A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

For use on mini fuselage and front hub landing gear?

Willie_B

Quote from: sparetimetoys on May 18, 2014, 04:03:56 AM
A couple of these should stop the mini. Way down south Texas for a quick brake job
Throw it out as an anchor?

Jims5543

Those brakes look insane!!

Purchased new tires for the RX8, was unpackaging them and parked one next to he Mini, made a small adjustment and laughed, had to take a pic.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on May 17, 2014, 06:02:06 AM
I wasn't planning on having to bleed them but since I couldn't compress either piston, I had to undo the lines to take the calipers off and get physical with a hammer.  I still need to give them another bleeding, felt mushy on the way home.    :-[

I keep seeing the proper tool on ebay and never pull the trigger - I welded a clamp together so I could push-and-turn and it has worked so far...but just barely.

Another tool I 'need'.   ::)

94touring

I've always used a c clamp on cars with no problems.   Threw me for a loop when that didn't work.   

Nice tires Jim, tub it out.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on May 18, 2014, 07:55:21 PM
I've always used a c clamp on cars with no problems.   Threw me for a loop when that didn't work.   

This is the first car I've owned that you can't just push, you have to turn at the same time.  Is the piston threaded or something??   8.gif

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on May 19, 2014, 03:00:13 AM
Quote from: 94touring on May 18, 2014, 07:55:21 PM

This is the first car I've owned that you can't just push, you have to turn at the same time.  Is the piston threaded or something??   8.gif

I had a 2003 JCW and tracked / Autocrossed it, I bought a cheap socket for a ratchet wrench and just pushed the piston in while turning it.  It was a PITA, I recently did a brake job on my sons girlfriends MINI for her (son was actually doing it but was stumped by the back brakes) and we used that same socket.

I have never encountered that on any other car, now sure why it was designed that way.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

MPlayle

It has to do with the self-adjusting of the hand-brake.  The hand-brake sets the rears using the piston of the disk brake rather than a separate 'mini-drum' in the hub as some did.

Many cars have now gone over to using a similar arrangement for the hand-brake.

My VW Tiguan has an electronic hand-brake.  Supposedly it takes connecting to the car's computer to tell it to retract the rears for replacing the pads.  Not exactly a DIY job anymore.

sparetimetoys

Quote from: Jims5543 on May 18, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
Those brakes look

Yep brakes on a 737-300. It takes 2guys to lift it up on to the axel.  If they are cool you can do a brake job in about 20 minutes, but if they are hot plan on being there awhile.  I've gone out an hour after landing to swap one and you still get burned reaching inside to get to the nuts on the back side.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on May 19, 2014, 06:42:01 AM
It has to do with the self-adjusting of the hand-brake.  The hand-brake sets the rears using the piston of the disk brake rather than a separate 'mini-drum' in the hub as some did.

Many cars have now gone over to using a similar arrangement for the hand-brake.

My VW Tiguan has an electronic hand-brake.  Supposedly it takes connecting to the car's computer to tell it to retract the rears for replacing the pads.  Not exactly a DIY job anymore.

Another reason for me to hate modern cars.  Well my next question is, any chance I damaged the pistons using brute force to compress them?

94touring

Quote from: sparetimetoys on May 19, 2014, 06:57:31 AM
Quote from: Jims5543 on May 18, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
Those brakes look

Yep brakes on a 737-300. It takes 2guys to lift it up on to the axel.  If they are cool you can do a brake job in about 20 minutes, but if they are hot plan on being there awhile.  I've gone out an hour after landing to swap one and you still get burned reaching inside to get to the nuts on the back side.

If I'm not mistaken on our btms sensors each number represents 35°c.  We commonly land and get 4s or 5s.  Sometimes 7s if you really get on them. 

MPlayle

Quote from: 94touring on May 19, 2014, 07:19:24 AM
Another reason for me to hate modern cars.  Well my next question is, any chance I damaged the pistons using brute force to compress them?

I don't know.  When I did the rears on my 2002 MCS, I had been informed in advance about needing to turn while compressing.  I "rented" the proper tool set from a local parts store (Advance Auto parts or Autozone) and did the job easy-peasy.

Mudhen

Quote from: MPlayle on May 19, 2014, 07:41:35 AM
Quote from: 94touring on May 19, 2014, 07:19:24 AM

I don't know.  When I did the rears on my 2002 MCS, I had been informed in advance about needing to turn while compressing.  I "rented" the proper tool set from a local parts store (Advance Auto parts or Autozone) and did the job easy-peasy.

Apparently you did know!  But if you don't know what you don't know how would you know?

If I wasn't a 150lb weakling I would have brute forced mine as well - thankfully I couldn't get them to budge at all so did some googling...

Live and learn.  (then forget and live and learn the next time, too)

MtyMous

A few of the things currently outside of my window at work.

MtyMous

Oh. And my job pretty much kicks ass sometimes.

94touring

Jims5543

That is indeed cool. Love that stuff!!

This was my office this morning.  Had to do a final survey on a customers home, this is the view from his backyard.

Jims5543

Quote from: MtyMous on May 19, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

The top picture is a Benchmark, I just tried to find the data on it and cannot... so far, I am not an expert on Oklahoma benchmarks.

Also, why is there a ship propeller in Oklahoma?  Are you not landlocked?

94touring

The port of Catoosa is outside of Tulsa.  I look down at it flying in still baffled.   

Here at work we have contest. ..

MtyMous

Quote from: Jims5543 on May 19, 2014, 01:01:30 PM
Quote from: MtyMous on May 19, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

The top picture is a Benchmark, I just tried to find the data on it and cannot... so far, I am not an expert on Oklahoma benchmarks.

Also, why is there a ship propeller in Oklahoma?  Are you not landlocked?

The propeller, I was told, is from an HVAC Chiller for the office. seems fishy to me. It's massive and hardly seems like it fits. but i have other things to question.

The benchmark may or may not be publicly searchable. I'm active duty Air Force, and this is just off the flight line. It may or may not be public information.

Jims5543

That concrete pad under it probably goes down 20+ feet into the ground and there is probably a piling under that going further.

USGS does not mess around.

You may be right, it has been a long time since I worked on Military Installations, I worked in Patrick AFB, Canaveral AFB, and KSC quite but back in the 90's. since going out on my own I never work on projects like that anymore.

I used to have a contact at a company or division called Power Squadron that would fax me benchmark data back in the days before the Internets.

I did a little searching on that marker and came up empty, now my computer is running slow and there is a helicopter following me.

Jims5543

This is what I found on the NOAA NGS website.

|Dist|PID...|H V|Vert_Source|Latitude.....|Longitude.....|Stab|C|Designation

|----|------|- -|-----------|-------------|--------------|----|-|-----------

|....|FJ0989|1 .|29/SCALED..|N352505.92082|W0972300.74591|....|G|TINKER

|....|FJ0998|4 .|...........|N352534.11218|W0972315.18715|....|G|TINKER AFB CONTROL TOWER

|....|FJ0999|4 .|...........|N352655.67651|W0972418.04211|....|S|TINKER AFB RACON ANTENNA

|....|FJ0991|4 .|...........|N352501.90003|W0972245.98848|....|X|TINKER AFB RADAR ANTENNA

|....|FJ0993|4 .|...........|N352603.47333|W0972338.93336|....|G|TINKER AFB S TANK OF TWO

MtyMous

Quote from: Jims5543 on May 19, 2014, 06:24:01 PM
This is what I found on the NOAA NGS website.

|Dist|PID...|H V|Vert_Source|Latitude.....|Longitude.....|Stab|C|Designation

|----|------|- -|-----------|-------------|--------------|----|-|-----------

|....|FJ0989|1 .|29/SCALED..|N352505.92082|W0972300.74591|....|G|TINKER
This is just north of a very active taxiway on a very active runway. Not sure what's here.

|....|FJ0998|4 .|...........|N352534.11218|W0972315.18715|....|G|TINKER AFB CONTROL TOWER
Still exists. The old control tower is no longer in service. It's reserved for base ops. I'm sure the benchmark still exists, though.

|....|FJ0999|4 .|...........|N352655.67651|W0972418.04211|....|S|TINKER AFB RACON ANTENNA
No longer part of the facility

|....|FJ0991|4 .|...........|N352501.90003|W0972245.98848|....|X|TINKER AFB RADAR ANTENNA
I can't disclose what's in this building

|....|FJ0993|4 .|...........|N352603.47333|W0972338.93336|....|G|TINKER AFB S TANK OF TWO
This is one of our water towers

Unfortunately, none of these are my benchmark. muahahaha

Jims5543

I took the boat out yesterday afternoon. I played hooky from work.

I had to break in my new engines, lots of low RPM and varying RPM boring driving.  Now I park it until next week no way I am going out this weekend. It is bedlam!!

My new twins, 787cc engines making 110HP each, jet drive. This 18' boat flies!!

Another hour of more exciting driving is next, I got the 2 hours of slower crap out of the way.