85 tahiti blue (flur continued)

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

OK it's actually playing music now.  Got a couple Sony speakers for the rear.  The fronts were a tad too big for the holes, search continues there.

94touring

So I was finishing up all the wiring, and got the bracket that holds the stereo in the dash mounted.  As I slid the stereo in and it snapped into place the hot wire that keeps continuous power to the memory for the stereo, as well as the clock gauge had come loose.  It touched the top of the stereo and fried it.  Didn't blow the fuse, oh no, blew up the stereo instantly.  Sooo...yeaaahhh. 

94touring

Oh nearly forgot to mention.  I was messing with the air box and noticed that the flapper valve that operates over the exhaust shroud to let warm air in was stuck in the closed position, letting no cool air in.     

MtyMous

Sounds like this car is a bucket of fun.

94touring

To quote the big fat guy on monty python, better get a bucket.

wevebeenhad

just exchange the stereo for a new one. say it didnt work when plugging it in. they wont care. its sony.

94touring

jedduh01

Fuel Gauge Off trick -  Worked on a 94 that had the same issue. Never go to full - drop fast and think its empty - but only take 4.5- 5 gallons to fill up.

The fix - Bend the rod of the level sender.
  youll see a bend alreday in the wire /rod - it needs to be increased.  It honestly took me 2 tries to get it reading like i wanted it to but now i run my tank down to fillups regular at 7.2- 7.5 Us Gallons.  I now know - when its Close to the empty orange line - Better get gas!

Sounds like a typical full on rebuild- Touch anything- needs full repair.
Keep on trucking!

94touring

Good tip.  Lol yes everything has needed work.   Its been most impressive.   Makes me realize I enjoy the body and paint part more than all the extra curveballs.

94touring

Well stereo came in last night, so slid that sucker back in.  I got the speakers to fit the holes in the front too.  They are pretty dang slick.  I also replaced the windshield washer bottle motor and wired that up.  Need to get a bunch of the tubing since it runs from the rear to the front.  Fixed the lights on the main gauges that weren't working.  Got the vacuum actuated door on the intake lubed up and working properly.   Was going to paint flares this week but they took my shop lights somewhere and its about 40 degrees in the shop.  Still waiting on the other random parts I need anyways. 

MPlayle

When running the tube for the washer from the rear to front, be sure to run it: up the c-pillar, along the interior roof gutter, down the a-pillar and through the firewall.  If you run it under the car (or other low route), the washers will spurt whenever you slow the car suddenly (under braking).

Speaking from experience.   :-[

94touring

Ha.  Yeah I noticed it gravity feeds out of the pump when I was getting it working.

94touring

Flares and random parts painted.  Also built you a glove box.  Waiting on the other stuff still. 

Davisio

94touring

Yeah that o2 sensor and heater matrix parts. 

Mudhen

I could use a glove box for my '05 if you're making extras...guess they do make them like they used to!

Davisio

I suppose the flairs DO look pretty awesome.

Just starting to get frustrated.   20.gif

94touring

Yep I hear ya.  We're sitting and waiting.

Mud- your 05 didn't come with a glove box?

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on January 15, 2014, 06:44:18 AM
Yep I hear ya.  We're sitting and waiting.

Mud- your 05 didn't come with a glove box?

The cover latching mechanism broke apart...can't replace the door so need to buy a whole new box ($125).  Googling around seems like it's somewhat common (although mine may have been helped by having a rally computer mounted to it at some point  ::) ) - someone mentioned taking it out and just having the little shelf that's left so that's what I did - it almost looks stock...

94touring

Spent a little time tinkering with it.  Put the flares on.  Got an antenna which I strategically hid behind the dash.  While I was screwing on the flares I hit the harness in the rear that goes to the fuel pump.  Had to take the tank BACK out and fix the boo boo.  Ran some tubing to the wiper nozzles.  Was going to mount the hood but figured I shall wait till the 02 sensor as it will require me being hunched over the engine bay.  Screwed on your fancy burl shift knob. 

Davisio

Pictures or it didn't happen!

4.gif

;)

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on January 15, 2014, 03:58:33 PM
Spent a little time tinkering with it.  Put the flares on.  Got an antenna which I strategically hid behind the dash.  While I was screwing on the flares I hit the harness in the rear that goes to the fuel pump.  Had to take the tank BACK out and fix the boo boo.  Ran some tubing to the wiper nozzles.  Was going to mount the hood but figured I shall wait till the 02 sensor as it will require me being hunched over the engine bay.  Screwed on your fancy burl shift knob.

I've done 50 or so restorations and I generally just do the body work now...all the extra things just seem to take too much time and I let the owner take over for that stuff...

:-X

94touring

Ha, yeah mudhen, yeah.  I didn't mention that I painted two boot hinges for the same side.  So I had to paint a 3rd.  Course that only take 15 minutes of time really.  But still, when you go to mount the boot lid and it doesn't work, you have to cuss a little. 

94touring

Been doing some of the final touches.  Fit the boot lid and bonnet, dash secured, carpet recleaned....  The rubber on the boot lid was rather stiff and took some doing to get it to close at first.  Doing much better today.  Probably a dozen other small things I did today.  I want to get it out on the highway tomorrow or the next day after I do an alignment.