A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

I remember years ago browsing channels on the TV and Duel was just starting. Couldn't turn it off.

BruceK

I saw this 1913 Model T this morning.  Full of patina (but not fake patina), it just screamed "original" and looked every bit of 113 years old.  Except it was restored sometime back in the late 1970s or early 1980s but then abandoned in a barn for the past 40 years or so.   The owner acquired it and got it running again. 

The only clue (to me anyway) that it wasn't totally original is the dark blue - instead of black - paint.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Get him to take your a drive....watch what you have to do to drive these!

My SIL and daughter have a 26 T sedan....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got out and about with the KC MINI club yesterday - weather was cloudy and very cool, today we have bright sunshine and 60*

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Eddie Van Halen past away today.  Apparently he was a mini fan also.  Surprised it wasn't painted like his guitar.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Yes he was only 65 years old not that old really.

Well I guess that red S just gained a lot of value, It seems to be the only picture circulating I wonder if he still owned it?

MiniDave

I read he had part of his tongue and jaw removed a while back - he said he used brass and chrome pics, and where he had to have the surgery was where he used to keep his pics in his mouth.

I read he died of throat cancer......

Do we know if he owned that car or just leaned against it for a picture?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

No idea if he did.  Yea I read he'd battled several issues over the last 20 years.  Including hip replacement and rehab for substance abuse.  It's amazing the rockers we loose compared to the ones still going when it comes to lifestyles. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Coil packs and Webbers.  Interesting.   Also, never seen that hose running from the block to the head like that either.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Coil packs are a new one to me.....

The hose to the head is fairly common mod to keep the circulation better - it's known as a dry deck. You block off all the water ports between the block and the head, then the water is forced back to the end of the block and back to the thermostat thru the head.

As it was originally designed, some of the water comes out of the pump and goes right up thru the ports back into the head and out the thermostat. You get much more even cooling doing it the way this car has it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

New Front Euro plate for the E30...

Still working on a IS spoler for the front. I just got all the new brackets and have 2 lips, hopefully a new lip will be on soon.

If only I have time, my subcontract drafter found a second client and he has blown me off. So I am working all weekend to try to catch up.

Late next week I will be either hiring on a drafter or putting half my staff on notice they may be laid off. Which sucks, it was a good 4 year run.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

I spotted this dually pickup which has put to use the normally wasted space above and around the rear wheels. Cabinets replace the rear fenders.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

Looks like it might actually hold up to a rear blow out as well. With the standard fiberglass fenders a rear blow out usually means that entire side of bed is destroyed.

Jims5543

New project, backyard lighting.

I am going to tap into the old pool pump control panel (which is disabled but still hot) for 120v power.

It is wired for 240v.  I think I thought 240 ran 2 black or 2 white wires, I look in here and see what looks to be 120v.

I am thinking of running to home depot and buying a PVC junction box and getting rid of this rusty mess.

I put a volt meter on the black and white wires and it is 240.

Off to see if there is a way to reduce to 120...

OK If I am reading correctly, I am going to use the black (or white) wire and a ground or green to achieve 120v.

If I do not post by noon tomorrow, I have electrocuted myself to death.

I love all of you and think you are all the most awesome people on this planet.

^^^  Just in case I dead myself.

Side yard where shower I just built is located.

Down the middle of the yard, I suspended a string light from our palm tree to the gazebo. I have a lot of cleaning up to do wiring wise. This is just test fitting the lighting right now, the hard work is getting it all wired up clean.

I have 4 LED flood lights for the hill, here are 2 of them, again hastily wired up, I want to run conduit and have junction boxes for all of this.  Again I find myself asking... WTF am I thinking?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

you can rob 120 by using the ground but it's not really safe or legal as you then have no ground better to move the white wire to the neutral bar back at the breaker panel and switch to a single-pole breaker for the black wire. (just look at other 120v circuits to see what I'm saying)

Or if that's not a possibility get a 240 to 120 transformer and put it in the control box.

You really don't want to use the ground as a neutral it can be a bad situation even if people do get away with it.

Lights look killer by the way.

tsumini

At the panel find the breaker to this circuit. It's probably a dual breaker with the white wire coming from one connection and the black wire coming off the other. The 240 will be the voltage across the two wires. a 110V leg should be the voltage across the white wire and the panel common bus. The other 110 leg should be the voltage across the black wire and the panel common bus.
Easiest is to connect either the black or white wire to one of the breaker sides and the other to the common bus. This should be 110V.
Or replace the dual breaker with a single breaker then the connection from the breaker and the common will be 110V.

jeff10049

correct but white should be common and black hot for 110 just for consistency sake. Green or bare ground. And yes definitely replace the breaker for a 15 amp single pole again to avoid confusion later on.

Jims5543

Thanks for the input guys.  I read online this was a hack but do not want to create a dangerous situation.

I should have been clearer. The box I took a picture of was the old controller box for my old pool pump, we now have a digital multi speed pump.  There was no longer a need for the timer in the picture.

So I need 240 in that box which eliminates the option of changing it at the panel.  I found a distribution transformer and will get that and just wire that in.

Just like every other project I start, it gets more complicated and more expensive.

I mean, I can just run a new line from the panel too. I will have to weigh out that cost vs. the transformer.  The transformer is $200.   How much would it cost me to run a dedicated line from the panel to the back yard?

I will work that out before I make a leap.

Jims5543

Plan C has emerged.

When we had the pool resurfaced we had the fiberglass guy cover over the pool light (old school style not the new led type) and remove the fixture. 

I completely forgot there is a conduit on a light switch inside the back patio that terminates right outside the screen enclosure.  So the plan is to open that up and use that wiring to power the lights in the back yard. Added bonus?  We can flip them on and off from a switch on the patio.  Win! Win!

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After all the car shenigans on Friday I had to reorganize my shop yet again so I could get the Racing Green back inside, since Grundy's rules require that it be parked in a garage when not in use.

One of the motors Dan brought up is still in the subframe with all the suspension, so it was a good opportunity to see if I can use my new hydraulic cart to remove and reinstall one complete like this into a car - works a treat - especially with a lift. On jack stands you would have to raise it up a bit to get the table under the engine, then you would need to raise the body up a lot to get the motor out from under it. It would be perfect for Don's Danmar lift as it's completely clear underneath and you could use it for either the front or rear subframes on his lift. It would really work well on jack stands to remove or install a rear subby.....or in front without the motor. All in all I think it will be a great tool to have in my shop.

It's a bit full in here right now, so I was thinking I might temporarily store the 998 Automatic in the engine test bed, but then I'll just have to remove it again to put WillieB's motor in for the start up and run in.

The white car is on the lift for a complete suspension rebuild and I ordered parts for it, so it will be a couple of weeks before they get here. In the meantime I'll carry on building WillieB's 1275 engine. going to be a busy month in December - hope my health holds up but I've been feeling a bit better the last three or four days.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad