68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

"Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs"   ;D

94touring

Got her welded into place, now to do the other corner. 

94touring

Ok to finish it off I had to fab up the elbow brace that sits behind the corner. 

Also I took off a bunch of bondo along the side, found a few dents and dings, but the most impressive thing were two holes in the upper corner that were simply filled over with bondo rather than welded closed. 

MiniGene

Looks good!  What area are you moving onto next?

94touring

Well I want to get the other corner done, the valance on, and then I need to tidy up the front left a little.  Then its the floors.  I have a few patches in the bed to make, and looks like the left side of the body is going to need a section cut out and replaced, but thats easy.  Get this rear end done and the floors and I'm home free. 

94touring

Managed to fab up a new bracket for the tailgate hinges and patch up the bed where it all goes together.  Was more of a PITA than I was expecting.  Tomorrow I may start fabbing the right corner.  After clamping things together it looks like the valance is a tad too long and I may need to shorten it about a half inch.   

MiniGene

What condition is your tailgate in?  Do you have to do any work to it?  I saw your post about FG parts.  I didn't even know they made a FG tailgate.

94touring

Its in good shape aside from some dents, but I like the idea of shaving weight and having something that can't rust.

Ok so here's what I got done today. 

Before

After

Other corner cleaned up. 

MiniGene

Nice progress!  What are your plans for the color?

94touring

I'm still leaning toward a bright metallic orange and white roof.  Next week I should get the rest of that rear end done and move on to something else.     

94touring

Didn't get to do anything with the truck this week, had a big list of house chores to catch up on.  However next month I have a lot of time off and hope to tackle a lot of body work. 

94touring

Ok well got a chance to organize at the shop today, sort through boxes of tools, and play with the rear valance a little. 

Jims5543

Is this a Keeper or are you selling it.

If you are selling, lets talk. :D

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on May 20, 2011, 04:30:03 PM
Is this a Keeper or are you selling it.

If you are selling, lets talk. :D

LOL i've heard that before!  This is a keeper, if I ever get the damn thing done! 

MiniGene

Glad to see you're working on the truck again.  I thought it was going to be put on the back burner for a while. 

I need to get out to the garage and back to the 77.  I've been distracted with other things as of late.

94touring

I intend to keep working on it.  Should have done more the past couple days but motivation levels have been low.  On that rear valance I had to chop it in half and reduce the length by about a half inch to get the ends to line up evenly on each side.  Welded it back together and clamped it up. 

MEhinger

Dan, where do you buy sheet metal stock and what gage do you buy?

94touring

I just get it from home depot or the like.  22 gauge is what I'm using on a lot of areas, its a little thinner. 

MEhinger

22 gage!! Then I admire yous skills with a mig even more. That is hard to weld.

94touring

Yes its thin  ;D  Ok moving along, today I thought I'd poke at this area and see what I could uncover.

It was badly dented in with about 3/4" of bondo and rust underneath, so I cut the bastard out.

Double layers again for no apparant reasoning.   :-[

And got part of the side fabricated and tacked into place.  Will not need 10lbs of bondo now. 

Gona be a lot of work back there...

94touring

Hey finally touched it!  Rear corner complete, tomorrow gona try and get the inner areas painted and throw on the valance.  

94touring

Ok the rear is done.  Primered and sprayed with some white acrylic enamal I have.   

MiniGene

Progress!!!  Looking good.

94touring

Ordered rave fender flares today.  Similar to wood and picket, just a tad wider. 

MiniGene

I had to look those up, I had never heard of them before.  They look nice and clean.  Are you going to paint match them to the body?