Deseaming Rusty

Started by Hayman9644, October 08, 2009, 07:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayman9644

Advice dont do what I did.  LOL I started deseaming the left A pillar.    I should of started somewhere out of direct line of sight like the rear lower quarter or something.  Plus this car has alot of rust so its fine then it blows out.  I think Batman poared salt down the inside of the pillars   JK Batman.  I am learning that at the seams the metal isnt even. 

94touring

Wait, so what happened exactly?  It gave in or something? 

MPlayle

The technique that was once described to me as being the "correct technique" for deseaming is rather time consuming.  Since the original seams are spot welded and sealed, you first have to fully weld the existing seam line.  Then you partially grind down the seam to the point of just removing the weld of the section ground down.  Then that section gets re-welded and a new section ground down.  This gets repeated over and over until the seam has been ground away and the panels remain welded together.  The theory behind this is supposed to be that it keeps the panels somewhat attached together (from separating completely) and preserves the existing panel alignment.  It is usually done this way as most of the seams are very difficult to fully weld the backside before removing the seams.  The panel edges a well known for not being perfectly matched up when the cars were built new.

94touring

I suppose you could cut out a series of sections along the seam, weld them together, then cut out the rest of the seam and finish welding. 

batman1usa

Quote from: Hayman9644 on October 08, 2009, 07:45:57 PM
Advice dont do what I did.  LOL I started deseaming the left A pillar.    I should of started somewhere out of direct line of sight like the rear lower quarter or something.  Plus this car has alot of rust so its fine then it blows out.  I think Batman poared salt down the inside of the pillars   JK Batman.  I am learning that at the seams the metal isnt even. 

sO now the Green Beast is "Rusty"....  are you saying like salt came out of the pillar or was that a comment on the rust inside being caused from salt?

Hayman9644

I think the rust was caused by the good old British AIR.  LOL  But Hey I have to give you a hard time.  Yeh I call him/her RUSTY it was either that or PATCHES.   Rusty sounded tougher LOL  What do you think John? 

94touring

I call BS untill I see some pictures! 

Hayman9644

O man thats harsh Dan.  LOL  I can barely weld this thin stuff.  and now you want pictures?  Dang     I welded some more today and used the tack the backside and then do the outside method.  I also used the cooper sheet as a back up and it worked great.  Any holes that a blew thru on I used that and I could lay a bead rather than having to tack and cool tack and cool.  Anyway thats the latest.

joltfreak

when i deseamed my mini we welded a strip on the inside to hold both panels to together and also to give it strength to the body which will not allow the stresses of driving cause the welded seam to crack.
check out the official website for updates!!!!!