A few days at a funeral

Started by 94touring, October 10, 2017, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Trying to think how to go about telling this story. 

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/oleantimesherald/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=186852102&referrer=0&preview=True

Found out a very respected and loved uncle passed away last week.  I grew up in northern pa and spent my childhood on his farm. My dad who passed away and his brother we very close, and I suppose naturally myself and his two kids became close too.  It was and has been a huge part of my life.  It's hard to describe how vast my family is and how tight we are, but I brought Jen and even she was like holy shit there's tons of you. The grandparents had 8 kids and those kids had a lot of kids and so on.  342 total people signed the guest book and many didn't sign in at all.  Everyone knows each other in detail too.  We use to have massive family gatherings on the farm and this was no different.  Jen and I would get there first thing in the morning before everyone else and be there till after everyone left, like old times when myself, cousins, their parents and my parents would talk, swap stories, and joke all day. It was really fantastic and super cool to show her my roots. 
Now for the drama.  Everyone remember my uncle and cousin I had at the shop I tried helping out?  Those two came to the funeral as well.  There were rumblings throughout the week about them and what they did with me, cause the family talks.  Some people were concerned.  I kept my distance and pretended they were invisible at the actual funeral.  They never showed at the farm...till this morning 30 minutes prior to my departure.  Myself, 4 cousins, the widowed aunt, a cousins wife, jen and myself are at the table talking. These two come in and stand there for awhile acting unusual.  I pay no attention. Jeff (bad uncle) comes around to act like he's going to say goodby to my cousin Brent. Grabs the back of my shirt to try and intimidate/man handle what have you. He says a few choice words. Blaine (bad cousin) while this is going on sucker slaps, not punch, girl slaps me in the side of the face while I'm focused on Jeff.  I casually get up and face off/just kinda stand there prepared. Blaine acts like he wants to fight but not really.  If he was looking for a fight all he had was the lady slap. I simply call him a coward. By this point the others were launching Jeff out the door and Blaine just left with him.  My guess is he wanted me to throw the first punch to sue.  If they were trying to be shunned by the family for good, that solidifies it in front of several branches of the family. They had been staying in my old grandmothers house after my shop ordeal, but are now because of this stunt, evicted.

Brent and I at his dads favorite bar after the funeral.  Oh and I apparantly inherited my uncle's crosley he restored.

MiniDave

Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing.

Every family has "those guys" in it, it sounds like your family knows how to deal with them. The best thing that can happen is for you to not have to deal with them ever again.

Congrats on the new car, did you drive it back to Tulsa?   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

He was truly a great man.  Anything I'd try to say about him online wouldn't do him justice. 

So long as they stay far away.

At some point I'll have to make arrangements for the car.  It's highly sentimental for me and a huge honor frankly.

John Gervais

A Crosley?  Wicked Cool - I almost bought a 1947 when I was in college, kinda wish I had!  Guess I missed the 'garage saga', gonna have to start reading threads from time to time (too much stuff going on, mental paralysis...). 

Sorry to hear about your uncle too -
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

When he slapped you, you should have screamed like a little girl.

Than asked, "Honestly, who slaps another man?"

Glad they outed themselves and showed their asses to the family.  They sealed their own fate.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I understand Jen's response to your large family....the first time Rose met my immediate family of brothers, sisters. their spouses and a few of their kids - she was overwhelmed.

I have 7 brothers and sisters, my mom had 7 and my dad 5......like yours they all had kids and grandkids and so on. It's interesting that all my siblings each had two children (me too) and all of our kids also had 2 children....except for my daughter - she had 5!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on October 11, 2017, 07:19:42 AM
I understand Jen's response to your large family....the first time Rose met my immediate family of brothers, sisters. their spouses and a few of their kids - she was overwhelmed.

I have 7 brothers and sisters, my mom had 7 and my dad 5......like yours they all had kids and grandkids and so on. It's interesting that all my siblings each had two children (me too) and all of our kids also had 2 children....except for my daughter - she had 5!

Ha!  Yeah I've never given it much thought. 

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on October 11, 2017, 05:49:03 AM
When he slapped you, you should have screamed like a little girl.

Than asked, "Honestly, who slaps another man?"

Glad they outed themselves and showed their asses to the family.  They sealed their own fate.

Jen and I are flying home and a guy wearing a pink blouse type top carrying a purse walked by.  Pretty sure he had on makeup too.  Anyways I go check out that guy, I bet he hits like Blaine.

MiniDave

Right....when you grow up with a large family it becomes normal and natural, but for an outsider it can be a bit of a rush.

I didn't understand why Rose was so flustered by them all, she only has one brother but comes from a large Italian family with tons of cousins uncles and aunts.....I guess it was because they weren't her family.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm sorry to hear of your uncle's death.

Both my parents were only children, so I don't have any uncles or aunts or cousins and I can't really relate to the 'big family' dynamic and all the advantages and disadvantages that must come with it.  Sounds like you have experienced the best and, and unfortunately, some of the worst a big family has to offer. 

Can't wait to hear more about your new car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

" I bet he hits like Blaine"

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life, son.   ;D

( Dean Wermer in Animal House)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

Here's the crosley hotshot.  This is I believe is early 50s.  They went on to add doors to them in 51/52, calling it a super sport.  My uncle and aunt.

MiniDave

Wow, that looks to be in fantastic condition! Where will you keep it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

He did a good job on it.  It will stay at the shop mostly.  Forces me to only have a project at a time for others!