Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Tim

I once sold two mini's to a guy in Ohio who was  going to put them on the rail like that.  This could be one of them.

MiniGene

From somewhere in Southwest Asia:

A bit closer:

Here's a reserved parking spot for me and my team:

I'm going to give Civil Engineering the benefit of the doubt and assume that they farm the sign making out to a contractor....probably a local.

BruceK

Stopped for some gas on the way to a very early Cars & Coffee this past Saturday morning.   Got to get there plenty early (like 6:15am) to get in, and this time of it year is still quite dark at that time of the morning.   It was also pretty cold (for Texas) with a temperature around 40 degrees. 

(I'm beginning to think that meaning of "C&C" has changed - seems like now it means Camaros and Challengers, with all of them being nearly brand new and just as boring as looking over the rows of inventory at a local Chevy or Chrysler dealer.  It's disappointing.)

A couple of local classic Mini owners joined me there.  One of them, G8kornholio, recently signed up on this site and I'm sure will uncloak soon.  That's his maroon Mk. I from Australia.  The blue Mini belongs to another guy who I have also invited to join us here.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You should try to get them to join us on our upcoming Texas trip!

Great to see Emma with her eyes open!   ;D

Our local C&C is infested with late model Mustangs, but we still get a decent turnout of other stuff, I think the next one is this Saturday, if so I'll get a few pics to share.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 06, 2017, 03:29:01 PM
You should try to get them to join us on our upcoming Texas trip!
I have mentioned it to them. 

Great to see Emma with her eyes open!   ;D
Actually, she's still sleepy in the photo - that's just the in-the-headlight parking lights on there.  She looks much more awake when I fire up the halogens.

Our local C&C is infested with late model Mustangs, but we still get a decent turnout of other stuff, I think the next one is this Saturday, if so I'll get a few pics to share.

The high point at our C&C was the sudden appearance of a Toyota 2000GT.   Crowds, tired of looking at dozens of crappy late model Mustangs, gathered around the rare car.  Oooohs and Ahhhhhs followed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

As they should!  A 2000GT on the street is a rare sight indeed! I've never seen a red one before, only white.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gasmini

Quote from: BruceK on February 06, 2017, 03:26:03 PM
That's his maroon Mk. I from Australia. 
The maroon one looks like the one that my friend from Wichita Kansas sold last year.

MiniDave

Our C&C starts at a much more reasonable 8 am, with free coffee and donuts!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 07, 2017, 11:20:57 AM
Our C&C starts at a much more reasonable 8 am, with free coffee and donuts!  ;D
That sounds wonderful.   Great starting time and freebies too!  (our C&C is a charity event - no charge to show your car, but they do sell coffee/hot chocolate as a donation for charities)

The problem here appears to be the large population of the DFW metropolitan area (about 7 million people) combined with a lot of limited size of about 500(?) cars (the BMW dealer kindly moves all their inventory to open up space for C&C) -- too many cars.   The lot was filling up quickly so people started showing up earlier and earlier to ensure they got a space.  Finally, the BMW dealer decided not to open the gates until 6:30am to try to stop that race to earlier times each month.  But.... that means long lines of cars start forming on the street at each entrance to the dealer at least an hour before that at 5:30am.  Crazy.

As I mentioned above, the thing that is ruining our C&C is the mass appearance of the straight-out-the-dealer-door late model cars - Mustangs, Vettes, Challengers, Camaros, etc.     

IMO the gatekeepers need to figure out a way to stop that.  Perhaps imposing a rule that nothing newer than 15 years old can be shown unless it is a limited production supercar?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Same problem they started having at the California C&C, so much so that coupled with the show-offs doing burnouts out of the lot they finally killed it.

Too bad too, in it's original iteration it was a fantastic show.....a chance to see cars you may never see otherwise, and even hear them run and see them drive in or away.

Ours is threatening to go this way, like I said it's fairly infested with newer Mustangs now, and the Camaro and Dodge Challenger crews can't be far behind.

The other thing I do like about our show besides the free donuts and coffee is that it's about 3 miles from my house!   ;D

Like Yogi said, nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I spotted this Pininfarina badge the other day.   But it wasn't affixed to a Ferrari.   Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what it was on?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

They have done body styling for several other car makers.  Alpha Romeo and Fiat come to mind right off.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on February 09, 2017, 05:54:51 PM
They have done body styling for several other car makers.  Alpha Romeo and Fiat come to mind right off.
Yes.   But apparently they have ventured to design non-automotive things too. 

I spotted this Pininfarina labled Coke machine at my company's cafeteria. 

The Ferrari of soft drink dispensing?    Ironic, it is painted gray --  since both Coke machines and Ferraris are traditionally "rosso corsa". 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Bruce  - That reminds me of Porsche design.. well almost everything. I see the Porsche name on a lot of stuff it seems.

Mike and I took our CCW class last night for the second time in 7 years. LOL, never bother after the first time now I feel it is prudent to have the ability to carry especially in cities. Moving on....

First thing they had you do after signing in was go into the indoor range and snap off 2 shots with an instructor.

Mike, this older Spanish lady and I were sent in together.

Mike and I let the lady go first, it was her first time shooting so the instructor spent a lot of time coaching her,  she took her 2 shots one was way off center the other one pretty close to the bulls eye. I gave her a thumbs up when she was done. She did a good job.

Mike went and because he is used to handling his 38 special wrist breaker he pushed down on both his shots.

Then I went, I surprised myself. Almost hit the bulls eye both shots and both shots were almost on top of one another.

They give you your target to keep after you shoot. I folded mine up and walked out, the Spanish lady was feeling cocky and asked Mike how he did, Mike showed her then she asked me I said I did good but did not unfold my target. She then taunts me with her husband and friends looking on an laughing,"Oh, you embarrassed?"... I hand her my target and watch her face. Not so funny anymore.  LOL!! She should not have pushed it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Saw this on the side of a truck the other day, actually laughed out loud at it.

I am updating a Hotel Survey from 2006, so much has changed I have spent a lot of time there. They have a Tiki Bar Place that looks like a cool place to hang out and grab some beers. It is on my to do list.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on February 06, 2017, 04:26:06 PM

The high point at our C&C was the sudden appearance of a Toyota 2000GT.   Crowds, tired of looking at dozens of crappy late model Mustangs, gathered around the rare car.  Oooohs and Ahhhhhs followed.

There was one for sale at Mecum in January, I could not walk around it and stare at it enough, this is what I have on photobucket, I think I took about 10 pics of it.  How did Toyota go from that to a Camry?

BruceK

Wonder if that is the same one I saw at C&C a couple of weeks ago?    There can't be that many red 2000GTs out there.  In fact, I'd never seen one until a couple of weeks ago

Edit. Nope, different car.  Unless somebody did a quick RHD to LHD conversion earlier this month! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

'bout says it all.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

MiniDave

I'll bet you're excited to get it fired up - how long before it's on the road again?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If everything goes well this week.  Unfortunately I have an ac line that cracked due to excessive rubbing against another line. Researching how to recharge r12.  Not really wanting to convert the system to 134.

gr8kornholio

Quote from: gasmini on February 07, 2017, 10:46:47 AM
Quote from: BruceK on February 06, 2017, 03:26:03 PM
That's his maroon Mk. I from Australia. 
The maroon one looks like the one that my friend from Wichita Kansas sold last year.

Yes, that is his car.  Bought it back in August.  Been having a blast in it.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.