Cooper S lives to fight another day!

Started by Coalhod, November 17, 2023, 08:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coalhod

Hello;  Many thanks for the advice here!  I checked manifold nuts and retorqued, installed new gaskets on the manifold/carburetors connection and reset ignition timing.  Started fine but still showed lean vacuum readings at idle and at higher rpm even though I undid all the carb linkages and checked mixture as well as carb synchronization.

This car has a Smiths PCV valve which apparently needs maintenance every once in a while and when I checked, it had some debris in it so gave it a good cleaning. Info on it can be found here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/cv103.htm.

Also checked carbs float needle valve height and cleaned float bowls with Berryman's Chemtool and blew out any debris found in the float bowls.  Changed from red springs to blue springs.  I now have constant idle at 13.5-14 AFR and it will wind to 6K no problem!  This is on a 25D diz with points!

Makes sense that the dirty PCV was causing problems, but just some TLC and it's all good.

MiniDave

Yay! sometimes we forget about the simple things.....well done getting it sorted!  :dance:
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad