George Adams

Started by Jims5543, August 10, 2017, 01:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

My Grandfather George Adams was / is a big part of why I am a motorhead today. He is also a huge part of why I am the person I am today. Noticing my old man was a Neanderthal, my Grandfather took me under his wing and worked hard to make sure I grew up to be a gentleman. I may have posted this before.  He taught me how to shake hands like a confident man, to hold doors for woman, dining etiquette, how to swing a golf club etc...

Out of the blue one day a man emailed me and asked if I was his grandson. We exchanged emails back and forth, I send him some pictures of my grandfathers old BMC shop in NYC that he owned in the 60's and 70's.

I received an email a few months back with the article he wrote about his time working in that shop and my grandfather.

http://interconnectingcircles.com/coming-of-age-at-adams-mahoney
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

What a great story, thanks for the great read!

My first real job in the car bidness was working for a man named George too, he ran a small import shop in the basement of a Fina gas station and the conditions were very much as in the story.......although I worked on everything and did all sorts of jobs, some of them on extremely expensive and rare cars like a 38 Rolls Phantom III, Ferrari 275, Maserati 3500 GT and Mercedes 300 SL.

Lots of memories in that story for me too......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It was a very interesting article, and I really liked learning about the personalities of the different people as well as the work environment back then.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Really cool.  And I need one of those oil pitchers.