A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Quote from: 94touring on February 15, 2017, 07:44:36 PM
If everything goes well this week.  Unfortunately I have an ac line that cracked due to excessive rubbing against another line. Researching how to recharge r12.  Not really wanting to convert the system to 134.

we have used this with good results in 12 systems.
https://www.amazon.com/RED-TEK-R12a-Refrigerant-Recharge/dp/B00DJDYORU

94touring

Thanks Jeff.  I had seen that kit and wondered about it.  Still trying to figure out about pulling vacuum on the system and setting up pressure. All new territory for me. 

94touring

Oh fyi a 1200lb 998 mini will tow a 2500lb car up a sandy incline.

MiniDave

Where are all your helper-monkeys?

Does Justin have a vacuum pump at his place you can borrow? I guess you'd also need a set of gauges so you know what it's doing. Easier to find a sympathetic garage I'll bet......look on Craigslist, I see R-12 for sale on there all the time.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

jeff10049

these work fine if you have a good compressor and you do.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html
you don't have to have a gauge set for occasional jobs the low side gauge that comes with the red tek will get you by in 12 systems you can also use the sight glass. output temp is also a good indicator as soon as output air temp starts to go back up from coldest reading stop charging

jeff10049

i may have a spare manifold gauge set for free if you want it ill look and see may need a hose replaced due to belt rubbing it while charging a system years ago.

BruceK

A MX5 that used to be afraid of the dark?     Or one that thinks it's a pickup?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Quote from: BruceK on February 17, 2017, 05:56:10 PM
A MX5 that used to be afraid of the dark?     Or one that thinks it's a pickup?

Or one that gets flashed regularly because of the xenon headlights and wants a little revenge.  Had this problem with my 07.  I didn't flash them back though cause the brights were crazy bright and didn't feel like getting hit head on.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on February 18, 2017, 03:33:58 PM
Back on the road.

Nice!  Is there a special break-in needed for a rotary engine?  Or is it pretty much just like a regular engine?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

It was STRONG before, can't imagine how it runs now with more boost, a bigger turbo and meth!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

There are varying opinions to it.  Factory says something along the lines of 2.5 hours of running and 300 miles of easy driving. Some guys go overkill and put 2 thousand miles on it.  Other guys do zero break in. Myself personally let it idle an hour (probably two after it was said and done) checking for leaks and verifying everything works good.  Also readjusted my fuel pressure regulator and hooked up the laptop to adjust the maps and fine tune my idle mixture.  I drove it about 10 miles all pre boost verifying my cruise mixture was good still and parked it before heading back to work.  I'll change the oil when I get home and put 500 easy miles on it out of boost and under 4k rpms, change the oil to synthetic and then let her rip. I have a lot of tuning to do with the bigger turbo and fuel regulator adjustment.  I feel good about the build.  Some guys have a really hard time starting a rebuilt rotary, even having to pull it behind a truck to bump start it.  Mine fired up instantaneous and idles real smooth, even with a street port.  My vacuum gauge sits steady at idle with no fluctuations. Though my gauge is a couple inches lower than what I expect, even with the porting.  Of course it read the same pre rebuild and it's not fully broken in yet.  I'm actually going to test the gauge with a pressure tester to see how accurate it even is.  I've read how off they can be and it's something I really need dialed in for when I do my water meth injection and crank the boost from 15 to 20psi.  I'm anticipating going from the previous dyno of 405rwhp to 475rwhp, and potentially according to my math 495rwhp.  I'd like to see torque go from 315 to 350, and after I do the gear change 370 ft lbs.  Also will be toying with pre turbo injection.  One guy on a similar sized turbo did back to back dyno test with pre vs post turbo spraying about 700cc's and it raised his top end power 40+ rwhp, and torque as well.  It did create turbo lag and power loss down low.  After a ridiculously amount of research think 700cc's of pre turbo is too much.  At our power level of 500rwhp 650cc give or take of water/meth is the proper amount but you really don't need it all going through the turbo.  Turbo diesel guys and small turbo piston guys inject a small amount pre turbo (100cc) and get QUICKER spool and better low end and top end.  I want to dyno the same before and after and see what really happens.  If it creates lag I'll have a 2 stage progressive kit and only have it kick at 15psi and above to reap the top end benefit of increasing turbo effiiency.  If I don't see any added power I'll just ditch it. 

