2009 MINI Clubman S

Started by MiniDave, December 16, 2016, 05:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Today was the day to give my 09 Clubby a little attention.....the car has 67K on it now and it doesn't get driven a whole lot as long as I have a classic in the driveway! I did 45K the first 3 years I had it, and it's taken 5 more years to do the last 22K.

I ordered this car from Baron MINI right after the first of the year in 2009 and it was delivered to me Feb 22 - pretty speedy!

I didn't want a lot of equipment (options are expensive on MINIs!) so this car came with the cold weather package (heated seats, mirrors and such) the 6 speed automagic transmischigan, Zenon headlights and sport seats and roof rails - that was it. I also ordered it with the top painted to match as the only two options were silver and black and I didn't like either one. It came with 16" wheels with runflats which I quickly sold and put 17" S heavies on - cause I like the look, not for their performance enhancement - but the other side of being heavy is they are very strong, and with the potholes we have around here they need to be!

Since then I've just piled up the miles......

Today I was due for rear pads and rotors, as the pad wear light had come on......I'd already done the fronts at about 50K
so I knew it was time for rears.

I also changed the oil and filter, and screwed in a new set of firing pins, even tho the ones I took out looked brandy new.

I bought a new battery, not because this one was failing but - 8 years! Plus too and also it's going to be 0* this weekend, and I didn't want to have to jump it if it decided this was a good time to give up!

Just routine stuff, but the kind of stuff you have to do once in a while - I still need a new cabin filter, I noticed it was looking pretty dirty when I had the battery out, I also rotated the tires and freshened the air in them with a new charge of nitrogen.

This car has been as trouble free as it can be - all MINIs of this era had an issue with timing chains and while mine never did anything wrong or made any noise, they had a recall/warranty extension so I had mine done right at 50K, just in case - plus it was free! Since then all I've done are  tires, oil changes and the occasional brake pads. Take that Honda!   ;D

I think I'll just keep it.......

The pic was the day in Feb that it came in on the truck, I saw it 10 min after it was offloaded and checked it over for damage - there was none. That's the lovely and talented Mrs. MiniDave looking it over - it was freakin cold that day too!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Nice to get that done I bet, I hate deferred maintenance hanging over my head and there is plenty of it.
Our 2004 base cooper has been the most reliable car we ever owned by far Just took it to the dealer in portland for a free brushless electric ps pump upgrade even though the old was still fine. Looked at the new clubman I really like it very nice looking car inside and out and still not a big  car despite the online hatred of its size on mini forums.

nearing 190k miles and 1 set of brakes front due again now, 1 set of plugs, 1 new alternator, 1 belt, 3 or 4 sets of tires, 1 battery, Drivers window motor needed some maintenance at 180k and 12 years old, and regular oil, transmission fluid, and coolant changes as needed. All normal maintenance items as far as I'm concerned. Oh almost forget nailed a curb avoiding a trailer towing fucktard on his phone that changed to the lane while I was in it and the drivers front hub bearing started growling a month later and needed replacement, a 15-minute job easy cars to work as well I must say.

I have decided to restore this car when it needs it I may rebuild the CVT at 200k for good measure and maybe repaint the car due to many rock chips from the volcanic cinders applied to winter roads here. I am amazed at the interior upholstery quality it's almost like new still very little wear at all. Yet my friends wife's 5 year newer honda that he is super anal about caring for is on its second set of seats due to wear the first set was under warranty, I won't even get started on all the mechanical problems it's had in half the miles. So yea, as you said take that honda! LOL.

BruceK

Dave, nice to see you car's 'baby photo', before it got the silver on the A-panels.  Sounds like one to hold on to for a long(er) time. 

I know some enthusiasts of the classic Mini aren't really fans of the modern MINI - that's too bad.  I love my '02 - had it more than 14 years now and I plan to keep it for many more years.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

Mrs. Minidave is a ginger?  You dog you...

Cool story on the car, I think the BMW Minis get a bad wrap and not sure why, I think they are pretty solid cars.

This 2005 JCW I just grabbed with what... 70K miles now has over 80K, the 11 year old battery finally died because my 13 y/o left the glove box open on the day we were leaving for a week vacation. We came back to a dead battery unable to resurrect.

I did the typical crap I do to a used car when I buy, tune up, oil change, and in this case because I know better, a new super charger belt, idler pulley and tensioner and pulley as well for good measure.

It now has 82K miles (we knew we were going to rack up some miles on her in short time) and not a single problem. I do not expect any either. I will do some more preventative stuff as I feel the need arises.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Yep, she's a redhead, in every sense and stereotype of the word!

I've know her since 1974, when we me at the Porsche+Audi dealer when she brought her car in for service, took me 20 more years to get her to marry me!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on December 19, 2016, 08:14:38 PM
Yep, she's a redhead, in every sense and stereotype of the word!

I've know her since 1974, when we me at the Porsche+Audi dealer when she brought her car in for service, took me 20 more years to get her to marry me!

;D

You are my hero (this week) typically it is Dan, he is every mans hero. Trust me.

You distracted me for a moment.  Gingers can be a handful you are a special man.

I need to tell a ginger story one day with pics.   Being happily married this story is... well... interesting... and the story spans about 20 years.  I have a huge... amount of commitment/loyalty and self control.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

Gingers, gotta love 'em, or else...

Hyacinth maintains her ginger-ness, otherwise would be as grey as I am.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Rose uses some sort of henna thing on hers, but given her age I guess it's to be expected.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Back in the day when Hyacinth colored her own hair, I used to get some really nice nalgene bottles that the hair dye came in, complete with a dispenser tip and small screw-on cap.  After a hot-water rinse, the bottles were ready for fluids, namely carb suction chamber oils.  So, I now have bottles with 5W, 10W, 15W and 20W synthetic motorcycle fork oils which are convenient when testing on the road.  Combined with a veterinary syringe that I've set a 6" length of small-diameter plastic tubing onto the tip, it makes changing piston oils a breeze.  Suck out the current oil, drop in something new or different and note it on a bit o'tape on the air cleaner housing.

What would I do without Hyacinth...   71.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on December 18, 2016, 10:49:50 AM
Dave, nice to see you car's 'baby photo', before it got the silver on the A-panels.  Sounds like one to hold on to for a long(er) time. 

I know some enthusiasts of the classic Mini aren't really fans of the modern MINI - that's too bad.  I love my '02 - had it more than 14 years now and I plan to keep it for many more years.

The reason I put the silver panels on was both to be "different" and because the side marker light on the right side popped out one day on the highway, and hanging by the wire proceeded to ding and scratch that panel before I could get pulled over - rather than try and match paint on a brandy new car, I did the panels in silver.

Since its paid for I can't think of any reason to get rid of it, even if it had a problem of some kind - it's far cheaper to just fix it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The only issue I had with the 2008 Clubman-S I had was the high pressure fuel pump and that was handled as warranty.

MiniDave

Facepalm!  :-[

I've had one ongoing issue that I frankly have just ignored.....the back story -

All direct injected engines have a propensity to carbon up the intake valves and ports over time, on a MINI it seems to take about 50K and even tho my car had no symptom as I was around that mileage I decided to do a little preventative maintenance and clean mine. The procedure is pretty simple, pull the intake manifold and walnut blast the crap out of them. I built a pressure pot with a special wand and retrieval system so I could vacuum out the shell bits and carbon debris as I blasted them - worked a treat - they looked like new when I was done.

Feeling fairly chuffed with myself (saved the $800 the dealer was charging at the time too!) I headed home and within a few miles I got a check engine light and reduced power symbol. The car still felt fine, ran fine and so on, so I cleared the code and went on. I found over time that it took warm weather and a sustained power pull to set the code - like getting up to speed on a highway ramp or going up a long hill. It also was ambient temp dependent - on a cold day I just about could not get it to do it - on a warm day it did it easily.   

So I scratched my head, talked to a few friends in the bidness over time and finally decided to see if I could fix it - about 2 years have gone by now!

Today I was going to pull the diverter valve and see if it was bad as a few people said they had fixed similar symptoms that way.....I wasn't convinced that was it as it was too coincidental that it did it right after I worked on it, but I could never find anything wrong, unhooked connections or whatever. So, getting ready to remove the intake pipe to get to the diverter valve and the first clamp I touch is completely loose!

