Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

I am not a badge guy. So for the "MOKE" badge on the front I made it removable. I cut a very thin piece of steel duct work and sized it to fit behind the badge. Then glued it on. On the backside of the grille where the badge goes is a rare earth magnet. So at a show I can apply it, then remove it later. No driving with it on as I figure vibration could cause scratches.

cstudep

Great idea! Rare earth magnets are generally pretty strong, you could probably even glue some felt or something to the back of the metal to reduce the chances of scratching anything while putting it on and taking it off.

Willie_B

94touring

Jimini II

I like that colour.
What colour are the top and seat cushions (presuming you are fitting them) going to be?

Willie_B

Top and seat cushions will be navy blue. Going to have a second set of seat cushions made with blue digital camo cloth on them.

Willie_B

This plastic tag was under one of the VIN plate rivets on the old moke. Is this a factory thing or maybe a USA thing? Before I rivet it on again.

MPlayle

I have been led to believe that was a California thing - to add that tag to vehicles imported into that state to indicate "California Approved".

Willie_B

Quote from: MPlayle on November 08, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
I have been led to believe that was a California thing - to add that tag to vehicles imported into that state to indicate "California Approved".

Could be as it was sold new from a dealer in Compton, CA.

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on November 05, 2020, 04:55:58 PM
Top and seat cushions will be navy blue. Going to have a second set of seat cushions made with blue digital camo cloth on them.

Sounds and should look great.

Willie_B

Small bits but it's started. I don't want to ad too much as I am planning to lift the whole body to install the complete front subframe from underneath.

pbraun

Good solution on the badge!  One bit at a time!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Willie_B

Trying to coat all the areas that don't get paint into them. Lots of those on a moke. Spray it in, wipe the runoff and excess. Think I am going to be cleaning up the excess for quite a while. I got a 30" tube with spray end to really get inside some of the places. While doing that outside I found some places underneath that need seam sealer. Trying to get all this done before adding the heavy bits that would make it a challenge to roll it outside. Already got fussed at for doing some painting in the basement. No more of that.

MiniDave

Why are you going to this much trouble? I know you've spent a ton of time and money on it and want a perfect result, but do you think it will rust in your lifetime?

And I agree, you'll be cleaning that up for a good while, especially on a really hot day if it's been sitting in the sun - if that stuff is anything like Waxoil, it will flow again when it gets hot out.

Know what you mean about painting inside - I tried it on one small part and it stunk up the house for days. Shoot, even when I paint parts outside, if I bring them in too soon the VOC's can get pretty strong.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Where would someone find a can of that stuff?

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on November 22, 2020, 12:43:23 PM

From these folks that make it in the USA. It comes out like water so it will penetrate any and all seams.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/

I used their gas tank cleaning and coating stuff for the moke tank and it looks super.

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on November 22, 2020, 12:33:08 PM
Why are you going to this much trouble? I know you've spent a ton of time and money on it and want a perfect result, but do you think it will rust in your lifetime?

Just the way I like to do things. Now is the time. Do it right the first time kinda of stuff. The spray can of it costs $25 and I figure my time is free so why not eliminate the concern up front.

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on November 22, 2020, 12:55:16 PM
Quote from: 94touring on November 22, 2020, 12:43:23 PM

From these folks that make it in the USA. It comes out like water so it will penetrate any and all seams.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/

Ordered a can with the 360 spray wand. 

Edit:  15% off using this link to anyone else considering a purchase.   http://kbscoatings.refr.cc/danielstoughton

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on November 22, 2020, 01:00:18 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on November 22, 2020, 12:33:08 PM

Just the way I like to do things. Now is the time. Do it right the first time kinda of stuff. The spray can of it costs $25 and I figure my time is free so why not eliminate the concern up front.

I can appreciate that.... 77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Well this is convenient. I was just looking into tank sealer stuff for something completely unrelated.

Willie_B

While waiting for some parts to arrive I decided to check out the wiring harness. Looked scary rolled up and stuffed in the bag. Not too bad draped out on the moke.

Willie_B

The harness has a light for the oil filter switch. Guess that was a part of the cannister style filter housing. Won't be using that. Also has a light for oil pressure but I will be using a guage. Might "T" the oil pressure at the block and run both.

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on December 03, 2020, 03:41:11 PM
The harness has a light for the oil filter switch. Guess that was a part of the cannister style filter housing. Won't be using that. Also has a light for oil pressure but I will be using a guage. Might "T" the oil pressure at the block and run both.

That is what I did when I added a oil and temp gauge to my Moke.
I also used a braided line for the oil pressure gauge, I am not a fan of the copper and especially the plastic lines.

Willie_B

Slow day on the moke. Still sorting the wiring and the extra harnesses that came with it. Got all but one extra wire sorted.

I am using stainless hardware for some of the parts that bolt to the body. Did not like the writing that is made into the bolts, just does not look good. So stick em in the lathe and off with it. I can live with this. Yeah, it's a little thing but now is the time to do it.

gr8kornholio

That's probably why the previous owner of mine used a bunch of chrome bolts since they are smooth and shiny.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.