A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I don't own a smart phone either, neither does Hyacinth.  I can't see the point and certainly cannot understand the expense. 

In a former life I was a tactical intelligence officer, Army, specialized in 'the enemy' tactics and strategy, mostly special forces and rear-area ops, so I also think like you when assessing risks and potential targets. 

But I suspect that my 'sick' mind is just a tad beyond yours. 

I freaked my former co-workers out one day when we were discussing how to move prisoners.  Keep in mind that I was working in an eyeglass shop at the time, so these colleagues weren't exactly cut from the same cloth I am.  They were discussing the use of chains and shackles, old-school hardware.  I don't know how the topic arose, but I gave my 2 cents and suggested that handcuffs, chains and shackles is too expensive to use on every prisoner, so all you need do is the first and last prisoner in the line-up.  Every prisoner gets a small plastic-coated cable with loops on each end, like a fishing leader inserted up the nose and pulled through the mouth, and these get connected via a cable-tie to a similar though slightly thicker cable to link them all together.  I think it'd be pretty darned difficult for a baddy to get away.   77.gif

I don't know how that conversation arose, but they never broached the subject again.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I recently joined the ranks of smarter phone users, my wife bought me one for Xmas to replace my ancient (5 years!) old cheapy phone, and when all the smoke cleared and rubble subsided, by joining our plans and losing the land line we actually cut our phone bill by about $40/mo to around $65/mo. I still think it's a shit pot load of money for phone service but she likes hers, so.......whadya gonna do? Happy wife, happy life as they say......

But like a couple others here, I do not use it for anything sensitive - all that's in there are phone numbers and such and it's not linked or sync'd to my computer, if any of my contacts turn out to be terrorists....well they had a damn good cover!  ;D

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  Doesn't help I'm on the road half the month so I basically live off my phone.  From entertainment to paying bills.   I'd go insane without it.  I'd rather pay from my phone than a hotel computer any day.  Today I paid all next month's bills and ordered a few odds and ends for a car in the shop.  While I'm going through the lending process for the shop I do it all from my phone.  This includes using a scanner app to send documents in that need filled out.  The convenience is amazing if you really think about it.  I don't pay for cable or internet, and a big reason for that is simply my phone covers it all. 

To add further, I didn't even put a stereo in the mini.  I run an aux cable from my phone through an amp to play music.  My shop stereo is run off my phone.  Commuting to work I listen to music from my phone.  I'm big on music.

Jims5543

I consider myself to be a heavy user too, I use my email and text messaging all day to keep in touch with clients, my employees, and manage my business. Before a smart phone I had a "little less" smart phone a Cingular 8125, it would text message and handle email as long as I had a wifi nearby. So in hotels, near mcdonalds or Starbucks I could email.

I have always hated apple, but purchased an early Iphone I think a 3.  It liked that I could email and use the internet with it.  Shortly thereafter I moved to a Samsung S3 and never looked back, I now have a S5 Active and have no plans to ever get rid of it.

Dan, I used to have my CC apps and banking apps on my phone, I since deleted them since I prefer to just do that on my computer, but understand your situation.

Here is the burning question, does anyone in this thread really feel it would be horrible if the FBI looked in your phone. Putting aside right to privacy. Would it ruin you?

I would laugh and hand it over, they would die of boredom. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I'm not an apple fan either.

All they'd find on my phone is pics of airplanes, minis, and hot chicks.

MPlayle

They would just find a small contacts list: family, a few friends, doctors' offices and a few work related.

Jims5543

Does anyone know if you erase a picture, like, lets say a dickture for example, is it really gone or can the FBI find it in your phones memory somewhere. A friend of mine was asking.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

LilDrunkenSmurf

Depends. If it wasn't backed up via any cloud sharing service, then it's like a normal file on a normal hard drive. Until those exact bytes get overwritten, it could potentially be recovered, but if the data's been overwritten by something else, it's gone.

