Rolling the car on its side?

Started by jemo, September 11, 2009, 08:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemo

I took off my driver's door skin a few days ago and found not only the skin but the inner door to be completely rotted out.  I didn't think to look at that and just ordered a new skin so while I'm waiting for the inner door panel to arrive, I started poking around on other parts of the car.

YIKES!  Much worse that I thought in the trunk.  The area behind the rear bumper/boot hinge area is rotted very nicely as are some little spots on the trunk floor.  I've peeked under the car before and it looks good but I guess you'll never know until you take a good look.

I know there are plans to build rotisseries out there but I've noticed several people that just rolled their car over on the side.  If you've done this before without crunching the side of the car, could you please give detailed instructions on how to do it?  Right now the car is stripped down but still has the suspension/wheels/subframe attached to the car.

Thanks,
Jeff

94touring

Seems like it would be easier and safer to make the rotissier.  Snap some photos if you get a chance.   :)

snack

I have to agree with Dan on building a rotisserie.  I ended up building one from a design by John Rowland, AKA Scooperman, on the MM forum.  What I like about it, was that without scrounging anything, that is buying all material new, the total cost was just a tad over $200.00.  It rolls on nice big casters and can be broken down and stored pretty much flat against a wall saving space.  I kept a copy in PDF form of John's write up and pictures if anyone is interested.  Think about the money you spend on incidental stuff for the Mini, and the rotisserie just about becomes a must have if you are going to be doing major bodywork.

Steve

94touring

Hey email those files and I can put them in here somewhere as a link.