F1 - 2022

Started by Brit_in_TX, October 26, 2021, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brit_in_TX

At the Austin race they had the mock up of the 2022 car.  Be interesting if this is what they look like once the boffins are finished with squeezing every lost drop of competitive advantage out of them.

MiniDave

F1 is getting closer and closer to being a spec race series.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

What a race, the 1st lap kefluffle really killed it for Bought Ass, coupled with a slow stop later in the race just ruined his day, but Max literally blew past Hammy into the first turn so it was a fair and good start for him. He said before the race that if he couldn't be starting first he'd rather start third, and he made that strategy work cleanly. After that it was just a matter of driving off into the sunset...and the victory.

Checho was SO close to finishing ahead of the Hamster but just could not make it happen.....

Ferrari had a decent race finishing 5th and 6th, but I'm really impressed with Pierre Gasly who finished 4th for Toro Rosso.....erm Alpha Tauri

Ferrari has passed McLaren for third in the championship.

Three former champions finished 7, 8 and 9....Vettel, Kim and Alonso, and Lando got 10th

Mercedes put new tires on Bottas so he could deny Red bull the fastest lap (he set a new track record too) so Merc still leads the constructor's by 1 point.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Bottas is in negotiation to test the Alfa Romeo at the end of season test, in mid December.

Williams have announced they will not build a "mule" car for the end of season test to test the new wheels and pirelli tires. 

MiniDave

He well should get some time with the team and in the new cars.....I still think the $30 million dollar man will be his teammate.....even tho Giovanazzi has been showing real improvement this year.

Hammy's thowin shade at Bottas, saying he let Max thru - not that it would have made any difference since his pace was so good.

But what do they expect? Dropping the guy mid season after 5-6 years of one year contracts? If they'd been smart they would have move lonesome George up the day they announced Bought Ass was leaving. I guess they thought Bottas would continue to support the Hamster's efforts to win his 8th......HA! Screw THAT!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on November 08, 2021, 12:53:41 PM
If they'd been smart they would have move lonesome George up the day they announced Bought Ass was leaving. I guess they thought Bottas would continue to support the Hamster's efforts to win his 8th......HA! Screw THAT!

Probably would have cost them millions to buy him out of his contract, as he is probably meeting all of his performance requirements.  He is also gets a pretty decent bonus if Merc win the constructors championship. 

Looking at this website he Bottas does pretty well for himself (I assume that is before bonuses).  The surprise for me is how much Leclerc gets vs Sainz.  Also Norris signed an extension in the middle of the year, so I imagine he has is in the 10s of millions now, as he is keeping Riccardo honest and he is a fan favorite.

https://salarysport.com/motorsport/formula-1/team-salaries/

Brit_in_TX

Final seat has been confirmed for 2022.  Giovinazzi is being dropped by Alfa Romeo - no surprise from me there he has not really shown the speed to qualify for promotion to Ferrari (he is or at least was a Ferrari Academy driver). 

Guanyu Zhou has been confirmed as the first chinese F1 driver.  Which got leaked at the weekend as a Alfa Romeo dealer in Shanghai put up posters confirming it!  Absolutely nothing to do with the $30 million in sponsorship he brings  22.gif

BruceK

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on November 16, 2021, 08:50:40 AM

Guanyu Zhou has been confirmed as the first chinese F1 driver.  Which got leaked at the weekend as a Alfa Romeo dealer in Shanghai put up posters confirming it!  Absolutely nothing to do with the $30 million in sponsorship he brings  22.gif

And that has nothing at all to do with grabbing eyeballs for marketing purposes from the massive Chinese market. 

Not unlike when Hollywood adds a random Chinese character into a movie cast to help it sell better to Chinese audiences. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on November 16, 2021, 08:50:40 AM
Final seat has been confirmed for 2022.  Giovinazzi is being dropped by Alfa Romeo - no surprise from me there he has not really shown the speed to qualify for promotion to Ferrari (he is or at least was a Ferrari Academy driver). 

Ha! Called it.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, another somewhat predictable race, and one that tightens up both championships as Bought Ass once again gets a terrible start, winds up mired in the back of the field, fights his way forward only to have bad luck - a blown tire and later he has to retire from the race.

Nice finish for one guy tho.....and a real surprise! He got a great start but used a good strategy to finish on the podium.

I was surprised Checho didn't catch him by the end, but still good points for Reds Bull.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

Holy crap!  Did you see the prices for F1 tickets in 2022 - in Miami or Austin?  TV for me.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Yeah, we tried to go to Austin last year (or the year before maybe) tix for turn 6 were going to run us $1200 each.

Pass. Maybe if they go back to 20,000 rpm V10's or V12's......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

And $10 for water. $20 for a turkey leg. Etc.... And that was 5 or so years ago.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on December 02, 2021, 12:30:14 PM
Yeah, we tried to go to Austin last year (or the year before maybe) tix for turn 6 were going to run us $1200 each.

WOW! I don't think shared hospitality is much more than that! And that includes free beer!

Brit_in_TX

So the 2022 season started today with a test of mule cars using the 18 inch wheels and some young drivers in 2021 spec cars.

Shows that F1 never pauses, Max Verstappen was back in the car today 2 days after securing the world championship!

MiniDave

First real test in Barcelona in Feb?

