Choosing a Classic Mini

Started by Mind The Gap, August 01, 2009, 10:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mind The Gap

Hi All, I'm new to this board and would appreciate some advice. I own a 2002 MCS but have always wanted a classic Mini as well. I would appreciate some advice as to what is a desirable model, year, and what to look for or look out for.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

batman1usa

;D  Oh you came to the best source around.  Take a look at my Gallery and see what too looKOUT for.  Take another look at 94's gallery and you'll find the mini/mini's that you might want to buy. 
  I'm new to all this mini stuff as well but as the bunch around here will tell you I JUMPED in.  I am on my 2nd MINI and probably like you that's how it all began.... dang ITALIAN JOB movies....  ;D
  I think as all will say that ALL mini's (99.9%) have rust some like mine much worse than others.  I don't think anyone will lead you astray so check back often and play in the Arcade.  If you beat high score on pacman Dan will give you a mini.   ;D

94touring

Well first let me say welcome to the board! 

There are a number of things to consider when looking for a mini.  If you go with an early model, mk1-mk2, years 59-68, you will have a mini with external hinged doors and sliding windows as the main difference.  There are other items like wet suspension, but we won't dive into that.  The doors and windows being the main concern for many people for the early makes.  The hinges are known to be problematic with sagging and wearing out.  The windows are best known for poor venitalation and the inability to hang your arm out the window.  Look cool to me, but after owning a couple, really do not like them personally.  However my 68 pickup is in that category, but I can live with it in that case.  The later models all having normal door hinges and rolling windows.  Next area to consider is engine size.  Personally I will not buy a mini with an 850cc engine.  Too slow and boring for me.  998cc engine's are good enough to get around town and cruise on the highway and keep up with other traffic.  The 1275 being the most desired, having the most power and top speed.  Probably the most important on my list when buying a mini, aside from mechanically working, is the body.  As batman stated, they rust.  Some are rusted more than others.  When buying a mini inspect it very good by looking under the body, lifting up carpet, looking around headlights, lower areas of the body, and anywhere else you can look for rust and or major rot.  A little bit of rust can be acceptable depending on price of the car, but full out rot that involves a major restoration may be out of your league, and a total waste of money, time, and pleasure owning.  Another quick factor to consider is not all minis are the actual year they are titled.  There are "later models" running around on revinned titles.  Basically it boils down to the cars having to be 25 years old to legally import into the country, so people swap vins and get them over here.  You'll notice the later models by a number of small items, but more noticable would be fuel injection 1275's, air bags, the interiors tend to be nicer with different style seats and dashes, ect...  I've owned a later model and loved the thing.  Some people shy away from those though.  If you live in California there are some wierd laws out there that force you into owning a mini before (1970??) I think.  Luckily I don't live there!  What price you can expect to buy a mini for depends condition obviously.  You'll see rougher cars that would be in my "project" category going anywhere from $2500 to $5500.  Some of the $5500 cars not being in bad shape at all, just a little rough around the edges, and some of the $2500 being complete junk and not worth my time or resources.  At the same time you'll see really nice done up cars, be it show queens, all original S's, later models with all the perks, listed as high as 20k, and sometimes higher than that.  A budget somewhere between 7k and 10k should get you a VERY nice car right now with either a 998 or 1275, mechanically sound, good interior, and good body/paint.  I might also point out I have a few for sale in the 8k range that are done up nicely  ;)             

Mind The Gap

Thanks very much! That was a great introduction. I wouldn't be into a big restoration, but might enjoy doing some fix-up.  Where do you find parts?

batman1usa

That might be a nice addition to the site.  A page for links to restorationmini approved parts places?   ???

94touring

Quote from: Mind The Gap on August 03, 2009, 05:27:58 AM
Thanks very much! That was a great introduction. I wouldn't be into a big restoration, but might enjoy doing some fix-up.  Where do you find parts?

Hey there, just got back from my trip and I also sent you a reply to the private message you sent.  I usually buy parts from either 7ent.com or minisport.com in the UK.  Britishcarparts.com is another that many guys enjoy using.  Minimania is typically overpriced, but sometimes have good deals.  They also have anything and everything if you need hard to find parts.