MPI Headliner

Started by 481, October 13, 2009, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys,

My '99 is going into the paint booth in the next month or so and I need a headliner. Where's the best place to get a headliner for a '99 with a webasto sunroof? (I think that's what brand sunroof is, whatever is OEM to a '99 MPI)

Thanks in advance!  :)

94touring

I haven't seen any for a webasto, but I haven't really been looking either.  Have you checked with 7ent, minisport, or minispares? 

I'm not gonna lie. I came here first without looking. I figured one of you guys with your infinite Mini wisdom might know off the top of your head. Guess I better start looking! I'll look for a headliner and end up buying all sorts of other stuff, Minis are an addiction... ;D

94touring

I just did a quick search but didn't come up with anything for a webasto style roof.  I suspect you could probably just cut out where the sun roof is anyhow.  Are their even any ribs that hold part of the headliner up in one of those things?

Nope, no ribs. That's the tricky part I guess. My painter was looking at it and there is no way he would be able to save it. The stuff is thinner than t-shirt material. I think you're right, I'll probably have to get one fore a '96-'00 and make it work.

Maybe this one? http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Headliner96%2B

I sent an email to the GB Cars guy to see if he knows of anything. I wonder if a good upholster could get the job done with stuff they have lying around? There's hardly any headliner there because the sunroof is so big, seems kind of pricey at $200 or so to cut a big hole in the center. Hmmmmm....

EDIT: Sorry not $200! I thought it said $193, but its $139! That's a little better I guess...

94touring

Yeah considering there isn't much there, you might want to check out local apholsters.  They may be just as expensive though.  $140 isn't horrible considering you'll get the corner pieces in the back too.   

Yeah, true. All of it is pretty dirty including the corner pieces, I didn't realize how bad it was till I pulled some of the molding back :-X.

I'll wait and see what this guy recommends, then I'll go see my buddy Ed at the upholster shop!

Well, the verdict is in. I'll have to buy a normal headliner and cut a hole in it. O well, now I know!  ;D

94touring