15 years

Started by BruceK, June 10, 2017, 08:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Just realized today marks 15 years of owning my MINI.  Picked it up in Westchester NY on 10 June 2002 and drove it back to Texas.  Been to 23 states with it and last year it towed my Mini to San Diego and back for Mini Meet West.  I still really like it - gonna keep it indefinitely.  And with only 116K miles it should be around for a while. Hmmm- This is the longest I've ever kept any car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

way cool  77.gif

They are great cars had ours for 12 years now bought it nearly new, was a lease return. Wanted a new one but at the time you had to get on a waiting list for one. 

We will keep this car and I will restore it when it wears out. Thinking about a repaint and all new trim this coming winter as nearly 200k has taken its toll that and we used to drive it most of the winter before the countryman.

City dump's lots of volcanic cinders on the roads for traction in the winter they are hard on paint but, better than salt.

2004 mini CVT. never had any problems that are not normal maintenance.

MPlayle

I had my 2202 MCS for 7 years and 111K miles before it got totaled.  Had planned on keeping it much longer.  I have not held onto any car that long before, nor after.

MiniDave

I ordered my 2009 Clubman S with exactly what I wanted, I've had it now for 8 years and can't think of any reason to get rid of it.....ever.

I've had my old Jag now for 27 years......tempus fugit.

Bruce has one advantage in keeping his car long term, no winter salt to deal with, and a garage to keep it in. Mine is doing OK but I can see evidence of corrosion on the suspension parts, although so far the body looks good......and I know it will need paint at some time tho not for a number of years yet.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

In retrospect I'm lucky that my MINI was caught in a hailstorm last year which, after a series iof  bodyshop goof-ups and  negligence, resulted in a lot of the car being repainted.   Fourteen years of road rash and rock chips magically disappear from the hood.  I'm also lucky to be able to work from home a lot and to have a train available for the commute when I need to go into the office.  That means I only put about 5K miles on it a year now
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

I kick myself for selling my 2003 JCW.  It was an awesome car, I had a grass is greener moment and sold it to buy a 1980 Porsche 911, while the 911 was awesome, I honestly liked my Mini better and wished I had kept it.

So happy to have this 2005 JCW now, no plans to get rid of it anytime soon. plus MRS5543 loves it too so it stays. I feel like I fixed a mistake buying that JCW.

Cool beans having the same car 15 years, what I should have done.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson