Cone compression tool

Started by Hercplt, April 27, 2014, 12:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercplt

I have a cone comression tool... but sadly the threads on the end are stripped to the point of not being able to compress the cone without coming out.
I'm dealing with cones for the '79 Mini... so metric threads??  I need to know exactly what thread I'm looking for to build my own tool... or instructions! 
I will probably "sawsall" the trumpets anyway to get it all out.... but in the mean time if I can get a compression tool of some kind to work it would be nice.
Cheers!
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

94touring

I made my own.   Weld you a piece of m14 on that sucker and have at it.

Hercplt

Now you have me at a disadvantage!! 8.gif  What does M14 mean?  And I don't weld.... any chance at finding a long length of this as a rod?
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

94touring

M14 is the size thread bolt you need.  I took a piece of m14 and welded it to a rod of 1/2" since I couldn't find a rod of m14. 

Hercplt

Ok cool.  There are a couple industrial fastener shops in the city here... they may have something.  I might just have to have someone weld the end for me perhaps...
Trying to replace the cones and other parts.... starting to look like the upper arms should come out to... might just end up dropping the whole subframe!  Looks like a slippery slope to me!

94touring

Yeah subby out makes it nice.

Willie_B

The upper arm will need to come out to change the front cone.

Hercplt

Quote from: Willie_B on April 27, 2014, 03:52:17 PM
The upper arm will need to come out to change the front cone.

Yeah.... I think the upper arm shafts should be looked at anyway... even though I'd rather not open up something else!  Oh well.. 

jedduh01

HOws this project coming along

I use a standard M14 Metric Bolt-  its about 7 Inches long to reach down into the frame- but works every time.
Some large thick flat washers to spread the load on the crossmember is needed too.
but WILL work.