A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Wow. That is so cool.  I would really like to see the northern lights some time. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

There's a Mini rally going to Alaska next summer..... 62.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Tim

What info do you have on the Mini rally going to Alaska?

94touring

cstudep

It's an extremely long drive from this area, made that trip one time many years ago.

Have family friends up there that come back here every "winter" for a few months, and according to them getting through the Canada section these days is either a real nightmare of a hassle, or completely impossible depending on the day. They have been trying to come up with a plan to get back here this year, and nearly didn't make it last year because of the restrictions then in Canada. Perhaps it's gotten better recently, I have not heard how their planning has gone lately.

That means taking the ferry, which is pretty expensive I guess and has it's own issues to deal with. Supposed to be a beautiful boat ride though.

gr8kornholio

Only issue with a mini MINI rally to Alaska is from what I understand, based off some other car guys driving to Alaska videos is there is no premium gas. Pretty much in the state or north of the border.  2 guys in turbo Subarus had to turn back cause they couldn't find it anywhere.  Now maybe it's changed since that video but if not then I don't see them making it that far cause pretty much all of them run on premium.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I was just in Anchorage, didn't think to look at the gas selections. 

cstudep

I suppose as long as they had jet fuel you were good to go LOL

94touring

I phoned an ex lady friend who lives outside of Anchorage.  Her answer was she doesn't know lol. But she sent this showing Anchorage as the only place with 93.

MiniDave

Quote from: Tim on September 13, 2021, 10:46:58 AM
What info do you have on the Mini rally going to Alaska?

I'll get the link and post it up

OK, not a Mini rally per se but Minis are going..... https://www.alcan5000.com/

Entry list.....

https://alcan5000.com/2022entry.htm

I guess you could always take some octane improver along with you?

I asked someone who lives up there in western Canada about the premium gas thing - waiting to hear back.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on September 13, 2021, 10:51:55 AM
That's a pretty long drive I'd imagine?

5000 miles, plus the mileage to get to the starting point and back, so probably about 10K for me!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on September 13, 2021, 01:30:33 PM
I phoned an ex lady friend who lives outside of Anchorage.  Her answer was she doesn't know lol. But she sent this showing Anchorage as the only place with 93.

Is she an ex-lady, or an ex-friend?   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on September 13, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: 94touring on September 13, 2021, 01:30:33 PM

Is she an ex-lady, or an ex-friend?   ;D

Woman!  We dated on and off for a few years.

94touring

Google says Alaska only does 90 octane.  Provided you aren't boosting the crap out of the car or running high compression or high timing that would suffice.

MiniDave

Rick Higgs is taking his Clubman Estate, and Jack Holdaway (7 Enterprises owner) is taking a Mini sedan, but the Alcan rallye is full, the only way to go now is to get on the wait list and as they get closer they will have some drop outs - depending on how many are on the wait list already, you may not get an entry.

Rick says there is another Mini owner on the wait list now too. I think it would be a fantastic adventure but one hell of a long drive....maybe more suited to a more modern car? My Allroad would be perfect for this, but it would be more fun in a classic in many ways.

I figure a weeks worth of 500 miles a day driving to get to the start point, then 10 more days of 500 miles a day during the rallye, then 5 more to get home again.....that's a LOT of driving - especially in a Mini.

Last year Rick's drop gears broke, he was fortunate that one of the other teams had a jeep with a trailer that they needed to get back to the start point, so they loaded Rick's broken car on that and Rick drove it home, dropped off his car and took the Jeep and trailer to where they had requested (the port, I think - to catch the ferry) at any rate, had he had to have it towed, even with insurance it would have cost a few thousand $$$!

A group of classic Mini owners in Denver is planning to drive to Vancouver for the Mini Meet West - IF they get to hold it - it's been put off three years now already. This group was going to go north from Denver and hit Yellowstone, then up thru the mountains all the way to Prince Rupert. Then they would catch the inland ferry back to Vancouver, from the port it's another day's drive to the event hotel. Hell of a trip , especially the part going to Prince Rupert.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I saw this in the Ikea parking lot.  I had two immediate thoughts:
1 - Why?
2 - They can't be buying much at Ikea if that is what the brought!