Major Facepalm!   :-[

I tightened it up, cleared the code and it seems fine. I'll know tomorrow when I drive it to school and hit the highway......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, no joy in mudville......I still get the code. I pulled the air cleaner and took the diverter valve out - it all looks fine. I just can't find anything wrong, so Monday it goes to the dealer and we'll see what they say.

I did find one interesting thing tho......I've only done 22K miles since 2012!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

What code is it throwing? Happening right after the cleaning I would suspect a small boost leak, but It could just be a coincidence.

MiniDave

That's what I thought too, and when I saw that loose clamp I thought I had it, but OTOH I knew that was on the intake side, not the pressure side so I wasn't real confident that was it. I don't remember the number (my little cheap code reader doesn't pull this code, I had a friend with one of those $5K readers pull it) but the description was "boost pressure is implausible"

I take that to mean that the computer is expecting to see a certain pressure under certain conditions and it isn't, so it cuts the map. Which sounds like a leak.....but I'm damned if I can find anything wrong. I changed the plugs a few weeks ago and they looked perfect - they weren't even worn looking with 65K on them, and the color was perfect and even on all four plugs.

The weird part is that it's ambient temp dependent......if it's cold enough out I can run the piss out of it and it's fine, above 50* outside it takes very little effort to set the code. When it sets the code and the light comes on (the yellow engine symbol that means reduced HP) it still runs smoothly, gets the same fuel mileage and so on, but the engine feels "soft", it just doesn't have the crispness it usually does and of course there's less power - it has to downshift for hills it normally wouldn't.

So with our trip coming up it's going to the dealer to see what they say....I'm expecting them to say it needs a new turbo, in which case I'll pick it up again and do it later, as it still runs fine as is and I'll take our Audi to Texas and leave the MINI for the bride to drive. Apparently these turbos have a built in waste gate, and the holes that the shaft pivots on aren't bushed, so they wear, causing the gate to hang up - if that's what's happened here you and I may be talking further about machining the housing for some bushes or something.

There is no play in the turbine bearings and its not leaking or burning oil, so I don't think there's an issue with the turbo itself....we'll see what they say on Monday.

There have been some bad diverter valves show up, but the problem with them tends to be with the diaphragm, mine looks like new but there could be an issue with it electrically, I suppose. In my experience either they work or they don't, mine seems to work.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Are their any vacuum lines or map sensors that could be a problem?

MiniDave

Not really, there is a vacuum pump that provides vacuum for the brake booster, but that's it......and a vacuum hose to run the waste gate that seems OK.

Like I said, I've been all over this thing and can't find anything amiss........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

That code message sounds more to me that the sensor is reading an over-pressure condition rather than a leak (under- pressure).

Could the waste-gate be sticking shut and letting the system build too much pressure?  Or the connector for the sensor be loose or need cleaning?

MiniDave

At this point.....who knows? The tech working on it tomorrow is also an instructor with me at the college, I think I'm in good hands.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

That code with your description of the problem being ambient temp related. I would highly suspect the boost sensor as it is also the temp sensor they are combined into one sensor. And they do fail I have changed a few in our shop.

Here is an article on pelican parts about changing/testing the sensor.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI_R56/87-FUEL-Turbocharged_Engine_Pressure_Sensor_Replacement/87-FUEL-Turbocharged_Engine_Pressure_Sensor_Replacement.htm

MiniDave

Fixed!

And my fault, just as expected......

There's a vacuum canister and control valve mounted under the intake, and one of the vacuum lines was off - I'm sure it happened when I had the intake off to do the walnut blasting.....

My Clubby is feeling SO much better this morning! I had forgotten how responsive it is. The good news is that in looking for the problem I confirmed that everything else with it is in really good shape.

Now it's ready to haul the RG to Texas.....new tires, new brakes, fresh oil, filters and plugs, and it even has fresh nitrogen in the tires!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Gotta love those vacuum lines! 8.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

4.gif nice to hear it was simple fix.

MiniDave

I came *this* close to pulling the intake off the weekend before I took it to the dealer, and I'm sure I would have found it, but I just ran out of time with all the other things I'm trying to get done before the Texas trip. It's been a revelation how well it runs now, it's been a couple of years that I've been driving it with what amounts to no boost.

When I said that it ran fine in cold weather, I was mistaken - it ran better, and didn't set the code, but nothing like it does now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You've been driving it for years with no boost!?  :-\