The drunk thread

Started by 94touring, December 28, 2014, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

So much happiness here:

My plan for all 3 is to only open them when I can enjoy them with someone else.

Just wrote the check for the new AC in the office, I may need a drink now. I was wrong, the new install cost $3600. So much for friend discounts. He gets no whiskey.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Really good. Subtle toffee flavor.  They have a banana bread too I've had that's the same way.

94touring

94touring

Jen came to one of my 2 day overnights. We're doing mead tasting and just found another brewery and going through their list as well. Bought a few bottles to fly home.

Jims5543

Meade is good stuff, my older son turned me on to it when we were in Charleston years ago.

Gave my neighbor a bottle of Whiskey, he had me over to enjoy it with him the other night.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Some Fedex delays due to weather or some crap like that.  ;D

2 bottles arrived, the 1996 bottle is VERY rare, I had to enter a lottery in order to be given a chance to order it. I won and was given the opportunity. I am going to store it for a while and maybe sell it back off. Kind of a liquid investment.

The Eagle might get opened this week. I had a couple of fingers of Makers Mark Cask Strength last night with dinner. I had not had a Bourbon in a long while, been mostly sticking to Scotch and Irish Whiskey, the Bourbon flavor really hit me. I really enjoyed it.

Willie_B

Took the tour of a rum distillery south of Columbus GA. They grow and process their own sugar cane to make the rum with. Distilled in large copper vats then into the barrels for 4 years. After they use the barrels once they send them to other places like vineyards and breweries for use. Then they are returned for another batch of rum that will pick up a hint of the flavor from the last use of the barrel. Small place so we got to see the whole operation.

94touring

Grab some royal jamaican ginger beer to go with that rum.  And a lime   77.gif

Jims5543

Nice Rum!!  I love little distilleries like that.

I will get some pics tomorrow of some that I have collected in my travels.

Tonight I tried something different, not sure how I feel about it. I drank one and switched to a strong IPA. I will revisit this one, since there are 5 left.  ;D

94touring

Montgomery Alabama tonight.

94touring

Mother of all bad pours.  I made him try again.

MPlayle

Instead of a little head on your beer, he must have heard "a little beer with lots of head".

11.gif

BruceK

I'm at a German festival, the Wurstfest.   Mmmmmm  German beer and sausage and music.  Das ist gud!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

We had Octoberfest last month.  You probably should have picked your mini up that weekend.

BruceK

That would have been fun.  Has anybody here been to the real Oktoberfest in Germany?   I think I'd really like to do that some time. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I vaguely recall being to OctoberFest in Germany as a small child something close to 50 years ago.  We were stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany 1968 to 1971.

MiniDave

1979.............I was traveling with a girl by bicycle all over Europe, we were gone almost a year and part of our general plan was to wind up in Munchen (where we had friends) in late Sept or early October. We had started our run just as school was out in late May - she was a social studies teacher for middle school and had taken a year's leave of absence on the premise of gathering info on other cultures and teaching methods for her class.

We set up our tiny little dome tent (unheard of then in Europe - most just had a puptent) at a campsite out in a giant field outside of town (Thalkirchen  http://campingplatz-thalkirchen.de/?lang=en) Octoberfest being the huge multinational event that it is, the campsite was overflowing, with more coming in every day. The first morning we awoke to find the back of a schoolbus parked right over the top of our tent! 2 more feet and we'd have been squished.....

The event was held in enormous tents that held as many as 10,000 revelers, the tents were full of very long tables, we pulled up at the end of one in the Lowenbrau tent and ordered 2 beers. The beers were served in 1 liter mugs that were made from very thick glass and weighed a ton (I know because I sent two home) and the Frauliens who brought them to the tables were *ahem* strong German ladies - they carried 5 full mugs in each hand, I could barely lift one full one!

In the center of the tent was a raised bandstand with the oompah band playing away - one interesting note, the bandstand had an elevator, and anyone could go up and lead the band in your favorite drinking song! - everyone at the table had already been served several rounds by the tine we sat down and they were determined to teach us the words of the songs by getting right in our faces and singing VERY loudly, we didn't understand a word, but got into the spirit of things and raised out mugs and swayed to the music right along with the rest of the bench.....smiling all the time.

We went to several tents that night before catching the S-bahn back to the campsite - I have no idea how we found our tent again that night, and like I said awoke the next morning to find the bus providing shade against the morning sun by parking right over the top of us.

The next day our friends met us and drove us to a different venue, where they served turnips and some awful smelling cheese along with the beer.

I don't remember a whole lot more about the event, just the incredible size of the overall site and the huge number of drunk happy people in each of the tents.

I have a picture we took in the Lowenbrau tent, when I get a chance I'll scan it in - I have dozens of pretty incredible stories to tell from our trip, earthquakes in Greece, train derailments in the middle of the night, storms at sea, train robbers in Italy and the night we got to the youth hostel in Germany late, and were not allowed in! Spending two weeks on the Cote d'Azur, going from town to town along the coast, driving on the German Autobahn - in a 2CV, finding the tiny town in Switzerland where my grandfather grew up......many, many stories and memories...... 
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Jims5543

Sent wife to Beer store a few towns away to get limited releases for me. I would love to go but have no free time and probably will not until after the new year maybe.  America is buying, building and spending like it is 2004 again. So I decided to spend all my money on alcohol.

She grabbed me some special limited availability bottles.

I had lunch in downtown Ft. Pierce yesterday, a couple of blocks away is a cool liquor store with a saloon out behind it. I stopped in to see if they had anything cool on the shelves. I grabbed the Elijah Craig because I have heard good things about it and I thought I would try, since it is only about $30  bottle why not?  The clerk was really nice we ended up chatting, she mentioned I was spending all my time in the Whiskey section, I told her that was what I like. She asked if I would be interested in a bottle of Blantons.  Hell yeah!!  She said she hid 2 bottles in the back from her boss, she said anytime something really good and rare comes in the boss takes it to the West Palm Beach Store.  She decided to hide these so some clients up here could have something cool

Score!!

94touring

Speaking of beer.  Found a new local brewery not far from my house. I saw signs saying they're open a select few hours a day for tasting. Need to make my way there soon to see what they're about.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 09, 2017, 02:59:19 PM
Speaking of beer.  Found a new local brewery not far from my house. I saw signs saying they're open a select few hours a day for tasting. Need to make my way there soon to see what they're about.

A new one opened here a few months ago, they have a wall of gifting beers, you buy someone a beer, write their name on it and they can come get it.  It does not have to be a person, you can write, 1st Reponders or Veteran, or active duty or Registered Nurse, Firefighter etc...

I have an idea for a caper, I will update when I pull it off.

Meanwhile, I snapped this pic while working the other night at home on a really stressful job with some impatient builder clients.

94touring

gr8kornholio

I'm on the hunt for the Elijah Craig Barrel proof.  So far no good.  Straight out the barrel no messing with it.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.