Brit_in_TX

And I give up on trying to get the photo the right way up!  On my computer it opens correctly, but have messing around with it for 10 minutes cannot get it right. 

cstudep

I have seen 2 of those in the last few months, one in KC a couple weeks ago and another on the interstate around here. Must be some new trend or something.

94touring

"Reduce photo size" app, open pic, note the orientation, rotate accordingly and save. 

tsumini

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on September 14, 2021, 12:38:53 PM
I saw this in the Ikea parking lot.  I had two immediate thoughts:
1 - Why?
2 - They can't be buying much at Ikea if that is what the brought!
I left clicked on the photo and it rotated to proper orientation on click.

BruceK

Looks like the one I saw in Wimberley a couple of weeks ago.

To answer your question I have no idea why.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on September 14, 2021, 07:12:57 AM
Rick Higgs is taking his Clubman Estate, and Jack Holdaway (7 Enterprises owner) is taking a Mini sedan, but the Alcan rallye is full, the only way to go now is to get on the wait list and as they get closer they will have some drop outs - depending on how many are on the wait list already, you may not get an entry.

Rick says there is another Mini owner on the wait list now too. I think it would be a fantastic adventure but one hell of a long drive....maybe more suited to a more modern car? My Allroad would be perfect for this, but it would be more fun in a classic in many ways.

I figure a weeks worth of 500 miles a day driving to get to the start point, then 10 more days of 500 miles a day during the rallye, then 5 more to get home again.....that's a LOT of driving - especially in a Mini.

Last year Rick's drop gears broke, he was fortunate that one of the other teams had a jeep with a trailer that they needed to get back to the start point, so they loaded Rick's broken car on that and Rick drove it home, dropped off his car and took the Jeep and trailer to where they had requested (the port, I think - to catch the ferry) at any rate, had he had to have it towed, even with insurance it would have cost a few thousand $$$!

A group of classic Mini owners in Denver is planning to drive to Vancouver for the Mini Meet West - IF they get to hold it - it's been put off three years now already. This group was going to go north from Denver and hit Yellowstone, then up thru the mountains all the way to Prince Rupert. Then they would catch the inland ferry back to Vancouver, from the port it's another day's drive to the event hotel. Hell of a trip , especially the part going to Prince Rupert.....
Several years ago my wife and i decided to rent a house in Ketchikan for a month in July. We drove from Frisco TX and made our way up to the AlCan highway up to Prince George BC made a left and followed the Fraser river to Prince Rupert. Took the Alaska Ferry to Ketchikan and spent a very enjoyable month in the basement of a waterfront house south of KTN fishing and loafing. Return was pretty much reverse with a stop at Yellowstone. I recalled the Canadian border guards asking me three times if I had a gun which I answered 'No". He just couldn't imagine a Texan that didn't have a gun. One of my more memorable road trip.
Alaska Ferry is pretty expensive for vehicles. My wife had originally made reservations for my Dodge ram 2500 but I bought a new Megacab Ram which was a few inches longer. We had to amend the reservations for the longer vehicle and higher price which is based on length.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: 94touring on September 14, 2021, 01:08:09 PM
"Reduce photo size" app, open pic, note the orientation, rotate accordingly and save.

I was using my computer (Windows 10) and it shows correctly when I open it and in the thumbnails.  I tried rotating it to adjust it and it still come through the same way, so I got frustrated and walked away!

Willie_B

I find if I am taking the photo and posting it from my phone I have to turn the phone sideways. It always post correct that way.

BruceK

WHAT A COMPLETE FRICKEN IDIOT!

I spotted this Jeep on a trailer in Kentucky last week.  The driver of the tow vehicle applied ratchet straps to "secure" the Jeep to the trailer by attaching the straps to just the bottom half of the tires by tightening again the mud lug treads on the tires.  The excess strap was then tucked into a door jam (which probably supplied as much holding force as the ratchet straps on the tires themselves). 

Apparently, the idea of threading the straps through the wheels never occurred to him. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S