94touring

Also I love my gantry.  Made getting it in a relative breeze.

Merlin

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

94touring

On the subject of oils without clouding up the Susan mini thread... I mentioned I run royal purple in the rx7.  Some of you may or may not be aware but rotary engines have oil metering pumps to inject oil into each combustion chamber to lube the housings the apex seals ride against.  The downside to this is injection of dirty motor oil and running low on engine oil.  I like many others eliminated the OMP and premix 2 cycle oil in my gas.  In fact I added about 8 oz with the OMP installed since it's high performance and better for housing wear. With my pump removed I may run 1oz per gallon and may even try 2 oz like some people claim to do.  Of course I won't know the results till the next engine tear down.

94touring

Quote from: jeff10049 on February 16, 2017, 10:50:29 PM
these work fine if you have a good compressor and you do.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html
you don't have to have a gauge set for occasional jobs the low side gauge that comes with the red tek will get you by in 12 systems you can also use the sight glass. output temp is also a good indicator as soon as output air temp starts to go back up from coldest reading stop charging

Ordered.  I ended up buying real r12 on the black market lol.  Next will be seeing if my braze job holds up.

Jims5543

AC Gauges - Do not buy HF crap they are so bad they are not even worth it for the once a blue moon use. Get on Amazon and just invest in a decent set of gauges, should run you about $100. I can find the ones I purchased my friend that owns an AC company approved of them and said they were good for the casual user.

Try these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039KPPZS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yellow Jacket 42004 Series 41 Manifold with 3-1/8" Gauge, psi, R-22/404A/410A

Since you are staying R12 you may have to get adapters.

Engine oil for a rotary - you are wasting your money on Royal Purple buy good dino oil, I used to use Castrol GTX 20W50 in the summer and 10W40 in the winter. Change every 1000 miles and give it a sniff when you do, it will reek of gasoline. That is why I change it every 1K miles, on Turbo engines gas leaches by the seals and gets in the oil, there is no stopping it.  There is no sense in wasting money on big $$ synthetic, if you want to do anything special buy Lucas oil treatment, it helps coat things and make them happy. The gas impregnating into the oil was always a problem for me so I changed my oil frequently.

I have that HF Vacuum pump and it works OK it is really noisy.  My old mechanic used to have an old refrigerator pump that he used to pull vacuum.  Something to consider if you think you will be messing with AC a lot.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I bought some r12 specific hoses/adaptors but did get the hf vacuum job.

Jims5543

Testing 123  if this works in about 10 days I will have some cool pics for you cats.

SAM_100_0021 by Jims5543, on Flickr

Best I can get, you have to click on photo, I was hoping the effect would embed.

Now I need to work on you tube uploads you need an ap to upload the 360 vids to make them function.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

When I clicked on the photo it came up and started to run the 360 view, very slowly though.

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on February 22, 2017, 04:23:25 PM
Who's that guy with the grey beard?  ;D

There is a mother joke here somewhere.  ;D

Wife loves the beard, I am indifferent, its getting me laid so that's all that matters. 

Quote from: Willie_B on February 22, 2017, 04:48:24 PM
When I clicked on the photo it came up and started to run the 360 view, very slowly though.

If on a PC (Have not tried on phone) click on pic then once it loads left click your mouse on the picture itself and you can scroll it around and look where you want up down side to side.

Gonna take some more and some video over the next few days and upload them for practice. Hopefully I have decent internet in Island Park next weekend and can share some cool stuff.