Due to arrive soon

Started by 94touring, August 07, 2020, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on November 14, 2020, 04:46:20 PM
It's hard to believe there is that much storage space in there while still having room for a couple of humans. Sure makes a guy wonder why anyone needs one of those huge RV's. But I also like to "camp" when we go camping. I don't need a TV, etc... Just a camp fire, some grub, a few brews and the company of whoever came along.

It's surprisingly spacious.  At some point when we do our long camping trips I will buy a side tent to spread out a little more.

cstudep

Those side tents are extremely useful for things like getting dressed and undressed (you can actually stand up), leaving your shoes, eating/relaxing when the mosquitos are out to kill etc.. They have them for overland vehicle use that attach to the roof like an awning.

Another useful item when longer remote camping is in order is one of those solar shower bags and one of the little pop up tent like things for them.

94touring

Made the trip without any issues.  Aside from being on the slow side going up hills!

MiniDave

How slow? Just a mild slowdown or being passed by bicycles?  ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I had to shift down into 3rd a couple times, which is about 40mph in a 60mph zone.  Granted we took back roads with little to no traffic for this reason. More scenic and fun though.  Loaded up with all the gear it still did 60-65mph provided we weren't on an incline.

94touring

We are very popular at the campground.  People keep stopping to check us out and one guy wanted to trade his Denali for the bus.

MiniDave

How cold is it supposed to get tonight? Are you plugged in to shore power? Got good sleeping bags?

Edit: Looks like mid 30's tonight
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

30 amp shore power plugged in with one big space heater and one smaller.  I only brought the small one to test while driving, and it works perfectly on the power inverter maintaining 12.5-13 volts while driving (with the fridge running too) vs the big one that was as low as 11 volts. Should be low 30s tonight.

Jims5543

Very cool!!  Enjoy your freezing cold camping trip with you snuggle buddy there. 

I still think you should shop for a Porsche 3.2 liter engine and / transaxle to swap into it.

250HP would be very nice in that.*   ;D

* - Edit - You know I am joking an air cooled 911 flat 6 swap would probably run over 20K to do right.

I think you mentioned turbo then decided on a built VW engine, I think that is the way to go. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I'm going to drop in a 2110 stroker motor.   Should triple the power and increase the power band 1k rpms too if I really need to wind it out for some reason.  Looked into other engine conversions but they were as you pointed out very expensive.  Looked at turbo'ng this 1600 but by time I spend money doing that I can spend about the same on that 2110 long block that's brand new.  What I'm hoping for is enough power to perhaps tow a mini around or someday a 356 speedster replica.  I need to research if it's capable with the extra power.

cstudep

Excellent, I like that fold out table. If that was featured in a previous pic I totally missed it 77.gif

We always take the "scenic route" when we go places if we have the time. It's much more leisurely and that's what "vacationing" is all about. Sometimes it actually ends up being faster. Anytime we head out to Denver we take Hwy 36 across Kansas, even being a lower speed limit and 2 lanes for most of it, we save about an hour off the trip vs going I-70 or I-80.....well except that one time I had to get out there quick for a family emergency I took the WRX across I-80 in Nebraska in the middle of the night. I averaged 95+mph across the state that time, but was extremely lucky I didn't get caught.

94touring

Space heater burning us out in here on high. 

Research shows won't be a problem towing.

BruceK

I love the night photo with the camper interior gently glowing. 

So great you are enjoying it. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

+1 that pic at night looks cozy.

Dan, if you ever need help spending your money, let me know that is what I am here for.

Quote from: cstudep on November 15, 2020, 04:31:00 PM
Excellent, I like that fold out table. If that was featured in a previous pic I totally missed it 77.gif

We always take the "scenic route" when we go places if we have the time. It's much more leisurely and that's what "vacationing" is all about. Sometimes it actually ends up being faster. Anytime we head out to Denver we take Hwy 36 across Kansas, even being a lower speed limit and 2 lanes for most of it, we save about an hour off the trip vs going I-70 or I-80.....well except that one time I had to get out there quick for a family emergency I took the WRX across I-80 in Nebraska in the middle of the night. I averaged 95+mph across the state that time, but was extremely lucky I didn't get caught.

We do the same, as a matter of fact we are working on a road trip to an Air BNB right now in early December, figure we may as well do a road trip before the Government forces us to sit at home again in January. The plan is to take mostly back roads up. If we took the interstate we could knock out the trip in 3 hours or so, the plan is to go on secondary roads the entire way up and do some exploring, as best we can all things considered.

I did a similar run in my old 1980 Porsche 911 hotrod.  I had to make an unplanned run from my vacation home in NC to my office in Florida. I left at 0400 and rocketed down. Average moving speed according to my Garmin was 80 MPH IIRC including surface roads and 1 gas stop to make the 730 mile one way trip. I did the trip right at 9 hours in 30 minutes with the gas stop.  That damn car would get 30 MPG cruising at 80 MPH and had a 18 gallon tank.  IIRC.  I stopped at the 400 mile mark topped it off and took back off.  Not sure how I did not get a ticket that day.  I arrived at my office at 1:30 in the afternoon, to take care of the problems then take care of some other business issues.  I slept at my house, then went into the office for most of the next day.  Taking back off at 3PM to go back.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Just made the trip back.  Only issue was filling up the tank before the trip, I came out of the gas station to a puddle of fuel and what looked like a substantial leak.  I just put new lines on so ruled that out pretty quickly. Come to find out there's 2 tank vents.  One has a line on it and the other is a bit more hidden and had no line.  Once I saw about where the fuel was coming from and reached my hand up there was able to feel the vent.  Had a short length of hose on me and was able to get it on and raise it high enough to stop the fuel flow.  Took a couple bottles of water and rinsed things down since it was basically all over the engine and the one exhaust pipe.  I had been wondering what the strong fuel smell was since buying the bus and that explains it.  Gas mileage wise I was anticipating about 15mpg all loaded up, which was precisely what I got on the way down. On the way back I got about 1/8th more on the fuel gauge than going there, which probably makes sense since it was more uphill going down.

cstudep

I fixed a leaking fuel vent tube on an old jeep wrangler and ended up getting 2 mpg better gas mileage. Quite a lot can slosh out of a leaky vent sometimes I suppose.

94touring

Now that we knocked out a 5 hour round trip in this 1600cc powerhouse, I placed the 2110cc engine order with a company in California.  Build is specific to the bus so will be geared more towards low end and mid range torque.  The 2110 is stroked which was one advantage for more low end power.  Other details will be larger valves in the heads but nothing radical, upgraded cam but nothing radical, stock ratio valves but high performance single springs vs dual springs so it's easier on lobes and I won't be revving the piss out of the engine.  Dual weber idf 40s vs 44s for again low end/mid range power.  The exhaust I have on there was also chosen for the build for low end power, bigger, better flowing, but nothing huge. 8:1 compression vs stock 7:7:1.  Gave me the option to go to 9:1 but engine cooling and longevity are best with 8:1. Adding a 1.5qt oil sump as stock these things only hold about 3 quarts.  Adding an oil filter and a full flow oil system, as well as new oil cooler.  All chromely internals and some other beefier internals that give me the option to go turbo if I ever decide that for some reason.  Should yield 120hp and 140tq at the crank vs current stock of about 55hp and 80tq.  Bring on the hills.  Upgraded clutch kit to handle it.  I already have a 356 alternator pulley to increase fan speed for additional cooling but will need to upgrade the fan before installing to a welded and balanced unit as the stockers can grenade with the increased speed.  The stock fan has some bent blades anyways.

cstudep

Nice, That should certainly be a noticeable upgrade! Any time you can double HP and torques is a good time indeed.

MPlayle

Are going to do anything about the transmission?

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on November 18, 2020, 09:15:40 AM

I keep going back and forth on doing a freeway flyer that would lower rpms a little in 4th.  But reading online many don't like it.  Then again they are mostly under powered.  I may run it by the guy in California and see what he says.  It's geared to do 65mph but would be nice if I could cruise at 70 doing the same rpms. 

gr8kornholio

Who's the guy/shop building it?  At some point our bug will be getting done and it will need engine work/more power.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

His name is Jeff with Gemvw.  His prices were good compared to many others and he got good reviews online.  Free shipping too.  I came out under budget going with him.  The guy nearby had such bad reviews I didn't even bother.

G67mcs

Sounds like the ideal engine for your camper/bus. By the way camping pics were great! I'm sure it drew lots of attention on road and at the site.
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on November 18, 2020, 09:15:40 AM

Turns out I probably have some kind of unusual Brazilian gearing that was offered.  Found available options online.  Matching up my rpms to speeds it looks like it has a 5.86 final drive.  Stock early type 2 buses had a 5.37 and a 4th gear of 0.82.  This is with 1600cc motors barely able to move out of their own way.  As it is right now doing 65mph I'm zinging along at 4200rpms.  The 5.37 would give me 3800 rpms.  The later type two buses had a 4.86 with 4th gear of 0.88 and eventually a 4.57.  I'm kind of eyeballing the 4.86, which would put me at 3600 rpms at 65mph, or 70mph at 4k rpms.  Freeway flyers are 4.12 and 3.88 usually, which is way too tall for a bus, even with a built motor.