radiator catch can ideas

Started by Hayman9644, July 17, 2009, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayman9644

I have changed my radiator over to a closed system and now I need some unique ideas for a catch can.  Anyone have any?

Willie_B

94touring

Haha, thats funny.  What about that beer can idea?

Hayman9644

Whats the black tube thing in the middle of the looped hose?  Does it have to be cleaned before you use it on the car?  Shouldnt it be lubed before use?       

When I said unique I didnt really mean that UNIQUE. 

Willie_B

If you have changed over to a closed system then just a plain catch can will not work. The system has to be able purge fluid when hot and then suck it back in when it cools. Usually need a tank with bottom hose hookup and a top cap to add fluid. If soild metal then you will need some kind of way to monitor fluid level like an external sight tube. Some ideas on Summit Racing site. If some of the newer water cooled motorcycles use tanks you can look a bike junkyard for one that may fit easier.

Hayman9644

Thanks Willie.  Thats why I was asking for ideas.  I dont want to use the usual factory type catch can.  The reason I switched over to the closed system for those benefits.

Hayman9644

I was watching a show today and one of the guys used a marvel mystery oil can so I might do that.  I can have one of the guys at work weld a tube in it that goes to the bottom of the can and then another one to vent it and then use the lid to top it off. 

Hayman9644

I havent been able to locate a METAL Marvel Mystery Oil can.  So I guess its on to something else.  Does anyone have a quart size can that you would be willing to part with?  I went to the liquor store the other day and everything in there was really thin.  If nothing else I can get a can made and maybe reproduce a lable and put it on there. 

MPlayle

How about modifying one of the metal water containers from places like REI used for hiking?  I have seen that done before.  They are thick walled and sturdy.  Some have wide mouthed lids that would have enough room to add the necessary tubes for fill and overflow.