Gonna be a long wait..... :(

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Even with it being the latest season finish in years if not ever!

MiniDave

Starting the F1 season off with a bang! The FIA elect a "non-European" to replace Todt....

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/12/17/ben-sulayem-has-no-forgiveness-if-hamilton-broke-fia-awards-rules/?fbclid=IwAR20heMAF6isTC3PVsUNzJjCez6bWNrXPtHWwrNpYR1le3bt0j8c8Q95MME

And he seems to be a strict "follow the damn rules" kind of guy? Wonder how that will impact the on-track rules, like staying on the racing surface?

He's not impressed that the Hamster did not show up at the awards gala.....I can understand Hammy not being happy about going, but them rules is the rules! Says he may have to punish the Hamminator for not coming to the party.....as it's "mandatory" for the top three in the Championship.

Next year might turn out to be more like WWE (WWF? Whatever they call themselves these days) than racing, we'll see......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

Quote from: MiniDave on December 14, 2021, 10:00:05 AM
First real test in Barcelona in Feb?

Gonna be a long wait..... :(

Maybe not a race but still could be a great time - europe with f1!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So... looking down the road a bit, here's a question:  How long do you think it will be until there are no longer internal combustion engines in F1 and the series goes full electric?  In other words F1 effectively becomes Formula E?  I'm thinking within the next  8-10 years, if not sooner.   Technology will continue to improve of course, and F1 is supposed to be at the forefront of automotive technology - it can't stay in the backwater of still using internal combustion engines indefinitely.

I think part of the timeline will be dictated by how quickly regular road cars go full electric.  And of course that is accelerating rapidly. Mercedes-Benz has announced by 2030 they will only sell electric vehicles.  Jaguar will go all-electric even sooner, by 2025. Audi will by 2026, and Ford by 2030 (in Europe).  GM will only sell electric cars by 2035 worldwide, and so on. With that in mind I can't see 2021 F1 Constructors Champions Mercedes Benz, for example, happily running a F1 team in 2030 that still uses gasoline engines in its racecars.  Yes, of course it won't be individual teams making their own engine decisions, it will require a massive change in the the nature of the F1 sport itself.    So I think the push for that change will come from either the teams, or by the FIA looking out for the future relevance of the sport. Or maybe both.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-10/which-cars-going-all-electric-and-when/100529330
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Good point, Audi will be all electric by 2026, the year they will enter F1 with a gasoline or at least ICE?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 20, 2021, 03:13:28 PM
Good point, Audi will be all electric by 2026, the year they will enter F1 with a gasoline or at least ICE?

Doesn't make any sense, does it?  Of course there a certain prestige associated with being a sponsor/team in F1, but separate from that there's always been an underlying current that the cool technology in F1 will somehow filter down to improvements in the automotive sponsor's road cars. (Think Renault and turbocharging back in the '80s for example).  How does that fit if Audi dealerships offer only electric vehicles yet the Audi F1 racecar is still an old-fashioned piston-powered relic?  A bit of a disconnect I think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Thread stealer, but I just don't buy the whole electrification of cars.
First off, they better make them a lot more affordable and how about reliability and what do you do with all those glorious chemical batteries when they fail.  All heard stories of how insanely expensive it is to recycle them. 
Next is infrastructure, who's footing the bill for electric power stations all over the world, the oil companies.  And like they are just going to rollover and stop making uncountable amounts of money?   
Then when we all have our cars plugged in to the sad electric infrastructure that can't even handle AC in the summers and heat in the winters for the current population how many brown out black out whatever is that going to cause. 
I just don't buy it.  Sounds like a great idea, but so did nuclear power from the sales guy.  Maybe a monorail is the answer.  Homer out.

Back to your regular scheduled race talk.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Mark, I hear you.  You bring up some really good points about infrastructure lacking, environmental concerns, and EV affordability, not to mention the idea that the average person would be willing to make a switch from a "regular car".   Yet the "experts" believe there will be an exponential growth to EVs with fully 50% of all new cars sold in the US being electric ones by 2030.  And even higher percentages for EVs are predicted for Europe and China by 2030. 

I remember some people I worked with (of course not all) dismissing the brand new iPhone when it was launched back in 2007.  Remember, these were people in the telecommunications industry and the Company I work for was the sole network provider of the iPhone - there was no other competition other cell phone companies and there were no other smartphones from other makers at that time. These people just didn't see the need for a fancy cell phone that connected to the Internet, and one that hosted various third-party apps.  Why would anyone need them they asked. They were convinced that the smartphone was a silly toy and there was no way that the telecommunications infrastructure could handle the data needs of lots of people on iPhones connecting to the Internet all at the same time.  These were people who joined the company when it was a landlines only enterprise and charging people a lot of money to make long-distance calls was a big profit center.  That was the world they knew which framed their limited outlook.  Yet in just 5 years or so nearly all cellphones sold were smartphones and many people felt they could not live without them for all the features like maps and videos and games and Google and texting and emails and as a total replacement for a standalone camera. Nobody really saw that coming and yet the change happened very quickly.

Of course, even if 50% of new car sales are electric by 2030 that still means there will still be millions and millions of gasoline powered cars on the road. So they won't be some drastic overnight change to electric, especially considering the average age of a car on US roads is 12 years old right now.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S