Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Have a mini tenant due to arrive in June to fix up his car.  The car arrived yesterday.

MiniDave

What's his plan for the car? Full resto? cosmetic only? Power upgrades?

What are the details on the car?

when is he starting on it?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Interesting wheels. Can you post a straight on photo?

94touring

I'll get a shot of the wheels tomorrow for you.

He's pretty much going full refurb and paint job.  Engine transplant from a 1098 to 1275. 

94touring

Willie_B

Cosmic's. They look great refinished.

94touring

MPlayle

Looks like you've already turned Justin into a "shop assistant"!

94touring

He's the guy with the truck!

Vikram

Hi there,
As you may have guessed, I'm the guy living in Dan's shop and working on my 1960 Mini. First, a brief background on myself, I'm a 20 year old college student studying Mechanical Engineering at RPI in Troy, upstate NY. This will be my first time restoring a car, and I have little prior experience with cars. I'd like to think of of myself as pretty handy, and I like working with my hands.
Onto the car, I picked her up roughly 7 months ago and have wanted to do restore her ever since. I bought her under the knowledge that she was a slightly rare lhd '63, it was only until recently that I discovered she was a '60, making things a little more special.

Today was my first day and I started the tear down process. Got the most of the glass out, bonnet, boot lid, seats and seat belts among other things. I was, an sadly still am stuck on removing the doors as the screw heads appear very worn and I cannot find any purchase on them, even with the application of heat. Will tackle that later.
As far as the future is concerned, I plan on; swapping the 1098 that's currently in it for a 1275 spi that will be converted to twin su carbs, replacing the trunk floor, respraying, converting to 7.5" discs, tidying up the interior, replacing the seats and generally refreshing the car.
Plenty of work lies ahead which hopefully should go smoothly.
On a final note, is anyone interested in my cosmic wheels? I'd like to sell or trade them for a set of mini/ultra lites or anything dished.
Thanks!

jeff10049

Cool car i. Also have a 60 nearly done.
Couple tricks on the door screws are try a small amount of valve grinding compound on the tip of the best fitting screwdriver you can find it makes a big difference. Second is see if Dan has a impact driver the kind you hit with a hammer while turning they work well. Also those screw heads are big enough to grip with vice grips if you have to. Or cut a slot with a cut off wheel and try a flat blade screwdriver

Merlin

I have one of those manual impact hammers that I can bring up if you cant get them free.

Ill bring it up on the next run around. possibly today.
Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

Sometimes the best way to get those screws out is to weld a small bolt to the head, then the combination of the heat from welding and the extra leverage you can get with a wrench on the head of the bolt will get them right out.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

... would love to get my hands on a good 1098.... but yer a bit far!
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

Vikram

Another update from the last couple of days.
Pulled the fuel tank out with a little difficulty, one of the fittings seemed to have embedded itself in the rotten trunk floor.
On the topic of rotten, removing the exhaust was a real struggle. The exhaust manifold was completely stuck inside the y pipe and took so much hammering, cursing and twisting to remove that the y pipe is completely mangled. Oh and the bolts holding the pipe clamps were rusted too. Fortunately it's out, and will be replaced by a new lcb maniflow manifold leading into a rc40 pipe and exhaust. The intake and twin sus came off without issue, but are in need of a rebuild.
Pulled the radiator out too, which will be replaced by an aluminium 50mm unit.
Finally got the doors off today! Dan showed me to how to use the vice grip technique and it worked well.
Pulled out the transmission linkage and gearshift too.
Then moved on to removing the hubs which had unseen complications. Both balls joints refused to come out completely, even with much persuasion from the ball joint breaker bar, heat, PB blaster, hammering etc. Therefore after much time, we used a cutting wheel to cut through the stubborn bolts, and free the hubs. The lower right control arm and upper left control arm will have to be drilled out to remove the stuck bolts, but already they're out.
Not much left to do before pulling the engine.

94touring

Willie_B

Pretty soon we can come by for beach volleyball.

The car is getting there in stages. Looking good so far.

John Gervais

It's looking really good so far, but after reading the 'small task' descriptions, I foresee a massive shopping list in the near future. 

Perhaps some of the folks on here have some of the parts you need, so it wouldn't hurt to ask when the time comes.

What's going to happen when Dan suddenly owns a hill-top property with a subterranean workshop?
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Spelunking expeditions!

Vikram

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted.
The car has come a long way since then. The motor is out, the last few bits have been stripped off the car, the rotten/fibreglass botch job of the bootfloor has been cut out, the dent in the rear panel has been repaired and the car was sand blasted today.
I also had a bunch of parts come in, exhaust system, suspension kit, new boot floor and the disc brake kit. I was stuck for a while with the bearings races and rubber seals for the brakes, but Dan was able to sort it out in a jiffy. So the brakes are assembled and greased, just waiting for a final torque once on the subframe.
As far as foreseeing a massive shopping list goes, it was sadly a very perceptive prediction. The massive shopping list has since been ordered and should be coming in soon.
There is still a lot to do. The sandblasting expedition has since revealed some lovely bondo work that was hiding rust. So both a panels will have to be replaced. Additionally the entire rear end is iffy. The rear subframe needs to be repaired with some box section and the rear valence and boot lip will have to be grafted on using a section from a section that Dan has lying around.
Other than that, things are going well.

John Gervais

Chin up, it's gonna look great!
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

This turned out to be too far gone.  Tacked a new one in place.

stan360

Moving right along....Is it going to be green when its done ?

94touring

Tartan red, black roof.  Kinda llike Dean's car I did.

94touring

New boot floor in place for spot welding.