General thouhghts on undercoating during resto

Started by thebluepotato, April 09, 2013, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebluepotato

So I have a '74 Mini that is now fully stripped down to rolling body shell and I am struggling whether or not to attend to the undercoating that was applied in it last paint job (say around 3 years ago).  There has been some floor boards replaced at one time as well as the passenger outer sills...but I am not sure if I should really strip down the under side and paint.  How have most of you handled this decision when getting into your restorations?    8.gif

Right now, it (underside) appears to be solid and just covered with under-seal.  I also know how under-seal can also crack and promote rust into those areas.

Here are some general pics - I know it is hard to see close up, but will give you some sense.  Last 3 pics taken earlier last year before I swapped out my exhaust.  But shows the forward part of the underside.

94touring

Yeah I'm not a fan of undercoat.  Looks horrible and hides a lot of rust usually.  Its a PITA to remove, so keep that in mind if you decide to remove it.  I used a needle scaler and scrapers to clean up the mexico blue underside, which looked identical to what you have.

thebluepotato

Quote from: 94touring on April 09, 2013, 09:05:35 AM
Yeah I'm not a fan of undercoat.  Looks horrible and hides a lot of rust usually.  Its a PITA to remove, so keep that in mind if you decide to remove it.  I used a needle scaler and scrapers to clean up the mexico blue underside, which looked identical to what you have.

Yeah - same as you.  Like now is the time to do it, right?  Is it possible to media blast this with the new dustless media systems or even other traditional media?

94touring

My small shop blaster wasn't strong enough, but maybe something more industrial. 

Nicholasupton

I have a dustless blaster and the undercoating seems to fly right off.

I use 3M™ No Cleanup Rocker Gard on the underside of the cars I paint. performs like undercoating but will not become brittle over time and is painted body color for a quality finish.

thebluepotato

Quote from: Nicholasupton on April 09, 2013, 03:12:03 PM
I have a dustless blaster and the undercoating seems to fly right off.

I use 3M™ No Cleanup Rocker Gard on the underside of the cars I paint. performs like undercoating but will not become brittle over time and is painted body color for a quality finish.

Nic - do you paint over the 3M RG or do you mix the color within the application?

biketesting

I have heard that using dry ice to cool the undercoat down and then blasting it off works well.  17.gif Not sure if it really works.  8.gif
Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)