Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

Quote from: BruceK on November 30, 2021, 09:00:55 AM
Quote from: cstudep on November 29, 2021, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: BruceK on November 29, 2021, 06:59:07 PM
Sold for $37,250.

Looks like it was RNM at 37,250.

Thanks for the correction. I wonder what the reserve was?

I'd have guessed that it was close to that price but who knows. You would think if it had been anywhere at or below 38,500 they would have lowered the reserve  since the bidding got so close? So I would assume it was maybe 40,000 or more? They mentioned it was still available so that makes me think the reserve must have been pretty high if one of the higher bidders and the seller have not brokered a "deal" by now.

Scargo

The comment about the car still being available was made by the seller 15 minutes after the auction ended.

BruceK

And the hits keep coming.  Yet another, another Mini is on BaT.   This is one is a repeat offender, having sold previously on BaT for $15k.  Which is just crazy for a 998 car no matter that it has the big wheels favored by those folks who are just getting into Minis.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-6/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 22, 2021, 04:48:38 PM
Lucky guess! 

Here's another JDM Mini just listed on BaT.   I've never heard of anyone calling it a "four-speed" model. Thanks

How is it this highly non-original car (which is frankly not that impressive) was acceptable for BaT and Michael's car was not? 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-rover-mini-2/

Sold for $16,301.  Which I think was too high for what it was. Can't get past ripping out dual circuit brake system and installing a less-safe single circuit system.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Silly money for a bitsa Mini with previous badly repaired accident damage and a less than desirable brake system especially when you consider $16301 USD is $20,702 Canadian.

I thought the Aussie S bought enough money at $37,250 and should have sold for that price.

BruceK

Yet another, another, another Mini has emerged on BaT.    This one is a Mk I Cooper, but not a S.  Said to have started life as a 997 Cooper.  I thought all non-S Coopers were the 998 variety by 1964, but I have not looked that up. In any case it's a 1300 now.  And the original owner was said to have owned it for well over 50 years, which is pretty amazing.  It's black over white which of course is the best Mini color combo.  ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-mini-cooper-7/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

They're coming out of the woodwork! Still can't understand why they rejected Michael's, but oh well.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

with the prices they have been bringing lately I am not all that surprised I guess. If a guy/gal was even considering getting rid of one it sure looks like now would be the time to try to off load it.

I am with you though, no idea why they wouldn't take Michael's.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on December 01, 2021, 06:20:05 PM
Yet another, another, another Mini has emerged on BaT.    This one is a Mk I Cooper, but not a S.  Said to have started life as a 997 Cooper.  I thought all non-S Coopers were the 998 variety by 1964, but I have not looked that up. In any case it's a 1300 now.  And the original owner was said to have owned it for well over 50 years, which is pretty amazing.  It's black over white which of course is the best Mini color combo.  ;D

Its a January 63 build so it would have been a 997, it was probably sold and registered in 64.
It sold for $23k in 2018 and should beat that price now with the bidding already at $13k.
The big negative with this Cooper is it is still using the small 7 inch Cooper brakes, it definitely needs the 7.5 inch S brakes upgrade.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on November 23, 2021, 09:25:55 AM
And... yet another Mini has popped up on BaT.   It's a Clublman with the boring combo of a 998 and a slushbox.

Got a feeling someone's gonna buy it for a VTEC swap.  Then again, with the auto it's the perfect car for a non-Mini person to get a Mini.  But the Clubman front end hurts the cute factor.

My guess is that it will be bid to around $10K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-austin-mini-4/

Sold for $8,700. A cheap way to get into Mini ownership.

BruceK

What!? Has BaT run out of Porsches to auction?  Or have they found a rich vein of Minis to be sold?  In any case, there are so many Minis that have come through in the last month and now there's another.

This one will be of particular interest to Dave and Dan.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-mini-innocenti-mini-1001/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on December 03, 2021, 03:03:39 PM
What!? Has BaT run out of Porsches to auction?  Or have they found a rich vein of Minis to be sold?  In any case, there are so many Minis that have come through in the last month and now there's another.

Nah, they still have 65 Porsches currently listed.

The recent spate of Minis was the excuse they gave when they finally responded to my request for more details on why mine was rejected - saying they had received too many submissions of Minis.  It only took them a little over a month to respond to that request.

Note: They currently have a whopping 3 Classic Minis and 2 New MINIs currently listed.

(Would you guys agree I am a bit disillusioned by BaT?)

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 30, 2021, 06:35:07 PM

And the hits keep coming.  Yet another, another Mini is on BaT.   This is one is a repeat offender, having sold previously on BaT for $15k.  Which is just crazy for a 998 car no matter that it has the big wheels favored by those folks who are just getting into Minis.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-6/

Sold again for $15,000.  Wow. Lotsa bucks for a 998 IMO. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Is that the one that had a trailer last time, same body color?

Edit: No, that was a different car - the guy that bought it bumped it from $10K to $15K in one go, pretty much killed any further bidding.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah. It's another one.

This one is a late model JDM Mini with a 1275 and it's been converted to 10" wheels.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-rover-mini/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

BaT keeps churning out auctions for Minis.  Time for an English Moke.

Almost guaranteed to bring big bucks.  I'm thinking at least mid-30s. Perhaps $40K?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-morris-mini-moke-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think mid 30's to early 40's too, this is a nice one and looks good too.

Does that look like it might be at Mike Malamut's place?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The main floors of that Moke are replacement flat steel.  The welds are also rather "meaty" and not smoothed down.  They had to fabricate some mounts for the rear ears of the front subframe to mount to as the cross-member arrangement is missing due to the replacement floors.

They also put a later model dash parcel shelf on just the left hand side.

The rails on the tops of the pontoons for securing the bottoms of the side curtains are also not normal.

The rear seat is also a replacement as a 1967 UK Moke should have 4 of the metal "bucket" seats - not a rear bench seat.

The rear yellow turn signal lenses are not correct - not sure what those are from.

It will likely go for serious money just because it is a Moke even with the above issues.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 01, 2021, 06:20:05 PM

This not-a-Cooper-S sold for $34,000.  Quite a lot for what it is IMO.  I mean it's a Mk I and a born a 997 Cooper and all, but wow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The red and black 998 Innocenti hasn't even broken $5K yet with just a day left in the auction. Hmmm.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Scargo

I would venture to say that with the educated and keen observations and comments made on BaT by Hugh Cannon, this Moke may not bring the high dollars usually seen by UK Mokes on BaT, unless it goes to some clueless high-roller who doesn't know Mokes and doesn't care about originality.

BruceK

The red Innocenti Mini 1001 with the 998 sold for $14,500.  Fair price for that car I think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 10, 2021, 05:52:48 PM
The red Innocenti Mini 1001 with the 998 sold for $14,500.  Fair price for that car I think.

There is an interesting comment from the Seller after the auction ended.  BaT contributed $500 to make the sale??

The end was an rollercoaster. Thought It was below reserve and was kind of excited to keep the car. Then it listed as sold. Emotional whiplash! FYI reserve was 15k and BaT made up the difference.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Yes, when listing a car on BaT the "Terms of Use" indicate they reserve the right to do just that.  I have not heard of it happening much before.

It probably surprised the seller as most sellers probably skim over the terms and miss that clause.  It goes closely in hand with the other "feature" in the terms permitting them to ask about forwarding the high bidder's information in cases of RNM to give the option of a 'second chance' deal after the end of the auction.

MiniDave

Does the second chance deal require the buyer to pay the fee to BaT?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad