My internet just got faster

Started by 94touring, September 21, 2009, 01:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

After I disconnected the wireless router!  Would appear as though people are tapping into my internet.  Someone must have been downloading a big file cause it was s l o w. 

MPlayle

If you are using the wireless for yourself, you can easily deter leeching by enabling even just basic WEP access control.  I use that on the little Netgear wireless router I have.  Most leeching occurs because of no security.  Basic security will deter all but the most determined.  If they think you have business records worth hacking for, then most of the wireless security protocols in the routers can be bypassed with varying degrees of effort.

To enable basic security: log into the router's web interface, find the security option tab, select a level of security you know is supported by your wireless card, provide a "key phrase" (text phrase used to generate a key string), generate the security keys, select one key to use and activate it.  Then when you connect your computer via its wireless card, you will be prompted for the key, enter the generated key and you are in.

94touring

Yeah I can't remember how to access the admin interface to setup the security.  I need to look it up online I guess. 

MPlayle

If your wireless router is like my little Netgear one, the router's direct IP address will be noted on the bottom with a very brief instructions.  The admin username is typically "admin", the default password is "password" or not needed.  If you forgot the admin password and did not make a note somewhere (such as in the manual), then you can erset the unit to factory defaults.  There should be a recessed button for doing that (push the end of a paperclip through the hole sort of thing).

94touring

Thanks for the tip.  Now if I could only figure out how to make my custom contact page within the portal so it actually forwards the info to my email.  Tricky tricky. 

Minicop

Quote from: MPlayle on September 22, 2009, 10:43:11 AM
If you are using the wireless for yourself, you can easily deter leeching by enabling even just basic WEP access control.  I use that on the little Netgear wireless router I have.  Most leeching occurs because of no security.  Basic security will deter all but the most determined.  If they think you have business records worth hacking for, then most of the wireless security protocols in the routers can be bypassed with varying degrees of effort.

To enable basic security: log into the router's web interface, find the security option tab, select a level of security you know is supported by your wireless card, provide a "key phrase" (text phrase used to generate a key string), generate the security keys, select one key to use and activate it.  Then when you connect your computer via its wireless card, you will be prompted for the key, enter the generated key and you are in.

Damn!! So what button do I hit to initiate warp 2 Captain Picard? :D