Mini East Meets West 2024 Spearfish, South Dakota July 8-12 2024

Started by Whee, September 24, 2023, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

Hotel contract is signed, car show location picked, rally route driven, autocross logistics nearly complete, kids events being planned.

Registration will open in January 2024. Mark your calendars now for July 8-12 2024.

https://minimeeteast.regfox.com/mmew24

MiniDave

Excellent! I will see you all there!   :steeringwheel:

BTW, July 8th is my B'day!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Yes the SSL link with the HTTPS fails with:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.minimeeteastwest.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Error code: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

MiniDave

I have that problem with this site once in a while.....at any rate, it's early days - I'm sure Whee will get it sorted out well before the January open date.

I'm looking forward to this event - I did a Rushmore weekend with the 5280 club with my 2009 Clubman S when it was new, I'm ready to go back....we did the Devil's Tower run too and that was majorly cool! One of the most amazing thing I saw at DT were the pictures taken in the early 1900's of women with bustles standing on top of the tower.....there was a wooden ladder that ran up the side and folks could climb up to the top! The remains of that ladder are still there in places. While we were there we saw a number of people climbing the sides, I guess you can apply for a permit to climb the tower, but the number is limited each year. I would love to be able to go to the top of that thing!

I'll see if my friend Don can bring his drone and get some pics of the top at least.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

We vacationed up in the Custer state park area for many years, probably 5 or 6 at least. Always a nice place to go so long as you are not there around the 4th of July or in beginning of August for Sturgis. This is probably far enough removed from the 4th so as to not be quite so busy.

Devils tower is a National park and generally speaking drones are not allowed, just like metal detecting.

And just because I was curious, this is from the devils tower website.
https://www.nps.gov/deto/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm

Aircraft
The National Park Service requests that pilots of aircraft maintain a minimum distance of 2,000 feet above the nearest ground mass within national park units. Additionally, there is a 2-mile no-fly advisory zone around Devils Tower (3 miles in June). The use of remotely piloted aircraft, or drones, inside of Devils Tower National Monument is prohibited. Regulations regarding drones are discussed in the above-linked Superintendent's Inventory.

Whee

Quote from: tmsmini on September 25, 2023, 08:09:00 AMLooks like there is an error on the forward to this site:
https://minimeeteast.regfox.com/mmew24

as I get an SSL error on just
https://www.minimeeteastwest.com/
Thanks, will look into it. Link works for me, which is a little odd!

tmsmini

I tried a couple of browsers, firefox and chrome on two different computers, same result with the https protocol. Could be my ISP Comcast/Xfinity though.

MPlayle

I get the same errors if I use the link "as-is".  If I type it as Dave did (http instead of https) then it works - the redirect processes without errors.

I am using the latest Firefox on an older MacBook Pro.

94touring

Changed your intial link so it links. 

I'm planning on carving out time to make this event.  Would love to bring the Inno.

Whee

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I am interested, but have never been to any of the big Mini Meets.  Anyone willing to be a guide for a "newby" to such an event?

MiniDave

No guide needed......just show up and have fun! Dan is planning to go, I'm going, Don is going with his Pup so there will be a few folks you know right off the bat. I think once you get there you'll find all kinds of familiar names that you can now put with a face and car!

The events are well organized, and always include a few drives around the area, an autocross, a car show and I'm sure some other fun things to do. They also leave some "empty" times so you can go off on your own if you want. This area has a TON of cool things to see - including Mt. Rushmore and the Devils Tower (which I'm planning to go see again)

The roads are generally well kept and lots of scenic drives to do....and of course you're welcome to hang with us. For me it's a kind of a reunion - I get to see folks I haven't seen, sometimes in years.

See if you can talk Bruce into coming?

I may stay over a day or two extra - or get there a day or two early, not sure of my exact plans yet, but there is so much to see and do around there.

You can go look at any of the previous MM and see pics of the events, they're all over the web.......or, like I said, just show up!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Whee

I don't think I have much to add to what MiniDave said! Probably the biggest decision is how you get there. Caravan with others, or solo? Once there, the event will have plenty for you to do.

We are making a special effort to make 1st-time attendees welcome - but as Dave says, you're going to know ppl there already.

MiniDave

I have one small suggestion.....nametags - maybe with a pic of the owner's car on it, so people can associate car with face and name?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

There's nothing unusual about having name tags with the person's name and hometown at a Mini Meet but including a car photo would result in additional challenges for the organizers.

MiniDave

OK, name and common screenname used online?

Whatever format they take, it should be a large, easy to read font, so you don't have people staring at your chest while they try to read your name   :grin:

One event I went to they gave out race style lanyards with the clear covers that hold credentials, then the tag could be as big as the holder

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Years ago (before Restoration Mini was born) someone thought it would be cool to have the option of having our Mini Mania screen names added to the name tags. If only I had a nickle for every non-Forum member who asked me what Scargo signified....

Whee

Quote from: MiniDave on January 29, 2024, 06:09:20 PMI have one small suggestion.....nametags - maybe with a pic of the owner's car on it, so people can associate car with face and name?

We spent quite a while on this topic. We decided not to try the photo on name-tag - it is quite challenging. We *will* have car photos linked to participants for the awards banquet though.
Large print on name tags. Good feedback, I am passing onto the responsible committee member.

MiniDave

Quote from: Scargo on January 30, 2024, 03:55:32 PMYears ago (before Restoration Mini was born) someone thought it would be cool to have the option of having our Mini Mania screen names added to the name tags. If only I had a nickle for every non-Forum member who asked me what Scargo signified....

Look at that S car go?   :grin:

But you have to admit it's a good conversation starter! Mine is fairly unimaginative.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I paid my registration fee a moment ago. I plan to caravan up with Dave and Don.  Suppose I should reach out to Dean to see if he wants to join us.  Still undecided if I'll drive or use my trailer to haul.

MiniDave

I'm in! It'll be fun caravanning up.....it's an 11 hour drive from my place but we're going to push on and do it straight thru.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Whee

Carhenge
Quote from: MiniDave on February 01, 2024, 10:12:47 AMI'm in! It'll be fun caravanning up.....it's an 11 hour drive from my place but we're going to push on and do it straight thru.

Carhenge is only an hour out of your way :)