3D Printer

Started by BruceK, August 30, 2017, 04:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I don't have a need for a 3D printer, but I have been fascinated with them since first becoming aware of the technology about 6 years ago.  I haven't kept up, but last time I looked home hobby ones were priced about $1,200.   

So I was pretty surprised to see that Amazon has one on sale right now for under $200.  Now you can make stuff you don't really need for a lot less!   Still, I think it would be a fun toy to play with.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Select-Printer-Heated-Filament/dp/B01FL49VZE/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_e543_d739697b?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4a5c8032-5553-4252-88d3-4dd649b0e543&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=4CVFHCBJ9031Q8DEFJ7S

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

What would you make with it?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dunno.  Make key fobs? 

Not sure what anyone does with them.   The technology is cool though.  And I think that's about the only reason people buy them - to be the first on their block to have one.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

A friend of mine that needed a spacer in order to install a Helicopter part, called upon a fellow forum member and friend to make it.

Result after specs given on a forum:

Installed:

I am toying with one as well I want my 14 y/o to mess with it more than anything.

I just brought home my POS wire feed Harbor Freight Welder,  I told him I want him to learn how to weld. He said it must be like soldering (which I taught him) I laughed and said yeah, jusgt a lot more violent. That piqued his interest for sure.

Once he gets that down I am rewarding him with a build it yourself mini bike.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson