.  I did receive close up pictures of some rust areas.. nothing near as bad as what my current mini has.  I was hoping the valve cover would have some cool Austin insignia, but it's fairly plain.  Anyone know if that is typical or could this be an aftermarket item?  The steering wheel has "Racemark" on it.. that doesn't look original, but ??  They told me the seats (front and rear) are in excellent condition.  I've learned that the definition of 'excellent' has wide range of definitions.

Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Aftermarket steering wheel and valve cover...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 14, 2018, 03:41:46 PM
Aftermarket steering wheel and valve cover...

Right.  All Minis came with stamped steel valve covers.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

The '64 Austin Cooper is now officially mine now that I have it home.  I'm definitely in over my head and I wonder .. "what the H@#!" I'm doing.  Next to you guys, I have no business buying this car even with all best intentions of a full restoration "one day".  Once again, I learned of the vast differences between my definition and other people's "excellent" condition of items.  I went with zero expectation, therefore I was no disappointed although I did return home with a few questions in my head about the history of the Mini.  I spent half the day with the couple (along with my half my family).  They treated us like family including a 3-4 course British lunch and a proper tour of their home and shop.  I lost count at around 35 Classic Vehicles and learned that the Show 'American Car Pickers' approached them asking if they could do a show, but this couple did not wish for the world to know what they have hidden away.  None-the-less, they allowed me to take video of most of the vehicles.  You guys would be ashamed of me as I can't remember all the names nor could I grasp the true respect of the vehicles.  A few of the classic had low "build numbers" which to me suggested they were some of the first off the assembly lines.   In the end, we left their home with a '64 Cooper in tow.  It now resides in my garage where it will most likely sit for some time as I learn on the '82 Mini and it's restoration.  When time allows, I will make a short video of the barn "find" including some of the vehicles that I was allowed to film...  respectfully..  'Way over my head'
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

So I can expect it at my shop in about a year?  ;D

MiniGene

What great story.  Looking forward to seeing pics and following the progress.

Lone Star Mini

Thanks MiniGene,   I will take pictures of the car as it sits, but I doubt I will do anything other than order parts as finances allow over the next couple of years.  We have too many "home" projects going on at the moment, but I will attempt to make a short video of how I found this Cooper surrounded by many other classics....
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Knowing my friend was coming for a visit from the UK, I found and purchased this period steering wheel for the '64 Cooper.  I think this ebay purchase simply went in my favor because nobody else made a bid (I think it could have gone much worse).  The gent I purchased it from would not ship to the USA so I had him ship it to my friend who in turn brought it over for me.  This steering wheel (in my opinion) was a great find because I paid $150 and it is in really great shape.  There is a small amount of glazing on the center crest, but this is one case where the pictures actually look worse than the real thing (generally opposite).  The entire diameter is beautifully clean and will go perfect on the Cooper
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Great find! So many of those were taken off back in the day, you'd think there would be thousands just lying about. They do change the driving dynamics compared to the little 13" wheels everybody seems to prefer......make it much easier to steer and it doesn't dart about so much on the highway.

Really nice that you got free courier service from the UK!

My brother lives in the Midlands, so he can always go eyeball stuff I'm trying to buy if I need him too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Glad you got the wheel you wanted Randy.  I've got a near perfect condition Mk. I wheel like that one - except mine has a Morris horn push instead of an Austin - sitting in a box.   I know it's valuable because they are so rare now, but didn't know how much.    Maybe I should find a Mk. I to go with my steering wheel?   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Dan has one.....just waiting to be built....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

My wife hasn't said anything, but it would probably be pushing things to go behind my current list of toys.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

After seeing BAT prices I'd sell it built up, but for about 80k  77.gif