85 tahiti blue (flur continued)

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

You'll have to refresh my memory.  But these are wired to the normal switches (separate fuses and relays though).  Low beams turn on 4 of them, high beams all six.  Is it possible to get away with high beams having all six since presumably no one will see?

Davisio

I was really thinking separate switches for pairs. Toggles or something. Wired in to the low beams with kill switches would work. Meaning, could have them on when the headlights are on but be able to turn them off. I suppose that would work.

Ideally, I was thinking they'd be on a completely separate switch for each pair (2 switches). On/Off at any time. Like spots. But, then, I don't necessarily understand the intricacies of auto wiring.

94touring

Well I could put toggle switches somewhere for each set, or have it to where four come on for low beam with the factory switches, and then the two meant for high beams come on as the two low beams kick off when you hit the high beam switch.  This would give you four max at all times too.  Basically all I did was wire them up like later model sport packs have them. 

Davisio

Ya. I understand.

I will defer to your judgement on the particulars. Just so long as I really have to "try" to get all 6 going at the same time, it's all good. I just don't want to have them all going without a choice in the matter. Something intuitive to the switching will be fine. But, that being said, wiring such that 4 run with lo's (lo beams and 1 pair of "fogs") and 4 run with hi's (hi beams and the other pair) sounds pretty nifty.

94touring

I'll look into finding a plate to mount a toggle switch or two so the six are optional with high beams. 

MPlayle

When I had to add a couple of switches on the yellow 1961, I used a piece of 3"x3" angled aluminum ('L' brace type) and mounted it under the edge of the dash.  It was sturdier than the plastic ones you sometimes see and I could size it for the number/type of switches I was adding.

Don't have a detailed picture to link.

Willie_B

94touring

Don't give him any more ideas lol.  I'm already behind.

Davisio

That reminds me...... how's about my anti-theft device (aka: kill switch)?

I guess it's not a big deal. 4 speed will scare most off.

Willie_B

Quote from: Davisio on December 25, 2013, 06:00:39 PM
That reminds me...... how's about my anti-theft device (aka: kill switch)?

I guess it's not a big deal. 4 speed will scare most off.

The best idea I read on this is a switch inside the shifter boot that only you know where, that disables the elec. fuel pump. You cannot see it from inside the car and the car is too low to see anything under it. Of course that only helps if you have an elec. pump.

94touring

Got the new calipers on and brakes bled.  Re-wired the lights and have a toggle switch for the two spot lamp high beams.  Set the timing but having some issues with a low rpm hesitation.  After it gets past the stumble it blast off nicely.  Researching the problem there.  Found a slow drip coming from the heater matrix.  It was hitting the gas pedal so caught my attention.  That needs to come back out.  Started wiring up the gauges.  Need to put more gas in the tank to verify the gas gauge is working.  Reading ziltch with a couple gallons in right now.  Everything else is working though.  The adaptor for the oil temp gauge came in, but its the wrong size.  Such is life.  Tomorrow is another day of fixing problems as I find them   19.gif 

Twichel04

If it's the same sending unit that was in it before, it worked, but it was always off by a couple gallons. It always told me I was empty long before I actually was.

94touring

Yeah probably just don't have enough fuel in it.  Do you recall if the engine had a low rpm miss? 

Twichel04

The only time I had a low rpm problem was when the CPS was giving me issues. Other than that, nothing.

94touring

Hmm, I have a new crank sensor installed. 

Twichel04

I had an issue with the TPS also, but it would cause the car to miss at higher RPMs, not lower.

94touring

Would you just take the crank sensor out and clean it?

Twichel04

That is actually what I did with the old one, and it solved the stumble as well as my starting issues that I had. Sometimes when the motor was cold, it would take several tries to get it fired up, it was a very dirty CPS, lol

94touring

It fires right up actually.   8.gif

94touring

02 sensor maybe.  I have some things to try. 

94touring

Got the gauges wired up and working.  Kill switch in.  A few other odds and ends on.  The heater matrix required removal of the steering column to get it back out.  It has some kind of hair line fracture in the one inlet pipe where it meets the plastic, so looks as though I'll order a new matrix and an 02 sensor.  I did a bunch of test and troubleshot some things and the low rpm miss points that direction.  The gas tank gauge works, though reads about an 1/8 low at full and zero with a few gallons in.  The lights for the two main gauges don't appear to be working, so will trouble shoot that tomorrow.  Wiring for the heater fan and brake lights figured out.  I might tackle the stereo tomorrow.   

Davisio

I like gauges. Gauges are good.  4.gif

94touring

Now with music!  Well almost, I still have to get speakers.   Tried to get an o2 sensor locally with the part number but no dice.  I promise I'm going to finish this thing lol.

Davisio

Awesome!

And.... I know... one day I'll actually get to drive it.  17.gif