Website header photo too large?

Started by MPlayle, August 11, 2009, 12:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I like the new photo in the header of each page of the site; however, it is rather large.  It pushes the page content down a full screen height on my laptop.  Any way it could be resized down some?

Takes up a whole page for me too. But I dunno, I kind of like it. It's purrttty, but you're right it is rather large. :P

batman1usa

Some guys don't know how to resize their photo's.   :-\

94touring

You're talking about on the homepage?  Could you snap a print screen photo for me to see, cause I dont' have that problem on my desktop or laptop. 

Homepage looks great to me. It's just in the forums that it is GINORMOUS! Here's what it looks like on my MacBook, screen cap is from the top of this thread.

94touring

OH, so its just that I added a picture that was too big?

I guess so.....I dunno.

Like I said, I kinda like it. It is big but it's not like it's a huge hassle or anything.

94touring

Well the header looks like this:  I'm not sure why my blue sportpack is showing up on yours????

94touring

Oh hold up, I think I know what happened.....fixing it now.  Still wierd how mine still looks normal. 

Hmmmm.. that is strange. I think that everything within the forums looks like that for me. The homepage looks fine though. Are you on a PC or a Mac? I wonder if that has something to do with it.. I noticed the huge picture maybe Thursday or Friday of last week. Did you do any updates recently?

MPlayle! Does yours look like mine???

94touring

I figured it out and glad you said something.  Once I deleted my cookies I showed the same HUGE random picture.  What happened was the logo picture was stored in the test forum gallery, which I backed up the other day testing things out with this forums backup file.  It overwrote the pictures as a result and stuck that big picture in your screen.  All good now. 

Yep, you got it, everything's back to normal in the matrix.

MPlayle

Yes, that is what I was seeing.

94touring,

Everything is back to normal now.  Quick response, much more so than on MM.  Thanks.
I liked the picture content, just the size was a bit surprising.  As a thought, maybe add a random picture (in scaled size  ;) ) to the header between the logo on the left and the title on the right?  Examples of your great work or the finished projects posted by others?

Cheers,
M. Playle

94touring

I wish I could put more pictures up there, and I suppose I could make a banner out of a really long clickable logo to make that happen.  The forum software designates a spot in the upper left hand corner of the banner as the logo, and the spot on the far right side as well.  I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to edit the code to allow for pictures in the center area.

Thanks for the quick response compliment, but this has been screwed up for 3 days!  Lol, oh well.  Hopefully didn't throw too many people off that might have browsed the site.  I'm just glad you guys said something since I didn't see the same thing till I cleared my cookies.   

94touring

On a side note, there is one glitch with the forum that I haven't been able to figure out yet.  I know you guys have experienced this at some when you log in it says invalid password.  But 2nd time you enter the password it lets you in.  I haven't a clue why.   

94touring

I just tried a couple things with the top of the page.  I'm open to suggestions.   

gasmini

Quote from: 94touring on August 11, 2009, 06:53:40 PM
On a side note, there is one glitch with the forum that I haven't been able to figure out yet.  I know you guys have experienced this at some when you log in it says invalid password.  But 2nd time you enter the password it lets you in.  I haven't a clue why.   
I noticed that sometimes when I logout I have to do it two times in order to get all the way out. Maybe this is just when I beat one of your arcade scores. :)

MPlayle

Compared to MM, your response to fixing the issue was fast.  For MM (and now MiniOwners) being professionally managed and maintained/developed by Dennis Racine, they have LOTS of issues from poor development practices and are slow to respond/fix major issues.

Under the "User Profiles" thread over on MM, Dennis purports that the MM site/forum and the MiniOwners site/forum are supposed to be separate entities.  Such BS.  If they were truly separate, they would have separate profiles and changes on one would not effect the other.  We've seen how well that is working: profile settings in the new site are governing profile views in the other - eliminating data fields, restricting viewed information, etc.

I've been around that site since it started.  The constant changes just for the sake of technology have often become annoying.  Some changes have indeed been for the better, but many have made folks ask "Why?".  So far, the only changes I have seen happen on this forum have been minor and to fix new forum teething issues.  Having something stable is a nice change of pace.  Makes getting used to things over here easier to understand.

Cheers.

94touring

I was surprised to read that they won't ban people for advertising on miniowners.com, since its all linked to MM.  Even has the MM threads on miniowners.   

MPlayle

Yeah, I was surprised as well.  In one of the other threads on MM about their new "sister site" there is mention of the mirroring of the forum threads.  Way to linked and parallel for the "separate entities" they claim the site to be.

Quote from: 94touring on August 11, 2009, 06:53:40 PM

Yeah! What's the deal with that? It just did that to me when I logged in.

As far as the whole miniowners.com situation.....I made a profile on there and now I regret it. I logged into it a few times, but I don't think people are ever really going to use it. People will just use the MM message board or email like they always have. Seems like it is just complicating things, but then again it's still in "Beta". So maybe it will get better! :-\

MPlayle

Dennis Racine CLAIMS that the MiniOwner.com site is in "beta".  He is doing way to much new feature development and debugging at users' expense for that to be truly "beta".  He is using a 'captive' user group to do his basic development testing for him.  Very amateurish development practices.  (I have over 20 years total in different aspects of the computer industry.  None of the serious shops I have been at would stand for those practices - too much reputation rides on code releases.)  I hope the Racine Web Development business does not follow those methods with their paying customers.

94touring

Well I'm an amatuer, so anything I do has got to be simple lol.  I am afterall using simple machines forum software  ;D

MPlayle

I hold different expectations according to the source.  From the beginning, your represented this as a enthusiast site set up by an amateur for other Mini enthusiasts.  As such, certain teething pains are to be expected, though your approach has kept those to a minimum.  You have kept to a safer (and more professional) methodology to bringing up the site and making additions and changes. 

Dennis Racine posts a professional service in his signature as a professional website designer.  This tends to indicate he does this as a business with Mini Mania as a "family client".  I would expect to hold his efforts to a much higher standard, even the "personal projects" as they would be representative of the quality of work he provides to paying clients.

I guess I really should stop bashing them now.   :-\

94touring

Well thanks.  When I had operationmini I had phbp forum software, which was kinda crappy really.  This time around I was able to use simple machines forum which is surprisingly awsome for being free with my godaddy account.  I also used Vbulletin for my rotary forum when I had that, which you had to pay for, and it is very comparable to this layout and options available from my admin panel.