94touring

Depends on the girth of the file and how it's rubbed off afterwards.  Science.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

I'm fortunate enough(?) to work in IT so my work pays for my smartphone.  My first was an 8525 & had a data plan so could get email anywhere.  My boss is an Android guy but when my region decided to standardize on a smartphone platform I pitched the iPhone because only one outfit makes them. There are so many different Androids out there that from an administrative standpoint it's much easier to support one platform that is pretty much the same from one phone model to the next.  And overall I feel an iPhone is a much simpler device to use in its standard form.

I'm on my trusty three year old iPhone 5s.  Despite being a company phone I take care of it so it's still in good shape & has decent battery life.  I'm mindful of my data usage so I use it for both business & personal use.  I browse the web, email, text, take pictures and RDP & VPN from it.  I have a Google number linked to it which I give out for personal use so I don't have to worry about my number changing if I left the company.  I could upgrade to a 6 but despite a larger screen being nice for RDP I don't want to carry around a larger phone so I hang onto my 5.  I suspect battery life will force my hand to upgrade at some point.  But by then my vision will probably be glad for a larger screen.

And to the FBI privacy question; I don't do anything illegal so I don't have anything to hide.  I would even have no problem if my work was to look at my personal info on my phone as I have nothing to hide.  I understand it's a company phone which belongs to them therefore I keep anything I don't want them to know off the phone!

MiniDave

Quote from: Jims5543 on February 19, 2016, 01:28:27 PM
Does anyone know if you erase a picture, like, lets say a dickture for example, is it really gone or can the FBI find it in your phones memory somewhere. A friend of mine was asking.

I think it's possible to eliminate it completely, but you really have to try and who knows where else it could have been sent - bottom line, don't do it.

I have a friend who's stepson sent pics of his junk to a 14 y/o student of his - that not only cost him his job but a LOT of money to stay out of jail.......

Nobody wants to see that anyway....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

"A friend was asking" LOL

But as the saying goes there is probably an app for that. I haven't looked but there is probably a secure delete app that deletes a file then overwrites the space with garbage.  There are such programs for Windows computers and I suspect smartphones as well.

gasmini

MiniDave

Hey Galen, you got the P'up back together again?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Awesome pic!!

I did not see a truck as big as yours but ended up next to a compensator at lunch the other day.

Got out of work early Friday, took the wife and kid out for a after school snack and coffee, parked next to this cool VW.

Job site last week:

We took a walk in a historic battle ground where a war was fought with the Seminole Indians.

Saw a tree:

Looked at branches:

Wife picked some wild citrus growing:

Wife kid and I went bike riding Saturday.

Wife drove over water:

Loving these shop lights they have inspired me to fix up the once dark and depressing garage and make it a happy place.

94touring

Probably hard to see but that's Niagara Falls down there a few miles.

Jims5543

That is a cool perspective of the falls. Looks like a river with some whitewater from that high up.

gasmini

Quote from: MiniDave on February 28, 2016, 01:08:59 PM
Hey Galen, you got the P'up back together again?
Yes Dave it''s going again. 71.gif I just need to change out the temp gage before the weather gets too hot.

gasmini

Quote from: Jims5543 on February 28, 2016, 08:55:00 PM
Awesome pic!!

I did not see a truck as big as yours but ended up next to a compensator at lunch the other day.

At least that truck is street legal. I have some other pics from that day if I can get them to load right.

Jims5543

That white truck is actually illegal but the laws it breaks are not enforced nor popular to enforce. The bumper has to be dropped back to stock height when a truck is lifted for obvious reasons as you can see in that pic. He would literally kill me if he rear ended me. Hence why I watch my rear view like a hawk all the time and get irritated when a truck like that tailgates me.

gasmini

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gasmini

Quote from: MiniDave on February 29, 2016, 05:00:12 PM
New wheels and tires too?
No same wheels  and tires since you seen it almost three years ago.