Fender/wing install pics

Started by Mudhen, May 29, 2013, 02:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Anyone have any pics of lining up fenders/wings during install?

I'm having issues...lol.  I have 3 things that are probably out of the ordinary:

1.  hood isn't necessarily straight (isn't quite as bad as the pic makes it look):

2.  right hand side was damaged so I had to cut off the hood channel with the old wing:

3.  replacement wing for damaged side is [I believe] from a mk1 car (I think mine is a mk5).  Is there enough of a difference that I shouldn't even be bothering with it?  Probably should have asked that question about 20 hours ago... ::)

One weird thing is that the fender/hood gap appears to grow towards the middle of the hood?  I look at my '65 and it's really straight, about 1/8" down both sides (which I never noticed before but I'm now wicked impressed by).  If I squeeze and press and pray I can get this one to almost 1/4" - good enough?  Good enough for Mudhen's car?   ;D

It really seems like the scuttle corner is what is holding the wing out too much - seems like if I could just unbend that corner a little bit it would be all set...

I can get it a little bit closer than these pics:

The underside lines up pretty well when I hold the panel up a little.

Tips?  A new hood and new right wing?   :-[

Thanks

94touring

I'm getting ready to post pics in the tahiti blue thread showing a front end install.  I'll have a better writeup over the next few days as I want to have something good for people to go by.  The tricky part is getting the wings to work with the scuttle corners.  Sometimes you have to use a hammer and make it work.  Takes brute force and something to hold the wing in place sometimes to keep your gaps good with the hood.  I have a new inner wing with your name on it also to fix that gutter problem ;)  And a hood.

Mudhen

lol...ya, right...I really need all 3 pieces to make it work.   :-[

I'm not buying Divisio's old panels, either...I want new stuff!

Those scuttle corners are aca-awkward - seems like the scuttle comes out, the wing comes out, they meet at the bottom forcing a 1" gap at the top.  I've hammered the wing flange in quite a bit, I guess it really needs to come in more than 90deg, back on itself.

Guess I'll throw you a bone and give you $20 for the carbon fiber hood.   :D

Mudhen

One thing I meant to ask - is there anyway to center the hood?  ie, I've been trying to find the middle ground and then pushing the wings in to meet it, but not really sure if the hood is really centered at all.  I could be pushing everything off to one side and never know.

94touring

I just push the wings in as far as they go till the gap is minimal.  Eyeballing center basically. 

Mudhen

Just checked the store - $185 for a hood???  I've spent more on beer in a night...and unfortunately $100 more than that on my speeding ticket Thursday.   50.gif

No panels for me.  :-[

94touring

Yep.  Minimania charges $220, or $190 without the lip! 

94touring

On the otherhand you could buy it from minisport for $150, but then pay $200 in shipping  :-\

Mudhen

I need to look at mine I guess, the 'lip' is new to me.  I was thinking I could just take that chrome edge off and throw it in the trash, didn't know there would be something left.

Mudhen

After reading your instructions, I'm wondering about the scuttle closing panels.  When I put those in I really pushed them up inside the scuttle pretty hard without thinking of the consequences.  Maybe I pushed the scuttle out when I did it...  11.gif

94touring

It can move the end of the scuttle.  But, you can hammer it in if that's the case.  Since you have a hood with the lip, you can't really just take it off.  The hood will still protrude out and look kinda funny.  The chrome trim on either side of the grill and strip on the lip make it all work out and look good.  If you bought the early model hood with no lip it will sit flush with the wings, but is designed to use different chrome also.