Mk1 Speedo restore

Started by Hercplt, June 08, 2012, 11:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercplt

There was a "how to" in the DIY about restoring a Mk1 Speedo.  I have an early Mk1 speedo, but I need to see how its done first.
Any help?
Rich
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

94touring

Oh nice, looks like I deleted those files purging stuff.  Let me see if I can recover them and get that back up. 

Hercplt

Thanks!  Cause its the only place on the net that actually shows how to do it!    :-[
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

94touring

I emailed Jeff to get the pics back.  I called the host to recover the files but the problem is I changed IP's last week and I can't recover the files prior to that.  Kinda hosed that up accidentily.  So hopefully he gets back to me and still has the pics!

Hercplt

Thanks... just let me know.  Perhaps this Jeff fellow would take the odd email question? 

94touring

Still haven't heard back, but his username is jeff10049 if you want to look him up and try too.  I scoured my computer for any traces of the photos and have searched high and low.  No luck yet. 

94touring

Hercplt

Wow thanks!  This has been an incredible help.  I've already got some answers by just looking at the pictures.  These speedo's from '59/'60 are so rare I want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Thanks again.  You've got a great Mini Forum here.
Rich

94touring

Thank you, and thanks for bringing the missing info to my attention.  Would have been awhile before I noticed.  Keep us posted on how it works out for you.  Take your own pics and share what you find. 

Mudhen

Wow, that looks awesome...bookmarking that for future reference - no way am I going to Google, 'speedo pics' again... :-\

MiniGene

Man, that speedo came out NICE!  I would be intimidated to try to restore one of those.  It looks like you'd have to know about taking apart a swiss watch.

MPlayle

If I decide to undertake a project I'm contemplating, I may have an early speedometer available.  Good condition and the speed part works smoothly - geared/calibrated for 3.76 final drive.  The odometer is stuck though.

I've got to basically finish the yellow Mini project first - complete the engine rebuild and do the break-in.  Then it may become the "donor" for the next project (or the financial basis).

Hercplt

The face on my Speedo is in ok shape... the patina is worth keeping so I'm not going to paint it... I do need a new chrome bezal and i'll restore the other metal parts and the inner works so it is useable. 
Should be interesting, I've never done it!   :o

jeff10049

Wow sorry I missed all this guys just got the email from Dan I don't check that email often. you already found my mini blog cool. I was going to redo a post on here with the pics I still will or Dan will fix the old one either way cool to have it on here too. I can answer any questions about the early speedo if you need help. There Is a way to set the spring tension so it will read correct when re assembled that I have not covered in any posts I will try to get that up along with another link that was helpful to me when i did mine.

Jeff

jeff10049

and thanks for the nice comments on my speedometer resto.

Jeff

jeff10049

Here is a link to a repairing speedometers by Anthony Rhodes that helped me when I did mine. Worth reading before starting.

http://home.comcast.net/~rhodes/speedo.pdf

Jeff

Hercplt

Thanks Jeff.  I had a quick look at it and it looks like a good manual... should be very helpful, much appreciated.
Should be fun!
Rich