Racing Green 89 Mini

Started by MiniDave, August 19, 2016, 01:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

1990 Cooper 1275, 57K miles, LHD, 13" wheels and clean as a pin! I pick it up on Sunday.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LilDrunkenSmurf

I'm so ridiculously jealous right now.

94touring

MiniDave

I did OK, there are a few small rust issues that will need addressing, but overall it's a solid car.

LDS, that's right, it's very similar to your car! Not Japanese spec tho......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: MiniDave on August 19, 2016, 01:50:03 PM
I did OK, there are a few small rust issues that will need addressing, but overall it's a solid car.

LDS, that's right, it's very similar to your car! Not Japanese spec tho......

Not Japanese spec is what I wanted. LHD, BRG, 1275cc, 13" wheels, big flares. Bang on with what I want.

What did you pay for it?

MiniDave

I don't want to say, but it was a good deal.......I'd swap someone a KM speedo for a Miles one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Your other mini might have a miles one...and Vikram might have one out of his spi engine too.  I will confirm this week, unless he reads this and peaks at them.

MiniDave

The one out of the other Mini could work, I'll most probably be using an electronic or GPS speedo in that one. However, they may be different, I've read that the injected cars had a different cluster - could just be the warning lights tho - although they had taller diff ratios too - that could be the difference.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Agh ... you beat  me to it Dave ...that was a good deal. I thought I was going to drive that home this weekend

Jims5543

I am just trying to figure out how he drove it onto those ramps.

Great find supper jelly....
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: stan360 on August 19, 2016, 04:02:13 PM
Agh ... you beat  me to it Dave ...that was a good deal. I thought I was going to drive that home this weekend

Off topic, but nice David Bowie pic.

Vikram

I have a mph cluster that you can have. Not sure if it's any good for you

MiniDave

Oh, I like the white dials, and the miles are close! Thanks!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'm jealous.  I had to give up the Tahiti Blue Mini due to family health situations that became the passing away of my father last weekend.  A whole lot of things may be in transition over the next few months.

I keep "lusting" for another classic Mini (or maybe even another Moke).  Some day ... sigh.

:(

MiniDave

Sorry for your loss Mike........

Things will change, that much we know - and that you'll have another.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Dave in all seriousness, great find and great get and great deal.

I love the color and the look of that car, it looks like a great car.

Best of luck with it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MPlayle

Dave,

Thank you.

As Jim says, great find on that car and best wishes for enjoying it.

MiniDave

Danko.....I'm anxious to pick it up....I could have gotten it tomorrow, but my buddy is going to drive me up on Sunday so the guy can check out his Vtec P'up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Dave,
If you're interested in the gauge, I can either mail it to you on Monday, or leave it at the shop if you plan on dropping by in the future. I have no use for it.

MiniDave

Just leave it with Dan, and thanks!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Quote from: 94touring on August 19, 2016, 04:32:50 PM
Off topic, but nice David Bowie pic.

ha , yeah.....Ziggy Stardust man !

jeff10049

MiniDave

OK, so I drove the Racing Mini home today from Lawrence via Baldwin City and a bunch of back roads - way more fun than the boring interstate! The car ran great with no issues - it ran a little warmer than I wanted but if I slowed down it dropped back to normal again - I think my Aluminum radiator will probably cure that. I do wish it had taller gears, or a 5 speed!

But I've decided to just have fun with it for now and leave it be.

The one thing I'm considering is a set of coilovers to help the ride a bit.

Other than that it's pretty much good to go. The Play Mini exhaust really barks and pops on decell - fun stuff!

Vikram, if you could send the gauges after all I'd appreciate it - it's a PITA trying to do math while driving (converting Kms to miles) also, those dark green instrument faces are difficult to read, I think the white ones will be much better. Thanks again and good luck at school this fall!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

How'd I know the aluminum rad was going in! 

Vikram

Well I'm off to mail a set of vents tomorrow anyway, so I'll send the gauge too. Could you pm me an address?
Nice mini btw. What's the bore of the playmini exhaust?