Missing posts on MM

Started by MPlayle, August 08, 2009, 01:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Since there is a rash of blank posts happening on Mini Mania's forum, I thought I would come here to propose a diagnostic experiment.

94touring, your post to my "fubar'd" thread on MM is blank.  Are you using the "Styled" editor over there?  If so, try switching to the "Text" editor and see if you can post a visible response on that thread.

They seem to be getting VERY crappy about testing their changes before going "live" and are apparently doing absolutely no regression or compatibility testing.  Lazy programming on their part which costs them more in fixing problems afterwards.  Then again, they are also known for not caring about supporting anything other than the latest Microsoft stuff.

94touring

This is why I have a whole other test forum you guys don't even know about!  Plus I backup the forum occasionally just incase something gets screwed up. 

94touring

And I'm having no luck posting.  Almost got the word test posted, but it only says te. 

Their forum really does suck.  I guess I should be too surprised we've had several new people sign up this week. 

MPlayle

Your practices are the simplest form of "good development" methods and most often yield great results that will save you and your forum members lots of headaches.

A good example of what you are NOT supposed to do is how MM is doing their "beta" of their new social networking site.  They are implementing MAJOR changes while getting their users to actually perform their "alpha/unit" testing.  On top of it they are linking their new forum to their existing forum in ways that just scream "problems".

MPlayle

I can see your last post: "testies, 1,2 ..." over there.  Was it posted using the "Text" editor?

That way we can at least report it to folks over there so they can change their settings and discussions can keep flowing somewhat (until MM manages to screw it up enough every leaves for somewhere else like here).

;)

94touring

Only severe headache I had with this forum was during those first few weeks trying to setup a good gallery.  And I'm blaming half of it on Batman and his extra large pictures, lol.  The gallery we use now thats imbedded within the forum is so much easier to deal with.    

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on August 08, 2009, 01:21:46 PM
I can see your last post: "testies, 1,2 ..." over there.  Was it posted using the "Text" editor?

That way we can at least report it to folks over there so they can change their settings and discussions can keep flowing somewhat (until MM manages to screw it up enough every leaves for somewhere else like here).

;)

Yes that was with the text editor.  Took me a few to find it.  Still not sure why "te" only showed in the one attempt I made. 

MPlayle

Thanks.

I posted an update over there.  QS also tried some different OS/browser combinations and posted his results.  It appears the Windows/IE combo is where the break is now happening.  Over the last 4 years, I have tried to bring up to them several of their compatibility issues - all to no avail.  Their initial claim was it was too hard to support the Mac OS-X and was not worth their effort.  Now they seem to ignore any complaints from Mac users.  I am surprised they haven't banned or knocked some of us off for continuing to point out their sloppy website changes.

Quote from: 94touring on August 08, 2009, 01:15:23 PM

Their forum really does suck.  I guess I should be too surprised we've had several new people sign up this week. 

YYAAAYYYY!!!!  ;D I'm glad to see this site is gaining a little bit of popularity.

94touring

http://restorationmini.com/testforum  

Its a mirror image after restoring it to the backup of the day!  

MPlayle

That's the way to do it.  Simple and works great.   :)

94touring

Yeah its great cause it even backs up the gallery and arcade, which are forum add on's.   

joltfreak

i was trying to post there with no luck.
finally got a new thread started with pics (used text only) ;)
check out the official website for updates!!!!!