Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Quote from: Willie_B on December 06, 2020, 04:11:48 PM
Slow day on the moke. Still sorting the wiring and the extra harnesses that came with it. Got all but one extra wire sorted.

I am using stainless hardware for some of the parts that bolt to the body. Did not like the writing that is made into the bolts, just does not look good. So stick em in the lathe and off with it. I can live with this. Yeah, it's a little thing but now is the time to do it.

If you don't have a lathe a piece of sandpaper on the drill press table and chuck the bolt in the drill press works nice.  I do this to any bolts I use on old equipment restoration and a lot on cars as well.  On my mini I spent time using all correct head marked bolts like bees, linreed, Wiley.   

Looking good!

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on December 06, 2020, 04:11:48 PM
Slow day on the moke. Still sorting the wiring and the extra harnesses that came with it. Got all but one extra wire sorted.

I am using stainless hardware for some of the parts that bolt to the body. Did not like the writing that is made into the bolts, just does not look good. So stick em in the lathe and off with it. I can live with this. Yeah, it's a little thing but now is the time to do it.

I found some phillip's head and allen head stainless bolts for my Moke that I used on the windshield frame and grab handles.

Willie_B

More fun with the moke.

For the wiring harness down the left side from engine compartment to the rear of the side pontoons. There are 5 holes it goes thru, 4 of them are different sizes although the harness is the same size all the way...

Then I noticed that the grommet in the hole right next to the fuel tank had come loose. Of course I did not see this till the tank was installed. That limits the working room to next to nothing. Had to take the fuel pump out to gain what little room there is.

Another after the tank install gotcha was the fuel line out of the tank. I thought the metal tube would be closer to the opening. NOT, it's an 1-1/2" back. Good thing that I have not put the plate in that goes under the whole tank area. Out with a 12" long 1/4" extension to go up beside the tank to reach the hose clamp...

94touring

Willie_B

I had to cut stuff out of the old body so I am not sure how it goes back together. So two steps forward and a half stumble back. Still enjoying it all.

MiniDave

It's a voyage of discovery.... 77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I am not sure of how much you had left from the rusty shell Brad.
From the fuel tank it should have a 2 to 3 inch piece of rubber fuel line then it attaches to 1/4 inch metal fuel line and is routed into the tub area Where a cover covers it and the wiring harness.
It then goes through the bulkhead where another piece of fuel line attaches it to the carb.
Somewhere in that set up a fuel filter is a worthwhile addition.

Willie_B

Hung up on what should be something simple. Where the handbrake cables go through the body. Which way should the cut in the seal point? Seems to me the cable should pass over the solid part of the rubber so it won't slip thru. But the seals don't line up top and bottom when doing it that way.

MPlayle

Brad,

You should have 4 of those plates - two for each cable.  The "humps" align opposite each other to form a tunnel for the cable to pass through with one plate on top of the floor tunnel and the other underneath.  The opening of the "hump" of the plate on top goes toward the front of the Moke.  The plate on the bottom faces the rear of the Moke.  The seals on mine mounted from underneath the floor tunnel.

Willie_B

I have four plates and four seals. I was thinking one seal went under the top plate and one went under the bottom plate. But you are saying both seals go under the bottom plate?

94touring

They all sandwich together but now I can't think which direction the seal goes either.

94touring

I'd do them in this direction.

MiniDave

The way Michael describes it correct, but I only put the rubber seal on the bottom....on a Moke it won't matter anyway if the top seal isn't there.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Mine only had one seal for each pair.  If using all 4 seals, then one goes between each plate and the floor tunnel.

Sandwich style of: plate - seal - tunnel - seal - plate.

MiniDave

Right, I found that dragged pretty hard on the cable, so I just used one on the bottom side. It's just to keep splashes and such out of the inside of the car, so it's not a critical item to have two rubbers

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I will give the one seal on the bottom side a go. Thanks all.

Willie_B

Fun times. All this has to go through that one grommet.  It all fits just do the light sockets first then the rest in the order it's in. Should finish the rest of the wiring tomorrow.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on January 06, 2021, 06:27:40 PM
Fun times. All this has to go through that one grommet.  It all fits just do the light sockets first then the rest in the order it's in. Should finish the rest of the wiring tomorrow.

Would it be any easier to get everything through the grommet before the grommet is sitting in the hole?  Threaded all through the hole, then the grommet, and then later seat the grommet within the hole? 

I don't know, I'm just thinking of alternatives.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Yes. That is why it is all on the table. Already have all thru the grommet and back hanging on the moke. I was told my work time was done for the day. Yes dear...

gr8kornholio

Yea there was a tiny spot in the engine bay of the mini that was fun to get all the wires through. Especially all the bulb sockets for the dash.  One by one.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

The friend that is making the seat covers droped them off today. Got two sets. One in navy blue vinyl, the other set has vinyl backs and blue digital camo cloth on the front. The camo ones should be more comfortable in the summer.

Jimini II

Willie_B

Up and in tomorrow. I was working by myself and got to a point where I thought a second hand would be a good idea to help guide it in place. I have always dropped  in from above.

MiniDave

Is the one in the red car yet?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Very nice seats!  Nice to have the ability to switch 'em out. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara