68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniGene

Cool!  Will you have enough to do the bonnet?  Seems like that would be a good piece to spray to see if you're going to like how it looks on the truck.

94touring

Oh no, just ordered a 4oz sample.  Gona shoot it over a small piece of sheet metal that has various colors as a base to see how it looks over each one.  White, black, grey, and metallic silver will be the test bases.  I've contemplated trying to shoot a true kandy paint over a metallic base.  This is a kandy mixed in with pearl, so its suppose to be easier to spray (and repair later if needed), and look like a true kandy.  Curious to see how it reacts to the different bases, if at all.  When I do the main paint job it will all be shot at once to avoid having some panels different shades than others.   

snack

"When I do the main paint job it will all be shot at once to avoid having some panels different shades than others"

So will the bonnet.boot, and doors be all attached when you spray?

94touring

No, but they'll be in line with the body to get the same coverage, and sprayed in the same temp/humidity, pressure, ect...  I sprayed a door on one of my cars a few years ago at a different time than the body and it was a complete different shade.  Was able to fix it, but just extra work. 

MiniGene

Wow, I didn't even think that would matter.  I figured as long as you were using the same mixture you'd be good to go.  That is good info to keep in mind.

94touring

Yeah doing metallics/pearls on different days is not recommended, as you can run into the metallic laying different and ending up with a different result each time.  Also should spray the doors on their side rather than flat so it lays the same.  Just one more preventative step to make things come out better in the end.  The underside and inside will be shot at different times obviously.    

Nicholasupton

I have found that Metallic's can easily be sprayed in batches as long as they are orientated the same relation to each other and the airflow of the paint booth. For Pearls/candies I usually jamb the car foam the panels in place spray the candy/ pearl then blow it back apart for clear.

94touring

Quote from: Nicholasupton on October 05, 2011, 07:07:14 PM
For Pearls/candies I usually jamb the car foam the panels in place spray the candy/ pearl then blow it back apart for clear.

Hey Nick, could you explain that part. 

Nicholasupton

I use thishttp://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m400-5.aspx back in the gaps to prevent overspray from darkening the jambs. I have only done 2 cars in candy and this worked well for me.  Most of the time when I use candy it is for a small personal project as as they are almost never used in restorations.

94touring

Ok thought thats what you meant.  Thanks for the clarification.   

94touring

Paint due to arrive today and just ordered both sills and lower door frame step panels. 

MiniGene

94touring

GBcarparts.com.  That guy David who runs it does a good job and his prices are good.  I order from minisport too depending what I'm getting.   

94touring

Ok shot a test panel to experiment with this paint.  My phone only takes but so good of pics but here goes... 

Primered and then shot white, metallic, and black

Tried to take pics at different angles to kinda show how it looks at different angles.  Here it is clear coated.  I like the metallic base the best.  It stays a little darker at all angles and pops a little more.  Straight on it looks identical to the regular grey primer.

MPlayle

I don't know, but in the pictures it looks streaky?  Almost like uneven spraying?

94touring

Prob the reflection from the ceiling in the shop, its not streaky in person.  I need to invest in a camera too.  Pics don't do it justice but you get the general idea.  This is HOK candy/pearl.  First time shooting that kind of paint.    

London Dry

Hey Dan -- I really like the Kandy Pearl Red/Orange! Interesting how the different undercolors affect the top coat. I used to spray plastic model cars when I was a kid with Kandy colors. We used either gold or silver as the undercoat. Jeez, now I'm a grown-up and a real-sized car, even a Mini, is loads more work :-)

Got my BRG SPi running...finally. I have taken loads of pix. Still have some issues with the ECU and various sensors that talk to it. Need to post to my page.

Your pick-up is going to be SWEET!

--Dana
Dana Jones
95 SPI

94touring

Dana good to hear from you.  I need to check out your car.

Nicholasupton

You should try it with a white basecoat, purple or white pearl mid coat and candy tricoat. Gives a great effect if you can pull it off. I did it on a shop refrigerator for a friend and ghosted in he shop name by masking it off during the pearl coat.

94touring

Never thought of trying purple.  I may have to toy around some more.

AcesLow

Are the Replacement floors seam or spot welded to the tunnel? Also how do you know that the floor is level?

94touring

In the photos I had only welded a few areas along the tunnel, but it will be a continuous weld when I'm done.  Regarding how level it is, in my case I feel confident since it had to line up with the subby attach panel, the front kick panel area (later cut out but specifically a bolt hole for the subby which I used to bolt the two together to hold it in place), and each side where it either lined up along the door frame and along the tunnel where it levels off into the floor.  So after you get all the key points in place where the old floor was, if its off its not enough to matter.    

94touring

Door frames and sills are due to arrive on the 14th!  Woot. 

Nicholasupton

Which door frames did you order, as I have not been able to source complete door frames for MK1/2 cars?

94touring

Nic, these aren't the whole frames, they are bottom repair with the side panel that extend back into the rear arch.  I'll snap some photos when they get in when I'm back from work this week.