Anyone see the American Pickers featuring a barn-find Mk. II Cooper S?

Started by BruceK, January 03, 2017, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

In a recent episode of the American Pickers TV show, an E-type Jag and a Mk. II Mini Cooper S are found in a barn.  (Specifically: Season 16, Episode 13 which originally aired on 12/26/2016)   

The Mini's original owner, a Vietnam vet, purchased the new Mini in Germany, drove it around Europe and had it modified in England back in the day before shipping it to the US.   The car was pretty rough, but the interesting feature (to me anyway) were the Mk. II external-hinged doors converted to rollup windows by some English coachbuilder.   They featured a fixed piece of glass in the rear 1/4th of the door, and the first 3/4ths of the window glass moved up and down.   The window crank was very low on the inside of the door and was positioned on kick panel on the front of the door pocket, so it would be a good stretch to reach it.    They don't seem to be Radford doors.  Perhaps Wood & Pickett?

Mike Wolff purchased the car for just $5K on the show (seemed like a great buy for a real Cooper S).  Wonder if it will show up in a later episode, or whether it will just be sold on as-is?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

I had 3 family members tell me they saw it on the episode right as it aired!
     Great timing for TV Watching right after Christmas.

Is anyone going to reach out and inquire the availability of buying it, ha -  i just sent an inquiry about it

I also read an article that the pickers team visited the owner well before - mike + van visited.   They were 'personable and knowledgeable" by the seller.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 04, 2017, 10:55:17 AM

What is that on the left fender.....sorry, wing?

Dunno.   Could be a jet-age style wing mirror, or perhaps could be a externally-mounted tachometer, like on some Pontiacs had sitting on their hoods back in the 60s (remember those?).

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Regarding those special wind-up window doors, I've searched the Interwebs for all the old photos of Radford and Wood & Pickett converted Minis from the 1960s I could find, but all of them have a different style of wind-up window door.  And the doors on this car are not the production wind-up window doors that Minis built in Oz had either. 

Anyone have a clue?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I still have the episode on my DVR, I just re-watched the Mini bit and I can see that the thing is definitely a wing mirror.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

stan360