Sprite Ribcase Gearbox Overhaul

Started by MiniDave, July 19, 2016, 02:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Just buttoned Clancy's gear box up - just in time - he has the temp motor in the car and had it on the dyno today getting it ready to rent out to a guy for a driving school (hence the lower HP motor) and I think he would like to have this box in the car for the guy, and to get some race miles on it.

First pic shows the new cover with the front seal vs the old reverse screw style cover.

Last two pics - Clancy on the Dyno - said it made about 76 at the rear wheels.....again, plenty for a driver's school.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

This is the first of the two latest gearboxes I built recently using straight cut gears, it's in a Lotus 7 and the owner came by to take me for a quick spin around the block as I wanted to hear how loud the gears were. It has a well built 1275 and it is very quick....of course it weighs all of 900lbs empty, more like 1300 with the two of us in it! He says it shifts well and he likes the taller gear ratios as with a stock box 1st was almost a throwaway gear.

Ran strong and of course - corners as if on rails.....too bad we didn't have a dash cam on to record that!

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad