Not mine, but nearby

Started by MPlayle, August 13, 2009, 06:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

This just showed up on Mini Mania's classifieds.  It is not mine and I don't know the owner, but I am willing to check it out if anyone is interested.  It is only about 30 miles from me.

Cheers,
M. Playle

http://www.minimania.com/web/id/8668/Cars4Sale_Detail.cfm

94touring

Perfectly in my budget, but I gotta get rid of 3 minis before I can dare spend more money.  Actually I'm broke after buying the last 3, lol.   

MPlayle

I would be seriously considering it for myself if I was working.  But then, I have also been "drooling" over your red/black 998.   ;)

I can still check it out if you would like.  Not much information is in the posted ad.  I would take along my digital camera and get many pictures of the overall condition and any desired critical areas.  Along with pictures I would also provide a descriptive "write-up" of the condition and equipment.

It is close enough and I still have plenty of spare time.

94touring

I wouldn't waste your time looking for me.  Just no way I can afford anything else for awhile.  If I had a miracle and sold all 3 this month it would be a different story.  I'm having a hard enough time getting rid of the red/black mini. 

Minicop

:o Damn! 94, you still have that one!?!?

BATMAN!!!!!!!!! Get your ass in gear!!!!!!! Sell that farm equipment and buy the Mini!! Haha! :D

batman1usa

:-[  I know, I am still here gazing at the pictures every moment just knowing KNOWING this is my car to be.  And after Minis in the Mountains last week the few minis represented just turned up the fire.  There has to be a simple solution to this somewhere.  Maybe if I didn't already have a house loan, a Mini loan, and one daughter starting OU in a few days to become a pharmacist  :o that would help.
  I would sure like to see the amount of classics increase at MITM V   8)
  I know the group that puts it on is kinda Mini oriented as they all have one or two but hey the mini guys/gals are most assuradly welcome to join.

Well I should have room in the garage after saturday to keep the red car if you need to store it.  Hey I would even drive it to keep it limbered up.  ;D

Minicop

Do you have a Bini? Daughter starting OU? What's that? College I take it? Another parent who pays for their kid to go to school. My folks didn't pay for my college. I had to find my own way to pay it. After one term couldn't afford it anymore. So that's why I joined the Navy. Now I'm 3.5 months from getting out!! I have the 'revised' Post 9/11 bill, to pay for school now. 100% tuition paid at any school, plus a monthly paycheck and $1,000 a year for books. 4 long years of putting up with the abuse and crap. Single handedly the hardest time of my life. Having no control over the path of your life is quite scary. Don't EVER come in to the armed forces as lower enlisted!! Go officer. Unless you like being treated like a run-away slave. I've learned a lot, and got to see the world, but it was hard. How I long to see my own country again... someday.   

MPlayle

I am considering checking it out just to keep abreast of possibilities.  If so, I'll make a "write-up" available to anyone interested or even just curious.

MPlayle

I decided to go ahead and try to look at this one and gather data for an "evaluation".  I sent the owner an email seeing about arranging to look over the car.  I'll keep folks posted for the curious.   ;D

Cheers.

batman1usa

MPlayle

I will be inspecting it tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.  I should be able to provide a "report" by Sunday.

MPlayle

I checked the 1963 Black Woody out this afternoon.  I took about 107 pictures in the process.  Overall, the car has good promise as a foundation for a full restoration.  I will be putting together a full inspection report as a MS-Word document.  I will be including many if not most or all of the pictures in that document.  As a result, it will be too large to put effectively into a post on this thread.  I will happily send a copy of the report to any and all interested parties.  If you want a copy of the report, please send me an email direct so I will have an address to reply with the document attached.  Please be aware, it will be a large document.

Cheers,
M. Playle

(mplayle -at- att -dot- net)

94touring

How large of a document?  Cause you can probably just attach it to the forum. 

MPlayle

I just finished putting together the document.  I did not try to resize the photos as I added them to the document in order to preserve as much detail as possible.  As a result of that and the number of photos in the document it is almost 220MB in size!   :o  (I did not put all 107 photos in it, but most did go in.)

I can email it to folks that really want it if they tell me it will be okay with their email.  I would be glad to post it as an attachment to the forum with a little guidance.   ???

94touring

Wow thats big, especially for email.   What you may want to do is upload all the pictures to the gallery and have a link to that.  Depending on the size of the photos you may have to resize them, but in the one gallery thread I have a link to a program that will do that quick and easy for you.     

94touring

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=34.0

The link to the photo program is in there.  You can mass select.  Then just mass upload to our gallery after you create your album. 

MPlayle

94touring,

I may end up doing that.  I am first going to try resizing in the document to see if I can get its total size down to something semi-reasonable.

MPlayle

Okay,

I  figured out how to rescale the resolution of the photos and a better way to insert them into a MS-Word document.  I got the report down from the original 220MB to a reasonable 6.2MB with extra pictures added.  There are about 70 pictures in the report.

If anyone wants a copy, I am now willing to send it by straight email.  Drop me an email direct is the best way for me to know to send you a copy.  I will also check here periodically to see if someone wants a copy.

Cheers,
M. Playle

MPlayle

If anyone on here requested and received the report from me, let me know if you got it and can open the document.  I sent the car's owner a copy and they are getting an error when trying to open the document.  I have sent it to them twice and they still get an error indicating "File in Use by another program or corrupted".  I can open the original and the attachments on the emails I have sent.  All I know about their computer is it is running Vista.

Thanks,
M. Playle

MPlayle

The owner contacted me and says he needs to sell the car quickly.  I discussed several aspects of the Mini market and its expectations ("rolling restoration" versus "project car").  He asked for a recommended price reduction to put the car at.  He should be updating his ad later today.

Cheers,
M. Playle

:)