Fall Run to Cuba - CANCELED!

Started by MiniDave, June 16, 2017, 10:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Missouri, that is!   ;D

Plans are being formed for our fall run this year, looks like our destination will be Cuba, Mo. One of our Mini buddies Don Ruder lives in Steelville, about 10 miles from Cuba and he knows every road, path, hiway and byway in the entire southeastern part of the state, so he will lead us on our runs. He also knows all the good places to stop for a leg stretch and  gadabout, to make our drives that much more interesting. I usually plan to drive down on Thursday, do our runs on Friday and Sat, and drive home on Sunday, but the schedule is flexible.

We have stayed at the Wagon Wheel Inn in the past, but this year unless I'm voted down I thought we might stay at the slightly more modern Super 8, the price is less and the amenities better, although the WW does have it's charms, not the least is the restaurant right next door.

Dates are being firmed up, but as of now the last week of Sept or first week of Oct are the targets.

So, make plans if you can to join us, I promise it will be worth the drive, as a good time will be had by all!

A few pics from past runs.....

The first year it was just the three of us, and I didn't have my classic on the road yet....

The next time I still didn't have Buzz on the road yet, but the group got bigger.

Our next run got even bigger, and this time I had a Classic of my own!

Every time we go we have fun tho, so plan to join us!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I mentioned it to my wife, her only comment was to remind me Oct first is our grandsons birthday. Otherwise looks good.

94touring

Brad you should just move out this way!

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on June 17, 2017, 05:31:11 AM
Brad you should just move out this way!
If I did then I would be driving back this way to the mountains.😁

94touring

Summer and winter homes?!

Willie_B

Just had a chance to look, only 650ish miles from home.

MiniDave

Hop and a skip!   ;D  way closer than Texas tho, huh?

Dooder got his Cooper S running tonight, so I'm hopeful he'll join us too - he's asked me to keep him posted on the details.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I usually go to the TXABCD in Round Rock, Texas near that time - the last weekend in September (22, 23, 24 this year).

I don't know if I will have the Moke anywhere near ready (especially with my luck lately of step forward, step backward).

Would you guys allow a 2016 Clubman to tag along?

MiniDave

Michael, if you make the effort to join us, you can certainly ride along with us!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

Keep me posted on the details.

MiniDave

Does it have to be a weekend for you all to attend, or would mid week work just as well?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

At this point, either would work for me.  (Still just "self employed" on the one contract with lots of flexibility.)

MiniDave

I think most of us work a flexible schedule or are retired, just checking to see what will work best.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Gutcheck

Rally America one day event in Potosi MO Oct. 7th

MiniDave

Didn't they used to do this event in Feb?

It's looking more and more like the last week of Sept will work best.

How's your car coming, Gutcheck? I still want to come up for a visit soon.....

Potosi is just down the road a bit from Steelville, where Ruder lives!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Gutcheck

Main rally in March this year fun event. Getting to stages a bit of a rally. Scheduled this one day event at Potosi this year.? Going to pull wiring harness, it's a hacked up mess and someone before me pulled the connections off everything. Most bolt on parts removed as well, your welcome to drive out, just give me some notice.

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on June 21, 2017, 09:16:27 AM
Does it have to be a weekend for you all to attend, or would mid week work just as well?

As long as I can be home on Oct 1 I am good whenever.

MiniDave

OK WillieB, we'll work around that date then......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

UPDATE!

We've finally nailed down our dates for our fall run to Cuba, Mo......

Mark your calendars, get you Minis running and come on over for a fun weekend!

We will go Sept 28, 29, 30, and Oct 1,

The roads in the area are pretty smooth as they benefitted from Obama's stimulus package, they are hilly, twisty and mostly untraveled....traffic is usually very light to nothing, kinda like our recent Texas trip.

We'll be staying at one of two places depending on how you all feel - The Wagon Wheel is an old fashioned (and in fact - old!) little classic place from the 1930's, the rooms are tiny but not terribly expensive. There is no wifi or pretty much any other amenities, but lots of "atmosphere"  ;D

The other place is the local Super 8, nothing to write home about but modern, includes breakfast - sorta - and wifi is claimed, all for about the same or less money. I leave the choice to the participants and I'll provide links to both places so you can see for yourself. This time of year the weather should be perfect, we're too early for leaf peeping, but that helps hold down the traffic too but we should be booking our rooms sooner than later.

http://www.hotelsone.com/cuba-hotels-us/super-8-cuba.html?as=b&aid=1554384913&dsti=202131&dstt=8&label=bing-ggehoeu-bh202131&akw=13303286730&akwu=motels%20in%20cuba,%20mo&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=motels%20in%20cuba,%20mo&utm_content=bh202131&utm_campaign=us-USA-Missouri-Hotels-oe-en

http://www.wagonwheel66cuba.com/

I know this is a compromise, but it's the best I can do...WillieB, if you'd like to come up a day early I and a few others might make it down early too. These are the only dates Don can make due to work and other commitments.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I can't say for sure yet.  The Texas show I usually attend is scheduled for the weekend before.  I know I won't have the Moke ready for either event.

I also don't know what my "work" situation will be until closer to the time.

I may consider volunteering at the Texas show for just one day and try for arrangements to tag along for the "Cuba" event.

MiniDave

Love to have you join us Michael......you can ride along in any of our cars if you like - or all of them!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I'm sure I can work it out for a few days at least.

MiniDave

Confirmed so far.....

MiniDave

Don Ipock

John Styers

WillieB

Don Ruder

Susan McKenzie

Possibles : Seth Weaver, Dan S, Dooder, Dean and Sharon Priep, John Perry, Mike Playle....

Shaping up to be a great group of Minis, hope to see you and yours there!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MPlayle on July 29, 2017, 04:55:01 PM
I can't say for sure yet.  The Texas show I usually attend is scheduled for the weekend before.  I know I won't have the Moke ready for either event.

I also don't know what my "work" situation will be until closer to the time.

I may consider volunteering at the Texas show for just one day and try for arrangements to tag along for the "Cuba" event.

What's the Texas show?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

I'll post it into a new thread.