Import fees (penalty) for bearings?

Started by xcc_rider, September 06, 2009, 03:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcc_rider

Anyone know what the fees/tariffs/penalty's are for importing wheel bearings?

Just asking as I'm thinking about getting a full set of tapered bearings (2 fronts, 2 rears) for the Mini and can get them for 52UKP ($85+shipping) right now with the exchange rate where it is. Shipping will be 45UKP, but the total shipping costs will be shared with other items I'm ordering so figure 25UKP for just the bearings so it makes the total $126 for 4 wheels.

If the tariffs too high then it'll be a deal killer so I just want to know before I jump off the cliff.    dan

MPlayle

Supposedly if you can get the parts supplier to list them as "classic car parts" instead of "bearings", they will come through customs without the additional tariff for bearings and only be subject to the regular customs duty.

I have no experience with that process.  The last time I got wheel bearings for a Mini, they were included as part of a front disk brake conversion kit I ordered from GB Car Parts (http://www.gbcarparts.com/).  A quick check of that site shows 4 sets of tapered rears at $38.50 each set (USD) and 5 sets of tapered fronts at $58.99 each set (USD).

(1 set required for each wheel.)

xcc_rider

Yeah, Dave has some good prices!

The difference between the two is about $75 usd, which in itself isn't a really big deal, but if I combine the bearings with the other parts I need to order from MiniSport, the base shipping fee stays the same up to a certain weight. I did this with my last order and got $1050 in parts (including shipping) for $575. It would have cost me much less in shipping if I hadn't ordered some heavy items like the S calipers, and CV joints which bumped the shipping from 45ukp to 75ukp. 

Not a bad deal as long as the tariff isn't a killer.  Besides, it was like Christmas when the box came!    dan