Looking for info on hagerty insurance

Started by 94touring, November 29, 2017, 11:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I know a number of classic mini owners use Hagerty.   With the latest antique soon to be added to my fleet plus shop truck, I'm wondering if I need to switch up insurance a bit. Not to mention eventually I'll have all my minis road worthy.  Insurance through state farm is starting to add up and their antique insurance while inexpensive limits mileage to 1000 anually.  Those of you who use Hagerty can you tell me their limitations and rough cost per car?

MiniDave

I use Grundy, it's about $300 total for both my Jag and Mini together per year, these are stated value policies, if it gets wrecked they write me a check for that and they get the car. It's full on insurance, with the usual medical, comp etc, and includes towing. I think my deductible is $200. No mileage restrictions, just can't race it on track.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Can you buy it back or do they keep it no matter what?

MiniDave

Dunno......they're not in the car buying and selling business, so all they'll do is scrap it or sell it to a scrap yard or something so I'll bet you can buy the remains.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

What are the restrictions with Grundy?  I'm guessing the cars they insure can't be your daily driver and you have to show that you own another car as your DD, right?

What about annual mileage restrictions?   Are there any limitations on how you can use it?  (other than the aforementioned track use).   I've heard of some classic car policies that are extremely restrictive on use (e.g. only to/from car show, only on club events, can't take the car to go out to dinner, or to run to the hardware store, etc.)

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Just wouldn't want my mini totaled and they get a new 1275 out of the deal.

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on November 29, 2017, 02:32:07 PM
What are the restrictions with Grundy?  I'm guessing the cars they insure can't be your daily driver and you have to show that you own another car as your DD, right?

What about annual mileage restrictions?   Are there any limitations on how you can use it?  (other than the aforementioned track use).   I've heard of some classic car policies that are extremely restrictive on use (e.g. only to/from car show, only on club events, can't take the car to go out to dinner, or to run to the hardware store, etc.)

This is the problem with state farm. Sure you can drive it....onto the trailer.

BruceK

Although this article is nearly 10 years old, it makes for interesting reading on the exclusions/restrictions of classic car insurance.   

http://www.acarplace.com/cars/insurance.html
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Petrolicious has an article on classic car insurance (with a photo of a Mini !)  ;D

https://petrolicious.com/articles/your-guide-to-classic-car-insurance

which includes this chart.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Right, no restrictions on use, car has to be garaged and can't be considered a daily - the proof of that is that you own other, more modern cars.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

I currently have American National insurance for my Mini.   I think Mark uses the same company to insure his Oz Mini.  Previously I had JC Taylor insurance on my last Mini.   Never made a claim on either company.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm pretty sure Don has Hagerty on his Pup and Midget......I'll ask him how they are to work with...

Grundy was pretty easy to set up, they wanted a few pictures, then they run it past their underwriters and when they get the OK, they email you a contract with terms....you choose the terms you want, they give you a quote - if you accept it you're done.

When I added Buzz, all I did was send them some pics and told them what value I wanted and they added it to my policy.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Does grundy require the car to be 25 years old? The rx7 turns 24 in January.

Edit: 25 years old doesn't matter.  Quote of $655 a year for the rx7, mini, and crosley.  Will inquire if the cars can be bought back in an unfortunate event.

gr8kornholio

Yea Bruce I use the same insurance.  It's 220 a year on an agreed value of 20K.  Believe they said up to 50K they don't need an actual appraisal.  If you're worried about loosing out just put the value at what it'd actually cost to replace it.  Guy I bought it from had it at 30K so he could get a vtec if it got wrecked.

Only real restriction is don't daily it and 5K miles.  But they didn't take an initial odometer reading and I'm aloud to drive it anywhere, including work.  I don't remember them asking about other cars but they might have.  Know they didn't ask for any proof though.  And as Bruce has stated, haven't made a claim.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

I had JC Taylor the customer service was not great it was very hard to make a payment any way other than paper check in the mail. So I called Hagerty WOW what a difference took all of 5 minutes to have stated value insurance almost no restrictions and the proof of insurance was in my email before I got off the phone super happy with them so far. JC Taylor made it sound like if I stopped at the store for a Pepsi while on a pleasure drive I would have no coverage because I was running errands with my car.  Pretty much with JC Taylor you could maybe drive your car once in a while and might maybe kinda have coverage maybe if, or, but, OH no you did that forget it you're on your own good luck.

Hagerty said to drive it no mileage limit really the only thing they said was it can't be my main daily driver.
They were not worried at all about taking to the store or to work now and then.