Login issues anyone?

Started by 94touring, February 07, 2024, 07:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Seems to be an ongoing issue with this forum software.  The latest one is what MPlayle just showed me, where it shows the registration and privacy policy.  I updated those last night due to an influx of spam registrants so people will contact me directly to register.  Anyway....no idea why we have these issues as it's just something built into the software and beyond my control.  Seems like if you have issues, clicking the "HOME" button in many cases will log you in after you've made an attempt.  I for whatever reason never have issues. 

94touring

Sounds like eveyone has to agree to the new terms.  Basically if you're a guest reading this and want to sign up, email me, otherwise you'll be mass deleted with the dozen spam registrants I get daily. Tired of sorting through them and didn't want to delete a legitimate new person.  We get so few new members it's not usually an issue.

MPlayle

You are the "admin" - it knows not to f*** with you.  :grin:

Brit_in_TX

Not an access issue related to the above (so a little hijacking). 

I have an access issue that is confusing me.  I have multiple profiles on Google Chrome on my computer (Windows 11) to keep work, personal and various work projects separate. I cannot log into this site with some profiles, but I can with others.  I have deleted cookies etc across all the profiles and still the error persists. All but the personal profile are local and not attached to a google account. 

This has been bugging me for a few months, so thought I would share to see if anyone has any ideas.

MPlayle

Craig,

My first impression is a security setting in the profiles that don't work is restriction.  Perhaps the ones that do work have more lenient settings?

94touring

Yeah not sure, but I do know a lot of times if it won't log you in, or throws some kind of login error, simply clicking the home button right after the attempt it will magically log you in. 

Another ongoing issue which is half server related, because $$, is the site can be slow for some (most?) of you.  However my phone and laptop cookies are setup, it loads instantly for me. 

Willie_B

Not bad from my phone. Desktop is usually slower loading.

MiniDave

Yes I got that today too, but like Dan says, hitting the Home button and all works fine. It's been slow to load for me since the big meltdown, but it's no biggy......so it takes and extra 10 seconds - I remember the old days when loading a full page on the interwebz could take a minute or more!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Same for me as Dave said, it's a bit slow since the meltdown, but I really only notice it on the initial login page. I do have to hit the home button like you state once in a while but its just automatic at this point so I don't even notice much.

I also remember the dial up days, it wasn't all that long ago in these parts. The few seconds longer it takes definitely isn't a big deal for me.

Appreciate you keeping this place up and running, lots of invaluable info here!

ve9aa

Quote from: 94touring on February 07, 2024, 07:27:31 AMSounds like eveyone has to agree to the new terms.  Basically if you're a guest reading this and want to sign up, email me, otherwise you'll be mass deleted with the dozen spam registrants I get daily. Tired of sorting through them and didn't want to delete a legitimate new person.  We get so few new members it's not usually an issue.

I just emailed you but about 2 mins later the forum magically logged me in (3rd try).  I had tried the home button trick but didn't seem to be working.

Must be all the snow here. LOL!

Disregard for now Dan.

Thank you
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

Never got your email Mike, did you use the contact page on the forum or just your regular email?

94touring

Finally came through. A few hours later lol

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: 94touring on February 07, 2024, 09:01:54 AMYeah not sure, but I do know a lot of times if it won't log you in, or throws some kind of login error, simply clicking the home button right after the attempt it will magically log you in. 

Another ongoing issue which is half server related, because $$, is the site can be slow for some (most?) of you.  However my phone and laptop cookies are setup, it loads instantly for me. 

I have no idea, I mess around with it on and off.  Right now I am just confused and frustrated.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MPlayle on February 07, 2024, 08:48:03 AMCraig,

My first impression is a security setting in the profiles that don't work is restriction.  Perhaps the ones that do work have more lenient settings?

It is actually the opposite issue - the stricter ones allow it, the lenient one does not.  So confused.