Opinions on this car?

Started by Whee, February 01, 2019, 07:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

Gentleman who lives near me is looking to buy a regular driver Mini for short commute to work. Possibly some club rides, but freeway usage fairly uncommon. No emissions tests to worry about in his county.

He's looking at this car. I'm not very good on pricing later Japanese cars. More photos needed of floors, windscreen surround, A-panel, boot floor, sills etc. of course, but  could I get your expert opinions on the information we currently have? It's claimed to be rust-free and I know some of the Japanese cars are that way, depending which part of Japan they came from.

https://www.wildchildclassiccars.com/for-sale and look for the 1989 Rover Mini, price $12,500. White with a black dot on the car.

Any other comments on the car? Any thoughts on the acceleration of a 2.9 final drive at Colorado altitude with a 998?

Thanks!

ADRay

the "MK1" modifications to the body are a yellow flag (for my sensibilities anyway) and would be something to inspect closely.

The listed mechanical work that has been done is a plus in my book, especially the coil overs.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

The 2:91 diff will make it slow to get up to speed at 7K altitude, no question. Should have had a 3:44 in it with a 998. The 266 cam will help tho, especially if it had appropriate head work to go along with it.

It's not too hard to change the final drive, it does require engine out tho.....

Overall it looks like a pretty nice little car, too bad about the A/C not working, that's one of the hallmarks of the Jap spec cars - having A/C.

I like the looks of this car - the white/green top and color coordinated interior speak to me.....I think it would be worth a flight down to look at it and drive it.....as long as the buyer knows what to look for (sills, a-panels, headlight area rust etc)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: Whee on February 01, 2019, 07:20:08 PM
Gentleman who lives near me is looking to buy a regular driver Mini for short commute to work. Possibly some club rides, but freeway usage fairly uncommon. No emissions tests to worry about in his county.

He's looking at this car. I'm not very good on pricing later Japanese cars. More photos needed of floors, windscreen surround, A-panel, boot floor, sills etc. of course, but  could I get your expert opinions on the information we currently have? It's claimed to be rust-free and I know some of the Japanese cars are that way, depending which part of Japan they came from.

https://www.wildchildclassiccars.com/for-sale and look for the 1989 Rover Mini, price $12,500. White with a black dot on the car.

Any other comments on the car? Any thoughts on the acceleration of a 2.9 final drive at Colorado altitude with a 998?

Thanks!

The MK I look is quite a common conversion in Japan. I imported a 34k Mini City from the UK and to my surprise it had a 2.9 FD from the factory and it ran fine with great gas mileage but i could see it may be a struggle at altitude.
I took a 1275cc 2.76 FD Mini to a CMU event in TN and it was a chore shifting up and down in those hills, you are way ahead of the game with a 3.44 in hilly country.
That being said i would not let the FD stop me from buying it as long as the body is in the usual good shape they are known for in Japan.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara